WR Dorial Green-Beckham

YoloinOhio

I realize that all of that is true...all I meant to point out is that smaller, home-run-type backs tend to have that ebb-and-flow to their game where they have 7 or 8 carries for very few (or negative) yards, and then pop a long run, and that that's not a bad thing (so long as the big runs keep coming).

I just think Barry was a bit more consistent haha. I also don't think that type meshes well with our current needs. But now we're getting derailed in a topic about a WR prospect so I digress :rolleyes:

I just think Barry was a bit more consistent haha. I also don't think that type meshes well with our current needs. But now we're getting derailed in a topic about a WR prospect so I digress :rolleyes:

Yeah, sorry, didn't mean to throw the topic off-kilter.

Agree on both comments though--Barry was one of the all-time greats, and yes, I think a 4-yards-consistently type of back more fits the Roman-style running game. I just really like having the type of guy that can go the distance any time he gets the football. Those guys seem to be easier to find nowadays though (Atlanta picked up Antone Smith off the scrap heap, and he had 5 TDs of more than 40 yards on something crazy like 35 offensive touches last year).

Not fer nothin', but didn't Barry Sanders have a HOF career doing exactly that?

No. Sanders, if you ever saw him play, would never remind you of CJ. They were nothing alike in any way--complete opposites, actually.

And CJ is not a "home run back". That myth needs to end.

No. Sanders, if you ever saw him play, would never remind you of CJ. They were nothing alike in any way--complete opposites, actually.

And CJ is not a "home run back". That myth needs to end.

I didn't compare the players; I said that Barry had a lot of no-gains and short-gains with big plays mixed in, just as the other poster mentioned.

Also, we've been through this before...prior to the 2014 season, Spiller was 2nd in the NFL in rushes of 20 yards or more over the previous 2 seasons. That's nearly verbatim what a big-play (a/k/a "home run") back does.

I didn't compare the players; I said that Barry had a lot of no-gains and short-gains with big plays mixed in, just as the other poster mentioned.

Also, we've been through this before...prior to the 2014 season, Spiller was 2nd in the NFL in rushes of 20 yards or more over the previous 2 seasons. That's nearly verbatim what a big-play (a/k/a "home run") back does.

Sanders had far more carries, every year, than Spiller ever has had. If Spiller had to average his output over 300 carries per season, as Sanders did 7 of 10 seasons, his "5 YPC average" would drop like a stone, without question.

In 2013, Spiller had 9 carries over 20 yards (Terell Pryor had 8, by the way--and a 6.9 ypc avg!)--only 12% of his carries resulted in 1st downs (easily the worst of the top 20 RBs). And he has more fumbles than rushing TDs (12 his entire career).

That's not a HR hitter

Until we fix this o-line, RB, and QB situation, I could care less about WR/TE. That's the last of our worries on offense.

Is it though? A big pass catcher has to be acquired. It is in the need column not the want column. The needs are: 1-2 QBs, a big pass catcher, an Olineman, a RB and a situational pass rusher if Hughes leaves. The wants would be a corner (even like Revis), a safety, a LB, a DT (even though they say they want one).

Until we fix this o-line, RB, and QB situation, I could care less about WR/TE. That's the last of our worries on offense.

They can fix them all but QB in FA and draft, need to continue to help the QB we have. They really need a big bodied pass catcher in the red zone. Mike Williams was the "good try good effort" for last year. Didn't work out for whatever reason.

As you talk about him, I get to thinking that I could easily see someone like Jerry Jones taking a shot at DGB in the 1st.

I could even envision a GM that's very secure in his job, like Seattle's John Scheider, taking him later in the 1st based on upside alone.

My favorite is St Louis, they have a need and a coach not afraid to take him on.

Not nuts at all. We are in dire need of a big athletic target... whether it be WR or TE. Someone of that physical nature would help EJ out tremendously (or whomever our QB is). The only question is... will his talents translate to the NFL, but that's how it is for just about any draft pick.

Or he could pull a Marshawn and get kicked out of B-LO for doing stupid things and do really really well for some other team...