It's NSD!Where 1st rd picks of last 5 yrs rated out of HS

YoloinOhio

What's fascinating to me is how the big-time programs seem to get just about all of the 4 and 5 star recruits.

texas and Florida have fallen behind. Interesting to see if they can rebound. It hurts when OSU and some of the northern schools are going in and taking recruits from those areas but there still should be enough to go around . Bama is unstoppable in recruiting.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting to look at. These players are generally 25-26 years old now and should be in or entering their primes: http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/rankings/rank-1475/0

There are a lot of players who made it, but a bunch of 5-star guys I've never heard of. Fwiw, I can understand why Claussen was #1. He was a good college player. He had a great final season at ND (28 TDs, 4 INTs, and a 69 percent completion rate).

Edited by dave mcbride

They say that he is a better prospect at the same age than Joey was. I think that Joey would have absolutely been a top 5 pick if he could have come out.

Nick is a 5 star and Joey was a 4 star, I have to wonder if that extra star reflects the player that Joey turned out to be in college and the fact that he appears to be a Joey clone. Either way I hope he follows in his footsteps as we will need to replace him next year!

Interesting to look at. These players are generally 25-26 years old now and should be in or entering their primes: http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/rankings/rank-1475/0

There are a lot of players who made it, but a bunch of 5-star guys I've never heard of. Fwiw, I can understand why Claussen was #1. He was a good college player. He had a great final season at ND (28 TDs, 4 INTs, and a 69 percent completion rate).

injuries, academics, coaching changes, and of course bad off field choices that have shorter leashes in college than the nfl... lots can derail these kids. youll even notice some as "could be a great WR or CB" and the team sticks them in the spot thats best for the team and not their development long term/career.

that of course ignoring some just arent as good as they look in HS.

its interesting catching a few guys really early and watching how they go long term.

injuries, academics, coaching changes, and of course bad off field choices that have shorter leashes in college than the nfl... lots can derail these kids. youll even notice some as "could be a great WR or CB" and the team sticks them in the spot thats best for the team and not their development long term/career.

that of course ignoring some just arent as good as they look in HS.

its interesting catching a few guys really early and watching how they go long term.

The name Dorial Green-Beckham is just screaming this. He will probably go in the 1st few rounds but his character has really hurt him.

or when judging a kid for college there are different attributes than pro

and from 17 to 22 A LOT can happen physically, mentally, and just plain luck (good or bad)

IMO, generally, more like 17 to 25.

My point is this: A guy like Fred Jackson was not even scouted out of high school. If it wasn't for his perseverance and positive attitude he would have just said "oh I guess I'm not good enough to play college ball let alone go pro" and then he wouldn't have become who he is today. How many guys are these scouts missing out on? I know a lot of guys that were really good growing up that just gave up as teenagers because they didn't get any "hype" so they didn't think they had what it took to go to the next level. I think everyone puts way too much value in what these scouts/coaches/etc rank you.

I was a good baseball player but I wasn't "scouted" outside of my hometown so I never did anything with it. So because of that experience I knew that for my brother to get any attention he needed to play in front of as many people as possible, not just locally. So he played in multiple travel leagues all over the US and ended up getting a full D1 scholarship. So I take it kind of personal because I'm just as good if not better than him but I didn't catch the right scouts attention apparently. My brother didn't go pro but a lot of his friends did (and he went to school for free) so the difference from just being a good local player to being a professional athlete isn't as big of a gap as you might expect. It takes skill obviously but you also have to catch the right people's attention and not all of these guys know what they are looking for. It's a crapshoot. There are probably more 5-star recruits working in retail and fast food than there are in the NFL. And on the opposite end, there are plenty of examples of people that were walk-ons or undrafted that are stars now.

So it's not an exact science. These guys are wrong more than they are right. Even when it comes to the NFL draft, look how many late round draft picks the Seahawks and Pats had. There is arguably more talent in the later rounds (Brady 6th round, Wilson 3rd round, Richard Sherman 5th round).

So the moral of the story is I don't put a lot of value in what these scouts say.

