Fred Jackson is the Derek Jeter of the Bills

Bocephuz

derek jeter was a very good INfielder

:blink: :blink: :wacko:isn't Jeter despised?

My god, don't you guys get sick of doing this stupid "in" thing. It's not clever, it's not funny, it offers exactly zero to the board, and it is the most annoying thing going around here. Please, for the love of god, just stop this crap already. The same few users doing it over and over and over. It was funny for a week or two, but now it's just stupid and unoriginal. Let the mods do their jobs and lock threads they deem repetitive.

Edited by Mark80

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

No, but it shows that Fred wasn't the problem if all the younger backs couldn't outplay him.

Dixon and Spiller had better YPC ... they just didn't get the same amount of carries. FJ ran the ball 36 more times than Dixon and ended up with 93 more rushing yards, total.

And yet he was our top rusher. Go figure.

Because he had more rushes. Based on YPC, had Jackson, Spiller, and Dixon had an equal amount of carries, Freddie would have been the 3rd leading rusher on the team...

Edit: Beat me to it Gugny

Edited by billsfan1959

By who.. I'm an Orioles fan.. and I can tell you the one guy who wasn't despised when he came into Camden Yards was Jeter. Texeira was hated, A Rod hated, almost every other Yankee was hated.. but no-one I sat by or had talked to had anything bad to say about Jeter

just dumb chit one hears on the radio here in DC

My god, don't you guys get sick of doing this stupid "in" thing. It's not clever, it's not funny, it offers exactly zero to the board, and it is the most annoying thing going around here. Please, for the love of god, just stop this crap already. The same few users doing it over and over and over. It was funny for a week or two, but now it's just stupid and unoriginal. Let the mods do their jobs and lock threads they deem repetitive.

I'm IN agreement with you.

no. the :devil: made me do it.

Compare the teams Jeter played on to the teams Jackson played on.

And Jeter might indeed make the HOF, but if you look at his numbers they are nothing that special. Part of his skill was playing in New York as a Yankee.

Nothing special? How many players in the history of the game had 3000 hits? Answer...28. In the history of the game. And Jeter finished sixth on that list with 3465. Yeah, nothing special, just one of the best in the history of the game.

And Jeter might indeed make the HOF, but if you look at his numbers they are nothing that special. Part of his skill was playing in New York as a Yankee.

Couldn't this be said about Andre Reed, Thurman Thomas and even Jim Kelly? Especially Kelly. Lots of QBs had better stats than he did and those QBs didn't have the defense behind them that Kelly did.

I have to assume that you mean that FREDDY'S numbers were nothing special, right? Jeter had a pretty legit career, regardless what you think of the guy.

Touche

Sorry, couldn't resist. And ironically that was my first "IN", which I never would have posted had you not complained about it.

The fact that the Bills gave up a really good young LB and a lot of cap space to trade for McCoy indicates they don't think Jackson is the future as far as actual playing goes. He's a great leader. So is Kyle Williams. So where was that leadership when the Bills went to Oakland with a chance to solidify their playoff position, and dropped an absolute stinker to the lousy Raiders? Where was the leadership when the Bills gave up winnable games against Houston and KC? Sometimes people get into a comfort zone with what they know, and it holds them back from their potential.

I absolutely love Freddie's game and his attributes as a man. But the Bills traded OJ Simpson when his skills were on the way down. Simpson was a much better player, and even he went. The Bills cut Thurman Thomas when his skills were on the way down (also due to cap problems). Thomas was also much better than Jackson. These things happen. It's part of life, and definitely part of football.

I have to assume that you mean that FREDDY'S numbers were nothing special, right? Jeter had a pretty legit career, regardless what you think of the guy.

Sorry, couldn't resist. And ironically that was my first "IN", which I never would have posted had you not complained about it.

No. My comment on Jeter was not meant to compare him to Fred. Jeter had a storied career, miles beyond what Jackson's done. But if you look at Jeter's numbers and compare them to other HOF players, he wasn't that amazing. A lot of the Jeter love comes from being a Yankee. He was great, but being a Yankee elevates him to god-like status.

No. My comment on Jeter was not meant to compare him to Fred. Jeter had a storied career, miles beyond what Jackson's done. But if you look at Jeter's numbers and compare them to other HOF players, he wasn't that amazing. A lot of the Jeter love comes from being a Yankee. He was great, but being a Yankee elevates him to god-like status.

My god man, he had over 3k hits! Let me guess, you're a Mets fan?

Fred is a great story, no doubt. And he's a holdover from a sad Bills era where we had more good stories than good players. We were constantly rooting for guys to tap potential that no one else saw, to be that diamond in the rough that came out of nowhere. We had dreams of reaching the playoffs led by a QB from Harvard throwing to an undrafted free agent and a 7th round pick at WR, handing off to a RB from little Coe College via NFL Europe via the arena league. Fred was unique in that he actually did become the diamond. (Stevie and Fitz had their moments, too.)

That era is over, thankfully. (It probably ended with the Mario signing. F5.) But as Fred ages, it is going to be difficult to watch him regress from good player to good story. I like good Bills teams, but I like good stories, too. Hopefully the team will find a good way to end this story. I'd hate to see him in the wrong uniform, as we did with Thurman.

kj

The fact that the Bills gave up a really good young LB and a lot of cap space to trade for McCoy indicates they don't think Jackson is the future as far as actual playing goes. He's a great leader. So is Kyle Williams. So where was that leadership when the Bills went to Oakland with a chance to solidify their playoff position, and dropped an absolute stinker to the lousy Raiders? Where was the leadership when the Bills gave up winnable games against Houston and KC? Sometimes people get into a comfort zone with what they know, and it holds them back from their potential.

I absolutely love Freddie's game and his attributes as a man. But the Bills traded OJ Simpson when his skills were on the way down. Simpson was a much better player, and even he went. The Bills cut Thurman Thomas when his skills were on the way down (also due to cap problems). Thomas was also much better than Jackson. These things happen. It's part of life, and definitely part of football.

Good points.. the difference here is that Freddy's cap hit isn't ( adjusted for inflation of course) anywhere near what Thurman, Bruce Andre's impact was. Another difference is that the Bills are at the beginning of a winning cycle (hopefully) rather than the tail end of era. After 4 Super Bowl runs it was time for the Bills to cut bait and plan for the long term. This year the Bills are all in to make the playoffs and are rightfully in win now mode..