What do you think will happen with Jerry Hughes?

YoloinOhio

Jerry Hughes  

254 members have voted

1. 1. What will be the outcome of Jerry Hughes's pending FA?

• Bills will sign Jerry Hughes during FA
    • Hughes will sign with another team in FA
  2. 2. If Hughes is not signed by the Bills, how should he be replaced?

• Signing another FA pass rusher (i.e. JPP, Pernell McPhee, etc)
    • Drafting a pass rusher in 2015
    • With a player currently on the roster (Jarius Wynn, Randell Johnson, etc)

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would absolutely transition tag him today if no deal gets done.

i havent given much thought to the tag situation but this seems obvious.

possible downside: if transition tagged and we dont match, we get no compensation and he no longer counts in any comp pick equation, correct?

Edited by NoSaint

i havent given much thought to the tag situation but this seems obvious.

possible downside: if transition tagged and we dont match, we get no compensation and he no longer counts in any comp pick equation, correct?

correct.., the browns did this with Alex Mack last year and they did match Jax's (huge) offer. I'm not sure if this would be a good idea with Hughes because the Bills have one value on him, whereas another team will have a different value that could be much higher based on their level of need at that position. Bills could see this as overpaying relative to their other needs whereas another team thinks he is their "Mario."

Just caught a quick snippet on NFL network regarding Dez Bryant and use of the franchise tag on him. The report indicated that if the tag is used, the player can negotiate and if he signs with another team, one of the remedies is that the team which signs forfeits 2 number one draft choices. This is an awfully steep price, and I can't imagine any team wanting to pay that kind of price. But what if the Bills did franchise Hughes. Are any teams desperate enough for his skills to pay the price? That would solve our lack of number 1 draft choice issue. Probably just wishful thinking.

correct.., the browns did this with Alex Mack last year and they did match Jax's (huge) offer. I'm not sure if this would be a good idea with Hughes because the Bills have one value on him, whereas another team will have a different value that could be much higher based on their level of need at that position. Bills could see this as overpaying relative to their other needs whereas another team thinks he is their "Mario."

i suppose then, the question is on the transition tag is two fold-

1) is the market in line, roughly, with what wed be willing to offer vs market? i dont think anyone gives him mario money but if we have a bright line at 9 or 9.5m i wouldnt be shocked if someone was 10-11m and the transition tag only hurts us by losing a comp pick

2) if we have a close enough relationship to say "give us a chance to match" and have that be a real thing.

i suppose then, the question is on the transition tag is two fold-

1) is the market in line, roughly, with what wed be willing to offer vs market? i dont think anyone gives him mario money but if we have a bright line at 9 or 9.5m i wouldnt be shocked if someone was 10-11m and the transition tag only hurts us by losing a comp pick

2) if we have a close enough relationship to say "give us a chance to match" and have that be a real thing.

If his first choice is the stay with the Bills as he has stated many times, money being similar, they can see what his market price is and decide whether they want to pay him that much at that point. If he doesn't care where he goes, I think a team like Oakland or Cleveland would pony up more money and he could go there. But I find it hard to predict because of the new owners and regime. Anything could happen.

I think it's BS that Justin Houston is LB when Hughes is a DE. Hughes spends 99% of snaps in 2 point stance.

The tag should be based on pass rush snaps, not position. Same for TE and WR,should be based on targets.

NfL needs to change this.

Edited by TheTruthHurts

I think it's BS that Justin Houston is LB when Hughes is a DE. Hughes spends 99% of snaps in 2 point stance.

The tag should be based on pass rush snaps, not position. Same for TE and WR,should be based on targets.

Houston IS a LB...he plays, as you said, out of a 2-point stance.

Hughes is a DE...he plays out of a 3-point stance.

Not sure what the issue here is?

hughes played a pretty straight forward DE role for a lot more than 1% of snaps last year.

While an "edge rusher" or "pass catcher" tag may make sense, i dont think the faults are quite as significant generally, and tend to work themselves out with some time for contracts to reflect roles in the league.

Well you are wrong. Hughes is in 2 point.

2 years ago, sure. last year was pretty pure with our 43 scheme. if he was hand off the ground every snap the team would certainly argue hes a lb for tag purposes.

hughes played a pretty straight forward DE role for a lot more than 1% of snaps last year.

While an "edge rusher" or "pass catcher" tag may make sense, i dont think the faults are quite as significant generally, and tend to work themselves out with some time for contracts to reflect roles in the league.

2 years ago, sure. last year was pretty pure with our 43 scheme. if he was hand off the ground every snap the team would certainly argue hes a lb for tag purposes.

Maybe I'm wrong but sure seemed he rushed from 2 point an awful lot.

Well you are wrong. Hughes is in 2 point.

No...not even close. He plays as a down lineman the vast majority of the time. Even when Pettine was here. Pettine played a 4-3 under most of the time, not a 3-4 as many believe. Here's a breakdown:

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/buffalo-bills-analysis-all-22/2014/3/20/5529460/bills-needs-list-de-manny-lawson-jerry-hughes

By snap count, Hughes would be a DE if taken to arbitration by the team.

Exactly...they aren't going to argue this, since they'll lose.

No...not even close. He plays as a down lineman the vast majority of the time. Even when Pettine was here. Pettine played a 4-3 under most of the time, not a 3-4 as many believe. Here's a breakdown:

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/buffalo-bills-analysis-all-22/2014/3/20/5529460/bills-needs-list-de-manny-lawson-jerry-hughes

By snap count, Hughes would be a DE if taken to arbitration by the team.

Exactly...they aren't going to argue this, since they'll lose.

I would actually guess his hand was down more often with Pettine than Schwartz.

If anyone has those numbers would love to see them.

Edited by TheTruthHurts

I would actually guess his hand was down more often with Pettine than Schwartz.

If anyone has those numbers would love to see them.

I tried to look for them, but didn't find them. All I can tell you is that there's been zero buzz anywhere about whether he's a DE or LB under the tag, which (IMO) speaks volumes.

http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/17698/bills-face-deadline-to-tag-jerry-hughes

If the Bills assign the franchise tag to Hughes, they'll have nearly $50 million of their salary cap devoted to him and his three Pro Bowl counterparts on the defensive line: Mario Williams, Kyle Williams and Marcell Dareus.

Whaley has stated the Bills can absorb a higher cost on their defensive line because of their low quarterback spending. Tagging Hughes, however, would cut the Bills' 2015 salary cap space in half, potentially making them less active on the free-agent market.

I tried to look for them, but didn't find them. All I can tell you is that there's been zero buzz anywhere about whether he's a DE or LB under the tag, which (IMO) speaks volumes.

I found 2013 numbers on Twitter. Can't find 2014.

Last year 213 pass rushes from 3 point, 106 from 2 point

What's crazy is he was listed as a LB that year. So same point I was making. Justin Houston is a pass rusher, Jerry Hughes is a pass rusher. Should have the same tag number.

https://mobile.twitter.com/PFF/status/498887209572114435

Edited by TheTruthHurts