IMO, generally, more like 17 to 25.

Look at where they all go: http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/rankings/rank-1475/0. Except for one going to W. Michigan and one guy from Colorado choosing Colorado, they all ended up at big time programs. It's worth remembering that in 2007, UNC had Butch Davis and was swallowing up top talent.

they go where they will be on national tv all the time and see NFL scouts at all their practices

Absolutely. It makes sense.

Think about how hard of a time scouts have projecting college players into the NFL before the draft. It must be much harder to scout them from HS to college considering that they are much more raw, younger (often still growing), and come from an even larger pool of talent. The idea of projecting a player's pro potential at 18 just doesn't happen the way it does in other sports. That's why it always fascinates me to see when hockey and basketball players are identified as phenoms at 13 and 14 and, in some cases (e.g., Wayne Gretzky, Sidney Crosby, LeBron James, etc.), those projections are right.

they go where they will be on national tv all the time and see NFL scouts at all their practices

Exactly. Even of the player ends up being an average player, he still has better chances of being noticed, and possibly a late draft pick or a UDFA invite, at a big school like Florida as opposed to going to a school like UB.

To expand upon that, think about the stories of scouts going to games to watch superstar player A, but at the end the game, they have also got their eye on player B.

Edited by Cynical

Exactly. Even of the player ends up being an average player, he still has better chances of being noticed, and possibly a late draft pick or a UDFA invite, at a big school like Florida as opposed to going to a school like UB.

Mack might not even had started at Alabama but he went to UB and was the best player in the MAC and got tons of attention. I'd rather be a big fish in a small than 6th string on an SEC team

Mack might not even had started at Alabama but he went to UB and was the best player in the MAC and got tons of attention. I'd rather be a big fish in a small than 6th string on an SEC team

Mack is kind of unique because he played basketball until I think his senior yr of HS and it was late in the recruiting game. For example a school like Bama has commits from many juniors and even sophomores already and he is just getting started. For that reason he really didn't have a choice as he only had one other offer, I believe. I think the story is that the HC had recruiting ties to the S Florida area and that's how he found him and Oliver.

But it's definitely true that some kids have the choice to sit the bunch at OSU or play at Bowling Green. It's not an easy decision and comes down to how good they think they are because once they get on campus they have to earn their way on the field regardless and sometimes willing to be flexible on what position they play, and could end up a big time player at OSU like Darren Lee or a scooby Wright at Arizona who were 2 stars.

or mack wouldve been a beast at bama and gone #1 overall for all we know. theres a lot of luck and a bit of art projecting guys.

texas and Florida have fallen behind. Interesting to see if they can rebound. It hurts when OSU and some of the northern schools are going in and taking recruits from those areas but there still should be enough to go around . Bama is unstoppable in recruiting.

California kids end up all over the country. Big10 schools taking recruits from Texas and Florida is a big deal. No longer is the Big10 just pulling from Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan and the mideast. They're pulling Florida, South Carolina, Georgia, Texas, Louisiana and Virginia. Some pretty good recruits in these states. Programs in Tennesee, North Carolina and New York are getting better, too. When the big 10 pulls kids from Alabama, that will be a big deal. Pulling those kids from Alabama and Auburn will have the SEC trembling. Louisana is already losing recruits to other states.

To expand upon that, think about the stories of scouts going to games to watch superstar player A, but at the end the game, they have also got their eye on player B.

What about Roethlisberger? He chose Miami. Of course, that's because he played 1 year of QB in high school and turned down opportunities to walk on at larger schools for a chance at Miami under scholarship.

Also, there are plenty of kids who walk on to the large programs and end up starting. I know of a few I grew up with who ended up going to major programs as walkons and becoming 3 or 4 year letterman. One of them at Penn State, whom became the first walk-on true freshman to start for Paterno, ever.

The sad part of today is UB, who hosted events and held media coverage. Their top recruit was the 82nd best RB in the nation. They got a 2 star QB and there are very positive reports about it, even though only Eastern and Central Michigan made offers.

I love UB, and root very hard for them, but it's hard to watch them constantly act like a big school without any big actions.