Potential Upside of OBD Strategy For Success

The Bills organization is off the life support systems. We are healthy, functioning, and relevant once again.

We now have a clearly thought out and well coordinated plan for talent acquisition and management, and it is being cohesively coupled with a focused strategy for success on the field.

Doug Whaley just summed up the plan: rely on the defense, run the ball, and ask the QB not to turn over the ball. That's the plan.

How far can this take us? Assuming we start a middling QB of Orton ilk, or a developing EJ, and ask that QB to slot into the game manager role, just how far can this formula for success take us?

We are going to find out.

I say it is good for a playoff appearance, probably not a playoff win, and that's about it.

If that is accurate, is that enough? Is it enough for now?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me put it this way. If Tim Tebow led Denver could beat the Pittsburgh Stealers in a playoff game, I think that anyone who doesn't believe EJ could lead The Bills to a Playoff victory has mush for brains.

Edited by Nanker

Let me put it this way. If Tim Tebow led Denver could beat the Pittsburgh Stealers in a playoff game, I think that anyone who doesn't believe EJ could lead The Bills to a Playoff victory has mush for brains.

Tebow played in two playoff games in his career.

The first was an overtime win at home at the Wild Card level.

Then Denver went to New England and they lost 45-10.

So where does this strategy of ours max out?

1 playoff appearance and win?

More? Do you see EJ or an Orton-type going on the road in the playoffs and winning a game?

Well, the Seahawks came within about 6 seconds and 42" of back to back Super Bowls using the very same plan. So there's that.

You mean other than the fact that they have a quasi-elite playmaker at the QB position.

Right.

Bring him in as a FB. Gruden told him at his QB Camp that Tebow reminded him of Allstot

Please stop the Tebow crap!

The entire story of this season is going to be a gamble based on what I believe to be a losing formula, but it's the one we are going with. No one wants to discuss that?

Maybe go back to threads commenting on idiot tweets instead?

More? Do you see EJ or an Orton-type going on the road in the playoffs and winning a game?

You mean other than the fact that they have a quasi-elite playmaker at the QB position.

Right.

Right, Russel Wilson is ALMOST elite, and mostly because of how he RUNS the ball. If they didn't have the luxury of leaning on Lynch like they do, he wouldn't be half as effective.

The entire story of this season is going to be a gamble based on what I believe to be a losing formula, but it's the one we are going with. No one wants to discuss that?

That's the formula because there isn't any other choice. There are no QBs available that offer a real threat. There is no "gamble". So what's the discussion? Edited by Acantha

Well, the Seahawks came within about 6 seconds and 42" of back to back Super Bowls using the very same plan. So there's that.

But the Seahawks have a playmaker at qb. In today's nfl, you cannot advance in the playoffs or do better than 10-6 at best if you don't have a playmaker at qb. The 2011 version of alex smith is far better than anything the bills have.

That denver team was by all rights was a 6-10 team, and they got very lucky.

What successful teams in the past have employed this very strategy? I'm honestly asking, I'm curious what our ceiling is.

Thank you. This was the intent of the thread when I started it.

When I think of a dominant defense winning a Superbowl, I think of the 1985 Bears. And even they had a pretty strong offense with Walter Payton on it! McMahon wasn't great, but he was better than most probably remember him as being too.

Doug Whaley just summed up the plan: rely on the defense, run the ball, and ask the QB not to turn over the ball. That's the plan.

That's the plan this year because there are no difference making QB's available. So this season is play it safe on Offense, ground and pound, and maybe see if EJ can be a good QB and at the very worst Matt Cassel is the starter. But the ultimate plan is to rely on Defense, but find a franchise QB to take some of the pressure off the D...So yes, there is some potential upside at OBD...

Edited by ricojes

The Bills organization is off the life support systems. We are healthy, functioning, and relevant once again.

We now have a clearly thought out and well coordinated plan for talent acquisition and management, and it is being cohesively coupled with a focused strategy for success on the field.

