Good Grantland breakdownof compelling free agents

My thoughts on Derrick Morgan is that he sounds a lot like Jerry Hughes at the time the Bills traded for him. Could be the perfect replacement but perhaps more suited to a pure 4-3?

Perhaps, but good players are good players. Hughes thrived for the first time in the nfl under pettine's rex-based system.

After reading that Morgan seemed to stick out to me as well. I am of the opinion that Hughes is a bit overrated and a product of the players next to him. I wouldn't mind him back but just don't want to break the bank for him. Stay tuned Bills fans, this is going to be a wild ride next week.

I actually would like the team to bring in Morgan if Hughes is too expensive for the Bills tastes. Morgan reminds me a lot of what Hughes use to be when he was in Indy (A talented player not in the right role). Of course I don't know if Morgan is a fit for the Rex Ryan system but if the staff feels like he is I think it would be smart to go after him. Playing next to the talent on the defensive line helps any edge rusher and is likely why Hughes turned his career around. Morgan on a solid 2 year deal could fill the hole Hughes possibly leaves.

The Bills are fortunate that there seems to be a lot of talented LB/DE's available if Hughes goes elsewhere.

Besides Pernell McPhee, Brandon Graham and Derrick Morgan you have Jason Worilds, Brian Orakpo and Jabaal Sheard.

Any one of those six could replace Hughes, some of them for less money.

The thing with Hughes is we know what we are getting with him. He will have around 10 sacks every year. Someone else might come in and play just as well or maybe they will do a lot worse. I would hate to give up a guaranteed 10 sacks per year. Maybe he is a product of the system but that product is a good one

The thing with Hughes is we know what we are getting with him. He will have around 10 sacks every year. Someone else might come in and play just as well or maybe they will do a lot worse. I would hate to give up a guaranteed 10 sacks per year. Maybe he is a product of the system but that product is a good one

Any competent (keyword) player with could play in Hughes spot and probably get at least 5-7 sacks. That's a byproduct of playing on a line with the 2 Williams and Dareus. Do I think Hughes production in Buffalo is a complete product of playing with them? Absolutely not, he's talented in his own right. But you could likely find many other players to fill his role and still get enough production for the defense to succeed at a cheaper rate

Any competent (keyword) player with could play in Hughes spot and probably get at least 5-7 sacks. That's a byproduct of playing on a line with the 2 Williams and Dareus. Do I think Hughes production in Buffalo is a complete product of playing with them? Absolutely not, he's talented in his own right. But you could likely find many other players to fill his role and still get enough production for the defense to succeed at a cheaper rate

we thought the same thing about Mark Anderson and that didn't happen

we thought the same thing about Mark Anderson and that didn't happen

He only played 5 games...and never played again. That may be an outlier. 5 games isn't enough to analyze a player in a new scheme IMO

I love Hughes but I think playing on our d line is like steroids for a d linemen. I think any guy with decent talent can become an impact player.

I'm all for giving former 1st round picks another shot. The 49ers and Seahawks do this all the time.

He only played 5 games...and never played again. That may be an outlier. 5 games isn't enough to analyze a player in a new scheme IMO

He was horrible in those 5 games, and his replacement wasn't any better. In many ways, Hughes made the others look good too. In certain games -- i.e., the vikings game, which in retrospect was a really good, hard-fought win against a team that was more talented than I thought it was -- he was an unstoppable force: unblockable on many plays.

Btw, this is a good grantland report card of the 2014 free agency period fr every team. The one flaw regarding the bills analysis is the failure to mention orton, who was a great pickup in relative terms: http://grantland.com/the-triangle/free-agent-report-card-which-teams-made-the-nfls-honor-roll/

It would be very bad news if the Bills aren't able to resign Hughes. That's because there is no guarantee that they would be able to sign any of the other guys that have been mentioned. Our defense would definitely take a big hit if that were the case.