Fitz to Jets - trade complete

There is no learning curve in professional sports that is harder than the learning curve to become an established NFL starting QB. EJ Manuel was a 2nd/3rd round developmental QB who was over drafted. So if everyone agrees to this notion, which I'm sure there's almost 100% consent on, then the expectations should indeed change. Why force a developmental/project QB to play just because he was over drafted? That doesn't seem like smart business to me. Yes they made a mistake in over drafting him, but why compound it? If he's ready great, if he doesn't win then it's great that he'll have the opportunity to learn from another seasoned NFL veteran.

The Bills have a 1st round selected player that they just gave a huge multi million dollar contract to, who was declared a bust with the Colts, yet turned he turned it around to become one of the best at his positions in the league for the Bills. The learning curve for his position is light years easier than the QB position.

You compared Cassel/Fitz to EJ. The expectations were different. That's the reality.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You compared Cassel/Fitz to EJ. The expectations were different. That's the reality.

So you expect EJ Manuel to get it right this training camp or he should be cut, right? Is that your position?

Think the Colts still think they were smart jumping the gun and trading their former 1st round "bust" Jerry Hughes?

So you expect EJ Manuel to get it right this training camp or he should be cut, right? Is that your position?

Think the Colts still think they were smart jumping the gun and trading their former 1st round "bust" Jerry Hughes?

No.

You don't agree the expectations of EJ are different from the expectations of a Tom Savage/Aaron Murray/Ryan Nassib?

I think that Manuel was a raw college QB who was over drafted so my expectations right now are that of a 2nd or 3rd round developmental QB. My initial expectations were that he would be an established QB by his second year, but those changed when I saw that he just didn't have a comfort level or a firm grasp of the big job. His play confirmed what the detractors were saying, that he was a raw prospect with high ceiling and a low floor. I still have the hope that he's one of these QBs that with time a light would come on and he'd become a long term answer at QB. I'm glad Cassell's here because I think him being here will help in Manuel's development.

I think that Manuel was a raw college QB who was over drafted so my expectations right now are that of a 2nd or 3rd round developmental QB. My initial expectations were that he would be an established QB by his second year, but those changed when I saw that he just didn't have a comfort level or a firm grasp of the big job. His play confirmed what the detractors were saying, that he was a raw prospect with high ceiling and a low floor. I still have the hope that he's one of these QBs that with time a light would come on and he'd become a long term answer at QB. I'm glad Cassell's here because I think him being here will help in Manuel's development.

Fine, but at the point they were drafted, they were much different, no?

Can't wait for 3000 yards and 21 TD's followed by everyone saying how great he is.

I would certainly take that from EJ Manuel this season.

Yet, Gilmore was called a bust by some idiots on his board. Some even thought Robey should play over him. Smart football people now consider him one of the best young cbs in the game.

But hey, it's so cool to call a young player a bust first.

I am pretty burned out on this debate but I would like to mention that Gilmore has consistently gotten rave reviews in camp every year since he's been drafted. The issue with Gilmore was that he had all the talent in the world, it just took him a little bit (not that long really- he was playing with one hand for half of 2013) to put it together in regular season games. If the reports from camp were that EJ Manuel has shown promising flashes but he was just missing in games then I think the "EJ detractors" would maybe be inclined to have a little more patience with him. Instead everyone waited patiently all last preseason to get one positive report about EJ from camp and after every practice it was the same thing: EJ was simply showing no signs of improvement whatsoever. I will be very anxious to hear how he looks when he shows up this year.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Instead everyone waited patiently all last preseason to get one positive report about EJ from camp and after every practice it was the same thing: EJ was simply showing no signs of improvement whatsoever.

There are very few of us on this board who can say they've been patient with EJ. You, my friend, are not one of them.

Anyone else think that Fitzie's time has just flat passed and he is just there in a vet backup role?

Whoever they put in at QB is just gonna get pummeled by our D anyway

yes. I predict he will be a vet backup/film room guy to help teach Chan's O. He will see his first action around mid season when Geno is benched.

Fitz to start season, if healthy, and then Jets move on to Mariota (I cannot see them passing on him in the draft if he is there) after the bye (assuming a week 7,8,9 bye) - similar to what Houston did last year after acquiring Mallett.