Day 3 wrapping up, what should be the plan moving forward?

I don't think that there are many 35 year old guards starting in the NFL. I think getting 1 more good year out of him would be pushing it...

He was #3 last year and #1 the 2 years prior; how far do you expect him to drop? He may regress some but I'd expect him to be a top 15 guy for at leat the next 2 years and a top 25ish guy for 2 more years.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

and hope? like lastyearMathis and Clay

OMG .

screw the mortgage and screw the kids college fund i want to win now

I don't fault their plan, because good QBs are very hard to find, but there won't be much winning beyond the 1st round of the playoffs with any of the QBs on the roster.

He was #3 last year and #1 the 2 years prior; how far do you expect him to drop? He may regress some but I'd expect him to be a top 15 guy for at leat the next 2 years and a top 25ish guy for 2 more years.

A lot. I am not trying to be a downer, there just are not more than a very few NFL OL that are 35 years old.

I don't fault their plan, because good QBs are very hard to find, but there won't be much winning beyond the 1st round of the playoffs with any of the QBs on the roster.

!960 if the the Bills can score Mathis and Clay, and then coach half smart on offense, there might be a run here.

Edited by 3rdand12

If Miami is out you can probably do Clay, Mathis and still have room for Harvin (especially if you release Urbik & Chris Williams).

I'm counting the days until the team rids themselves of those two, and Pears. The addition of Mathis and Incognito alone would upgrade the line immensely in terms of run blocking.

Just to give some insight into the talent level of Mathis, he is to offensive guards as Shady McCoy is to running backs. The interior of the line would instantly go from a liability to an asset, and probably grade in the top ten this year even with Henderson at RT. JMO

I'm counting the days until the team rids themselves of those two, and Pears. The addition of Mathis and Incognito alone would upgrade the line immensely in terms of run blocking.

Just to give some insight into the talent level of Mathis, he is to offensive guards as Shady McCoy is to running backs. The interior of the line would instantly go from a liability to an asset, and probably grade in the top ten this year even with Henderson at RT. JMO

Agree, I'm hoping Miami pulls the tag so that the Bills can structure a cap friendly offer to Clay. I think that they get Clay (maybe even Mathis) but Harvin may fall through if their cap space is tied up.

Couple of things. No idea why some are up in arms over giving up a #3, as If Buffalo made great use of anything after the 2nd round the last 5 years. Here are the last 5 3rd rounders.

2010 Alex Carrington- nothing

2011 Kelvin Sheppard- trade bait

2012 TJ Graham-bust

2013 Marquise Goodwin- not much

2014 Preston Brown- not much

This is a big reason as to why I was so adamant about giving up this years #1 for anything other then a QB. Buffalo's talent evaluation process "on offense" is very flawed in my view, and bringing in a known sure commodity like McCoy is a way around that. Just like Clay, and Mathis would be.

I'd pull the trigger for a third....this year. We're in win now mode. He most likely has a good 2-3 years left. Once his play drops off, cut bait, and insert one of the guards we'll surely draft this year and next.

A team is never really in a "win now" mode if it doesn't have a qb. The Bills don't have one. They were an 8-8 team last year despite having a great defense (i'm not giving them credit for the win against NE; if that game mattered to the Pats they would have destroyed the Bills), and their qb situation is worse now than it was last season.

Edited by dave mcbride

Couple of things. No idea why some are up in arms over giving up a #3, as If Buffalo made great use of anything after the 2nd round the last 5 years. Here are the last 5 3rd rounders.

2012 TJ Graham-bust

This is a big reason as to why I was so adamant about giving up this years #1 for anything other then a QB. Buffalo's talent evaluation process "on offense" is very flawed in my view, and bringing in a known sure commodity like McCoy is a way around that. Just like Clay, and Mathis would be.

Wrong

2012 TJ Graham-bust

Just because the Bills were bad drafting in the 3rd round for most of this millennium isn't enough of a reason to trade your 3rd this year. Especially when you don't have a 1st or 4th. I ask the question again: Is Dan Snyder running this team? Because he was widely criticized (and rightly so) when trading picks was discussed in previous drafts.

Sign Clay, Harvin, Spikes and Wilfork

I want a proven O-Lineman as much as the next guy, but we swung and missed at the clear upgrades. Use our 2nd round pick on a lineman and 3rd on BPA. More guys will get cut after June 1st and there's other positions we can upgrade.

Just because the Bills were bad drafting in the 3rd round for most of this millennium isn't enough of a reason to trade your 3rd this year. Especially when you don't have a 1st or 4th. I ask the question again: Is Dan Snyder running this team? Because he was widely criticized (and rightly so) when trading picks was discussed in previous drafts.

My point was that 3rd rounder will more then likely not be a starter, not make meaningful impact, and even if by some rare chance the Bills find a diamond in the rough. He may take some time to develop and learn his job. Look at last years draft, and notice that the 2nd rounder was so bad never saw the field all year.

I think Mathis and McCoy go hand in hand because both have about the same career life span left in them. If the Bills are building a run first offense, and have the QB to only manage the game. It makes so much more sense to obtain a known quantity then to be "thinking" a player might make a good starter in the draft. The Bills need to fill that OG position to make the run game work, and what better way then to sign one of the very best at his position.

Normally I wouldn't advocate trading away picks, its just that this player wasn't just elite two years ago. He was the very best OG in the league IMO.

It might not matter anyway because i'm reading the Patriots are thinking of signing him. http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/2015/03/12/report-patriots-eyeing-trade-for-eagles-guard-evan-mathis/jqUPPtbNehPz3EbhIFBDON/story.html

My point was that 3rd rounder will more then likely not be a starter, not make meaningful impact, and even if by some rare chance the Bills find a diamond in the rough. He may take some time to develop and learn his job. Look at last years draft, and notice that the 2nd rounder was so bad never saw the field all year.

I think Mathis and McCoy go hand in hand because both have about the same career life span left in them. If the Bills are building a run first offense, and have the QB to only manage the game. It makes so much more sense to obtain a known quantity then to be "thinking" a player might make a good starter in the draft. The Bills need to fill that OG position to make the run game work, and what better way then to sign one of the very best at his position.

Normally I wouldn't advocate trading away picks, its just that this player wasn't just elite two years ago. He was the very best OG in the league IMO.

It might not matter anyway because i'm reading the Patriots are thinking of signing him. http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/2015/03/12/report-patriots-eyeing-trade-for-eagles-guard-evan-mathis/jqUPPtbNehPz3EbhIFBDON/story.html

They can't sign him. They have to offer the best trade.