Spiller: EJ may have been too "buddy-buddy" with players

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

EJ lacks that !@#$ part of his personality that a lot of great QBs have. Even during training camp when we were getting so many reports that the offense was absolutely terrible and couldn't do anything EJ would get to the podium and talk about how pleased he was with the work the offense did. He needs to be more accountable and hold others more accountable.

Then again, it's tough to hold others accountable when you're also playing like a scrub.

Not for nothing, but calling out players about how they were performing in training camp isn't exactly a good way to build a relationship. Did EJ look underwhelming, sure. But saying that the WR's, Oline, etc are the problem with his development isn't something I would endorse. You'd end up with a "Paul Crewe" having your team quit on you.

Edited by The Wiz

CJ just talked about this. Said he felt EJ *was* too buddy buddy with some of the young guys he came in with and didn't know how to relate (or maybe, yell at / hold responsible?) some of the older guys.

He also said that he thinks EJ can be a good QB in the league and just rolled his eyes asking "how can you judge a guy on 14 starts?"

When it comes to being assertive and aggressive people pretty much are who they are.

I am an executive chef and I see it in kitchens every day. Many people are great working a line, but if you ask them to lead the kitchen for a night they simply cannot control it and command the respect of the other cooks/waitstaff. It can be learned but some are just naturals. The people who are naturals are the ones who end up excelling in the industry. The people who are not usually stay working a line or more often leave the industry and do something else.

Sure it's a different field than NFL football but group dynamics are pretty much the same in any setting. People who are natural leaders are almost always more effective than people who are working really hard at being leaders. Heck, sometimes the most talented cooks are not the ones who end up running the kitchen.

This does not bode well for EJ in my opinion. It's going to be tough for him but I wish him the best. I just don't see it happening.

Did you act like an executive chef your first year out of culinary school and boss around a bunch of experienced vets that had been there doing it for years???

Leadership can be inherent but even the strongest leaders, particularly any worth respecting know they need to earn their stripes before they can credibly bark orders.

CJ just talked about this. Said he felt EJ *was* too buddy buddy with some of the young guys he came in with and didn't know how to relate (or maybe, yell at / hold responsible?) some of the older guys.

He also said that he thinks EJ can be a good QB in the league and just rolled his eyes asking "how can you judge a guy on 14 starts?"

there. some sanity. to all the CJ haters popping off already