Rotoworld ranks NFL roster quality by team

YoloinOhio

My problem with this list in Indy at #7. They have 3 great players in Luck, Hilton and Davis. Mathis is good, but missed a year and is getting up there in age. Reggie Wayne is no longer a factor and they have no running game. No one else on their defense is formidable. Obviously, as we constantly discuss when this stuff comes up, an elite QB makes up for a lot. But as a whole roster, the Colts are pretty bad.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because a) the Pats are arguably the best team in the league and far better than the Bills; b) the Pats have far better coaches; and c) the Bills are just about always annihilated by them in Foxborough. They hadn't won there since 2000.

i realize they hadn't won there, but don't see it being an obvious annihilation. They went there last year with Thad and were still in the game in the 4th qtr. Same thing in October. It was close until the end. I don't think they would win, but I think it would have been pretty competitive, since the last three times they played they have been.

i realize they hadn't won there, but don't see it being an obvious annihilation. They went there last year with Thad and were still in the game in the 4th qtr. Same thing in October. It was close until the end. I don't think they would win, but I think it would have been pretty competitive, since the last three times they played they have been.

Not to mention at the end of the year the Bills defense was rolling. Don't think that they would have won but the are/were built to beat the Pats (pressure up the middle).

Not to mention at the end of the year the Bills defense was rolling. Don't think that they would have won but the are/were built to beat the Pats (pressure up the middle).

Rex will get us to that level. If Idzik had given him any talent these past couple year (Sheldon Richardson notwithstanding), the Jets would have at least split with the Pats.

The problem with this sort of thinking is that the Pats are simply a far better 4th quarter team -- largely because of coaching and qb play. I can't tell you how many times I've seen teams hang around four 2.5-3 quarters and then simply get blown out in the last 20 minutes of a game. That's where coaching and ability to exploit evident weaknesses comes into play. Teams like the Bills hope that their best assets and style of play are good enough to carry them to victory in a game, but the Pats shift around to radically different styles and assets both game to game and in-game. They aren't of necessity wedded to one style. It's why they are who they are. The likes of Doug Marrone can hang around with Belichik for a little while, but the outcome is more or less foreordained. He's going to be outcoached, and his qb is going to be outplayed in crunch time.

Edited by dave mcbride

The problem with this sort of thinking is that the Pats are simply a far better 4th quarter team -- largely because of coaching and qb play. I can't tell you how many times I've seen teams hang around four 2.5-3 quarters and then simply get blown out in the last 20 minutes of a game. That's where coaching and ability to exploit evident weaknesses comes into play. Teams like the Bills hope that their best assets and style of play are good enough to carry them to victory in a game, but the Pats shift around to radically different styles and assets both game to game and in-game. They aren't of necessity wedded to one style. It's why they are who they are. The likes of Doug Marrone can hang around with Belichik for a little while, but the outcome is more or less foreordained. He's going to be outcoached, and his qb is going to be outplayed in crunch time.

i don't think there is a problem with my sort of thinking. I thought they would lose in a competitive game, because that is what occurred the last three times they played, two of which were QBd by EJ and Thad. No one can predict exactly what would have happened, nor does it probably matter as a loss is a loss. But I would never assume an annihilation. Because the Bills didn't get annihilated by anyone. If your definition of that is a close game until the 4th when the other team pulls away, then ok. Mine is a game where the Bills were never even in it and couldn't land any counterpunches. I just don't see why that would have been the case.

It's not a ranking of the last 15 years. It is a ranking of today. Are they the 24th most talented team in the NFL?

According to that writer yes they are... An article is only going to reflect what the writer or writers think. This is what people don't understand. Bills are 24th here maybe 21st on someone else's.

This is the guy that has everyone in an uproar over. If you bother to look for a persons bio it might make you feel better... The guy is a fantasy football player that likes football. That is his credentials...

http://subscribers.footballguys.com/2012/12twitter_evansilva.php

I always look at the articles writer b.c it tells me how much football knowledge they really have.

Edited by Beef Jerky

According to that writer yes they are... An article is only going to reflect what the writer or writers think. This is what people don't understand. Bills are 24th here maybe 21st on someone else's.

This is the guy that has everyone in an uproar over. If you bother to look for a persons bio it might make you feel better... The guy is a fantasy football player that likes football. That is his credentials...

http://subscribers.footballguys.com/2012/12twitter_evansilva.php

I always look at the articles writer b.c it tells me how much football knowledge they really have.

Ha ha, I hear you. It just boggles my mind that this guy is given a forum to express that opinion. The whole list is terrible. The Colts as the 7th most talented team???? They have luck, TY and Davis and the rest of their roster is garbage. How are they ahead of the Cowboys for example?

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Ha ha, I hear you. It just boggles my mind that this guy is given a forum to express that opinion. The whole list is terrible. The COlts as the 7th most talented team???? They have luck, TY and Davis and the rest of their roster is garbage. How are they ahead of the Cowboys for example?

i feel like ive seen several say the bills should be higher based on their record, but the colts (who were in the AFCCG) should be outside the top 10.

i don't think there is a problem with my sort of thinking. I thought they would lose in a competitive game, because that is what occurred the last three times they played, two of which were QBd by EJ and Thad. No one can predict exactly what would have happened, nor does it probably matter as a loss is a loss. But I would never assume an annihilation. Because the Bills didn't get annihilated by anyone. If your definition of that is a close game until the 4th when the other team pulls away, then ok. Mine is a game where the Bills were never even in it and couldn't land any counterpunches. I just don't see why that would have been the case.

The game with Thad Lewis wasn't particularly competitive. I watched that game was never really in doubt, as the win probability graph for this game shows: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201312290nwe.htm

i feel like ive seen several say the bills should be higher based on their record, but the colts (who were in the AFCCG) should be outside the top 10.

I hear you and I don't mean to talk to out of both sides of my mouth (and I am a little bit). I think that the AFC is REALLY weak after New England. I think that the Bengals have more talent than the Colts but I guess that I shouldn't use the record to make my argument. I stand by the fact that I think that the Bills are in the teens in terms of talent (record aside) and the Colts are not the 7th most talented roster in football. The Cowboys should be in the top 5-8 IMO, the Giants lower and so on. The whole list I disagree with.

I can't speak for everyone, but in my opinion the Bills' roster should not be ranked in the bottom half of the league -- so 16th or higher. The Colts should be in the top 12 -- they're a playoff team.

Um no, that whole list is terrible. The Colts a more talented roster than the Cowboys? The Vikings and Giants ahead of the Bills? There are so, so many things wrong with that list. The Bills are about 10 spots too low of we are just talking Bills but there are all kinds of things like that.

Well, that's always going to be the case. they will need to prove it and prove it again on the field for things to change with rankings and awards and the kind of media coverage that makes them happen... just the way it will be for them... takes time. no one in the 20 and 30-something age group media pays any attention to this franchise.....

Edited by 8and8Forever

Really? No mention of LBs? No mention of WRs? No mention of Gilmore? The defense was nasty - one of the best in the NFL. There's no way that should have landed them at 24. Not sure why commenting on such idiocy, but I guess I did anyway!

I can't speak for everyone, but in my opinion the Bills' roster should not be ranked in the bottom half of the league -- so 16th or higher. The Colts should be in the top 12 -- they're a playoff team.

id say teens, but without a qb, its hard to go higher than late/mid teens. id say top 5 defense, but a 20 something offense. 5 and 25 get me around 15 but id probably weight offense heavier in general.

Just because a team makes the playoffs does not make them top 12 in overall talent. Maybe I'm being a little hard on them, but I think Luck covers up quite a few holes for them.