One of the Biggest Busts Ever?

Mark80

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Texans should have taken a Quarterback or traded back and taken a Quarterback for my money. Would that have meant either a reach or shopping the #1 pick for historically low compensation? Probably, but they were a team with defensive talent and Arian Foster. That their 2013 season fell apart was not a true reflection of the team but a reflection of their circumstances. They didn't have a franchise Quarterback, Fitzpatrick was their likely starter and they were unlikely to be drafting that high again this year. Take the Quarterback you think has the best shot to be your franchise guy, use Fitz as a placeholder, continue to build the D in later rounds around JJ Watt and run the ball lots with Foster. As it is Houston is the team probably most like Buffalo. A franchise QB away from competing. When they got a guy to play at a league average level for a couple of years in Matt Schaub they were a play-off team.

Hey Gunner, I agree with you that the Texans should have invested in a QB. It is possible, though, that they think Mallet could be the guy in which case it's a bit puzzling that they haven't signed him yet.

That said, I think if you check the numbers, the Texans got something like 5, arguably 6 years of top-10 QB play out of Schaub. No, seriously - the whole deal. Low INTs, AY/A well over 7, pushing 8 yds, completion percentage in the high-60s, three seasons of >4000 yds passing. It's not just #s either, he really played very well for them. Then the wheels fell off in 2013. I don't know what the deal was - yips, undisclosed repetitive use nerve damage, whatever, it seems his arm is gone.

I think it unfortunately colored their thinking as a franchise, that since they had so much success making a modest trade (2 2nd round picks) for an unheralded QB who gave them a good run, they can make a trade or pick up any QB who has shown a hint and make good with him.

Fitzpatrick wasnt that bad, I thought. The run game was bad considering they were using a fairly old running back. I could see the Bills making the playoffs with Fitz...

I wasn't criticisimg Fitzpatrick. I was criticising their strategy. I was suggesting that they should have taken a Quarterback last year given that they were not a team devoid of talent and weren't likely to be drafting that high every year and that there were 4 who were considered reaches as #1 picks but who were all seen at one point or another as top 10 guys. As it is they went with Clowney and at Quarterback they still have Fitz and then Mallet who they don't really know about.

Hey Gunner, I agree with you that the Texans should have invested in a QB. It is possible, though, that they think Mallet could be the guy in which case it's a bit puzzling that they haven't signed him yet.

That said, I think if you check the numbers, the Texans got something like 5, arguably 6 years of top-10 QB play out of Schaub. No, seriously - the whole deal. Low INTs, AY/A well over 7, pushing 8 yds, completion percentage in the high-60s, three seasons of >4000 yds passing. It's not just #s either, he really played very well for them. Then the wheels fell off in 2013. I don't know what the deal was - yips, undisclosed repetitive use nerve damage, whatever, it seems his arm is gone.

I think it unfortunately colored their thinking as a franchise, that since they had so much success making a modest trade (2 2nd round picks) for an unheralded QB who gave them a good run, they can make a trade or pick up any QB who has shown a hint and make good with him.

Yep, I was probably a little harsh on Schaub. However, even in that run I'm not sure he was ever a guy who went out and "won" you games. He was I suppose similar to what Alex Smith is now with the Chiefs.

they said the same about mario williams and look at him now. he'll never live up to his hype, just like luck will not. they were drafted so high and given so much. mario williams is perhaps the best DE in the league over the last 5 to 6 years. he is also one of the best defenders in the league over that span, with only a few guys joining the conversation. patrick peterson, jj watt, ko simpson, and thoguh i think he's overrated kuechly.

First of all, Mario Williams never had microfracture surgery on his knee. A procedure where 100% recovery is the exception rather than the rule. While Clowney will, most likely, return to the field at some point, when he does will he still have that blazing speed and acceleration? Those are the traits that made him a generational type prospect and those are what are directly impacted by this procedure, usually.

Second, when did anybody every say that Luck will not make it or live up to his hype? I have never heard that from anyone.

I always thought it was a stupid risk for the Texans to take simply because they already had JJ Watt, they didn't need to take a gamble in hopes of striking it rich on another Defensive End. They shoulda went after a Qb....but at least it's good to know the Bills aren't alone when it comes to neglecting that position

I had micro fracture surgery in '08 and I can tell you first had that I lost my explosiveness. I used to be able to leap from the couch to the fridge in two steps pre-surgery and have the beer open by the third step. No more. Now, I'm sitting here on day three after partial knee replacement surgery and I suspect I'll be walking to the fridge like every one else now - my explosiveness all gone.....thank God I don't have a multi-million dollar contract to feel embarrassed about....