All-22 breakdown of 49ers run game

YoloinOhio

EJ has a much better chance at success under Roman, if we can't get anyone else to take the job from him.

I have watched most of the 49ers games the past 3-4 years and I really liked what they put together offensively. This year was a bad year for them due to the circumstances.

EJ has a much better chance at success under Roman, if we can't get anyone else to take the job from him.

I have watched most of the 49ers games the past 3-4 years and I really liked what they put together offensively. This year was a bad year for them due to the circumstances.

EJ is much much slower than Kaep. Two of the plays outlined there were dependent on Kaepernicks speed alone. EJ would have been tackled on both plays. HE is not nearly as elusive of a player. I think he will be mor eproductive in this offense than he has been with us but I dont think EJ is the best player to run this type of game. He can run when necessary but I havent seen any flash of elusiveness out of him in the open field.

EJ is much much slower than Kaep. Two of the plays outlined there were dependent on Kaepernicks speed alone. EJ would have been tackled on both plays. HE is not nearly as elusive of a player. I think he will be mor eproductive in this offense than he has been with us but I dont think EJ is the best player to run this type of game. He can run when necessary but I havent seen any flash of elusiveness out of him in the open field.

I agree, I don't think they should run the same offense with EJ as they did Kap. Even without the elusiveness from the QB position, the run game will improve. We probably won't see as many designed QB runs as the niners did with Roman, which I think is a good thing.

What Roman seems to do so well is setup the blockers so that they don't have to push back a defender 3 yards to create a good hole. He also does a nice job of countering what the defense is doing and keeping them off balance.

Finally, we might see more than the same 3 running plays all year.

I didn't watch a lot of 49ers games this past year. Can you expand on what made it a bad year for them this year vs. other teams wising up/defending them better?

EJ is faster than Alex Smith, and he played pretty darn well with Roman's run game.

EJ is faster than Alex Smith, and he played pretty darn well with Roman's run game.

Yea I think Roman will set EJ up better than Marrone did but I mean specifically this type of offense showed in the article. They changed the offense from Alex Smith to Kaep. That said I still would rather have another QB, I just don't believe in EJ.

What are you basing your opinion that Colin is way faster than EJ

I didn't watch a lot of 49ers games this past year. Can you expand on what made it a bad year for them this year vs. other teams wising up/defending them better?

Offensive line had some injuries, Boone held out in camp and it reflected in his play the first few weeks. The main problem on the line was their rookie center Marcus Martin struggling in his first year. The group still had a fine year, but not quite on the level of the years prior. Their offensive line is known for being dominant in the run game, but weak in pass protection. That trend continued this year, but there were great issues with the passing game on the whole.

Their passing game just didn't click at all this year. They were still dominant on the ground. After NFL defenses learned to respect Kap's legs and his arm strength, Roman had to get more creative with the playbook, but I think ultimately Kap couldn't keep up. So they simplified the offense. This led to them continuing to do what they do on the ground, where their sheer talent on the line and Gore's toughness and field vision can always get the job done, but having all kinds of trouble through the air. It seemed like they wanted Kap to stay in the pocket and go through his progressions (which obviously a QB should do) instead of taking off and running, but he hasn't shown the ability to do it.

I've read articles where players talked about how big and complex the playbook was. Teams couldn't properly gameplan for the Niners because of how many things they were throwing at their opponents. They thrived with Alex Smith, because I think Alex Smith has the better nonphysical skills that a QB needs. We certainly remember playing him in 2012 right? The simplified offense was for Kap, but Kap has been struggling to read defenses and see the field, which simplifying the playbook can't quite help.