Has Dealer Doug earned benefit of the doubt?

Trades are very rare in the NFL... But Dealer Doug could care less. In his 2 years as GM Whaley has already made 2 major player for player trades ( Hughes/ Sheppard) and now Shady/ Kiko. Throw in the draft trades ( Watkins/ Browns), Stevie Johnson for a 4th rounder snd then trading that to Eagles for Bryce Brown and that equals 5 trades in 2 years. This must be some sort of modern day record.

I'm a little skeptical about this one for Shady.. But I gotta give him benefit of the doubt as the Stevie trade abd Hughes trade were both great moves in in hindsight.

What do you all think? Does Whaley deserve the benefit of the doubt?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the proactive moves the FO is taking to improve the offense... Sadly, it hasn't exactly translated to total success. Time will tell.

PS- At a glance, I genuinely thought this threads title started "Has Dealer Drugs....".

:bag:

Why SJ didn't do anything last year.

He did fine. He was buried on the depth chart of a run first team with Collin Kaepernick throwing him the ball. He was more productive on a per snap basis than Crabtree was. I'm guessing most would take Crabtree over Brown.

I like the proactive moves the FO is taking to improve the offense... Sadly, it hasn't exactly translated to total success. Time will tell.

PS- At a glance, I genuinely thought this threads title started "Has Dealer Drugs....".

:bag:

Hah...

He did fine. He was buried on the depth chart of a run first team with Collin Kaepernick throwing him the ball. He was more productive on a per snap basis than Crabtree was. I'm guessing most would take Crabtree over Brown.

This. SJ was fine when on the field. Lack of stats has the t shirt haters foaming at the mouth.

This. SJ was fine when on the field. Lack of stats has the t shirt haters foaming at the mouth.

I think we'd have different feelings about it if Marrone had actually deigned to utilize Brown (and Caveman Mike Williams).

I also don't think Marrone would have used SJ much - just a feeling, SJ being kind of a free spirit and Marrone being kind of a "toe the line and shut up" kind of guy

For me, he has. He is trying to create a roster that can make the playoffs. They were closer without kiko than they were with him. They could have gotten there with a better running game. They lost by 2 Pts to Oakland on a day they ran for 13 yards as a team. They failed to run the ball in all if their losses last year and it further affected already mediocre to worse QB play. Let's face it, Whaley has a set.

For me, he has. He is trying to create a roster that can make the playoffs. They were closer without kiko than they were with him. They could have gotten there with a better running game. They lost by 2 Pts to Oakland on a day they ran for 13 yards as a team. They failed to run the ball in all if their losses last year and it further affected already mediocre to worse QB play. Let's face it, Whaley has a set.

Yup. I like the guy. I don't love all his moves, but I've agreed with his overall philosophy and how he's gone about rebuilding this team. I was happy when they hired him away from Pittsburgh and he's only lived up to my hopes as he has moved up the ranks. Now, with Pegula's checkbook supporting his approach to building a team, I have more faith than I've had in a long time that this franchise is going in the right direction.

The trade today only strengthened that opinion for me. And I like Kiko's game... but we just got a special player at a position of need for a guy who didn't play a snap for this defense in 2014. It's a win now move. I like it.

Yup. I like the guy. I don't love all his moves, but I've agreed with his overall philosophy and how he's gone about rebuilding this team. I was happy when they hired him away from Pittsburgh and he's only lived up to my hopes as he has moved up the ranks. Now, with Pegula's checkbook supporting his approach to building a team, I have more faith than I've had in a long time that this franchise is going in the right direction.

The trade today only strengthened that opinion for me. And I like Kiko's game... but we just got a special player at a position of need for a guy who didn't play a snap for this defense in 2014. It's a win now move. I like it.

im further impressed that he seemingly has convictions and believes in his moves to the point where he's ok with upsetting the fan base because he's confident in the outcome. Kiko was a very popular player. He has taken a lot of heat for the Sammy trade. But he believes these two players, Sammy and Shady, will help the team finally get over the hump as the continue to try to solve the QB position. Sheppard for Hughes was legendary.I give him credit for bold moves. He has a vision. Edited by YoloinOhio

Thank you. Everybody is so caught up in arguing about "the value of the RB position" and salaries and declining skills that everybody forgets how awful our run game was as soon as CJ went down. It completely handcuffed Hackett and Marrone and forced them to lean on a coward QB who already mentally checked out a few weeks earlier.

I'd argue we didn't make the playoffs for the following reasons, in no particular order: red zone inefficiency, bad penalties at critical times, poor running game. Consider one of those major issues fixed. Now we just need a QB as good or better than Orton. And with a RB like McCoy, maybe we can get away with a QB slightly less talented than Orton.