Keeping Our Own First?

I'll be really disappointed if we can't keep Searcy and Easley. Not elite players by any means, but important contributors who've both developed as Bills.

I'm certain Hughes is as good as gone. But I'm not sure why these two haven't been extended prior to now, especially considering Whaley's "core belief" of developing and "keeping our own" first.

Also, we sure as hell aren't paying a franchise QB 18M per year, so cap space shouldn't be an excuse.

I realize that we have Gilmore, Dareus, and maybe Glenn coming up; but Searcy and Easley should be retained and it should be reasonable to do so.

Hopefully, I'm pleasantly surprised and we keep them and pull in some other good free agents, but I'm not holding my breath.

Ryan @RyanTalbotBills 10m10 minutes ago

Whaley discusses free agents Spiller and Hughes: http://buf.scout.com/story/1518987-gm-doug-whaley-speaks-on-spiller-and-hughes?s=24 #Bills #BillsMafia

Jay Skurski @JaySkurski 6m6 minutes ago

The Bills want to re-sign WR Marcus Easley. Doug Whaley calls him a "hell of a special teams player." No disagreement here.

Joe Buscaglia @JoeBuscaglia 14m14 minutes ago

Doug Whaley basically fawned over Marcus Easley when asked. They want him back. Bad. Easley is a UFA on 3/10

Edited by YoloinOhio

I'll be really disappointed if we can't keep Searcy and Easley. Not elite players by any means, but important contributors who've both developed as Bills.

I'm certain Hughes is as good as gone. But I'm not sure why these two haven't been extended prior to now, especially considering Whaley's "core belief" of developing and "keeping our own" first.

Also, we sure as hell aren't paying a franchise QB 18M per year, so cap space shouldn't be an excuse.

I realize that we have Gilmore, Dareus, and maybe Glenn coming up; but Searcy and Easley should be retained and it should be reasonable to do so.

Hopefully, I'm pleasantly surprised and we keep them and pull in some other good free agents, but I'm not holding my breath.

Holding your breath is not a good idea at any time. It's also possible Searcy wants to be a free agent and see other offers. Keeping our own is the plan but the player has to want to sign also.

I think Easley will stay. I think Searcy will get overpaid. That's fine. Easily replaceable. There are always veteran safeties available fairly cheap that are as good as he is. It would be nice to keep him but would not want to waste a lot of money to do it. Other, more important positions to address.

Same with Spiller, would like to keep him but he can be replaced for a lot less than he is probably asking/will get.

Jay Skurski @JaySkurski 17m17 minutes ago

Don't be surprised to see S Da'Norris Searcy get a big contract in free agency. Whaley referred to it as "starter money." Underrated player.

My prediction - Searcy signs elsewhere and is replaced with Duke Williams. Searcy will get big money somewhere, deservedly so, but he played about 60% of snaps for us last year and was much more consistent in Schwartz's D than Pettine's and I think he may not be worth the big contract in Rex's D. Love the guy/player, just think they let him go and see him going somewhere like Atl.

probably in discussions with 1 if not both right now. february isnt a rare time to address these deals.

Whaley confirmed Hughes has been a top priority; offers have already been exchanged

Jay Skurski @JaySkurski 3m3 minutes ago

Whaley said the #Bills want to avoid using the franchise tag on Hughes because they want him long term, another sign a deal may be close.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Holding your breath is not a good idea at any time. It's also possible Searcy wants to be a free agent and see other offers. Keeping our own is the plan but the player has to want to sign also.

I don't understand why this concept is so hard to grasp. Every team wants to keep all or most of their free agents, yet every year there are a bunch of free agents that cash in on big deals.

When a lot of players only receive one or maybe two big pay days in their career, it makes sense becoming a free agent and seeing your options.

I don't understand why this concept is so hard to grasp. Every team wants to keep all or most of their free agents, yet every year there are a bunch of free agents that cash in on big deals.

When a lot of players only receive one or maybe two big pay days in their career, it makes sense becoming a free agent and seeing your options.

yet every year fans whine "we let so and so walk for nothing!" It's called free agency and managing to a salary cap. Edited by YoloinOhio