How far can this take us? Assuming we start a middling QB of Orton ilk, or a developing EJ, and ask that QB to slot into the game manager role, just how far can this formula for success take us?

We are going to find out.

I say it is good for a playoff appearance, probably not a playoff win, and that's about it.

If that is accurate, is that enough? Is it enough for now?

yes. the bills are showing that they are committed to trying to re sign valuable (and expensive) players, trade for valuable(and expensive) players from other teams. and entice and pay for valuable (and expensive) coaches. i fully expect they'll continue the trend in free agency. Anyone that has been a bills fan for even a few years knows this is a quantum shift. and it's very welcome. will it be enough this year? who knows but there's plenty of reason for optimism that wasn't there a year ago or even 15 years ago.

But the Seahawks have a playmaker at qb. In today's nfl, you cannot advance in the playoffs or do better than 10-6 at best if you don't have a playmaker at qb. The 2011 version of alex smith is far better than anything the bills have.

If Bills fans truly believed that the Marrone/Hackett offense was as Mickey Mouse as they came, then let's wait and see what we have in EJ and/or a potential "wait and see" before we declare Wilson some unobtainable good.

I don't think there's a whole lot that Wilson does that EJ can't. You won't convince me otherwise.

Right, Russel Wilson is ALMOST elite, and mostly because of how he RUNS the ball. If they didn't have the luxury of leaning on Lynch like they do, he wouldn't be half as effective.

"Almost elite" is a hell of a lot better than anything on this roster at the moment, nor do we have anything close to a QB with Russell's dynamic playmaking and running ability!

It is absurd to suggest that the 2015 Bills are analogous to the Seattle Seahawks of the last 2 years in terms of team makeup, which was your primary point.

That's the formula because there isn't any other choice. There are no QBs available that offer a real threat. There is no "gamble". So what's the discussion?

Kaepernick. Not elite, no. But a hell of a lot better than anything that is going to play on this team this year at the QB position.

The discussion is your prediction for the ultimate upside of this approach to NFL football in 2015.

THIS.

That's the plan this year because there are no difference making QB's available. So this season is play it safe on Offense, ground and pound, and maybe see if EJ can be a good QB and at the very worst Matt Cassel is the starter. But the ultimate plan is to rely on Defense, but find a franchise QB to take some of the pressure off the D...So yes, there is some potential upside at OBD...

Right. You have stated the plan, just like I did.

That isn't the topic of discussion. The topic is how far is that going to take us, or how far can it take any NFL team in the year 2015.

It's not enough. Is it "the best we can do at the moment?"

Maybe.

yes. the bills are showing that they are committed to trying to re sign valuable (and expensive) players, trade for valuable(and expensive) players from other teams. and entice and pay for valuable (and expensive) coaches. i fully expect they'll continue the trend in free agency. Anyone that has been a bills fan for even a few years knows this is a quantum shift. and it's very welcome. will it be enough this year? who knows but there's plenty of reason for optimism that wasn't there a year ago or even 15 years ago.

So keep expectations low, hope for the best...and enjoy that we aren't comatose as a franchise anymore.

This is probably about right. I wish we had 1 more piece to the puzzle though. Something to kick it up a notch.

I.E., more QB than we are probably going to have.

Right.

After our first winning season in years, then followed up by the playoffs. I would say that is progress.

If Bills fans truly believed that the Marrone/Hackett offense was as Mickey Mouse as they came, then let's wait and see what we have in EJ and/or a potential "wait and see" before we declare Wilson some unobtainable good.

I don't think there's a whole lot that Wilson does that EJ can't. You won't convince me otherwise.

I know we won't convince you otherwise. That doesn't make you correct however.

EJ has shown what he has. It's not enough.

But let's not turn this into a freaking EJ thread.

After our first winning season in years, then followed up by the playoffs. I would say that is progress.

Oh for sure it's progress. Would you be satisfied with a first round playoff appearance and loss?

I bet most would be. It would be an exciting week leading up to that game, that is for sure.