Rams after Foles?

Big Gun

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is that every single options we have for a starting QB next year is less than optimal. EJ, Tuel, Sanchez, Hoyer, Locker, Mallett, Bradford, Foles, Cutler, Matt Moore, any QB in the draft or any other QB available has huge red flags. Some worse than others. Some have more upside than others, but as it stands right now, our options for competition at the QB spot are very limited. The Bills are currently in the hook-up bar at 3:45am digging through the fat, ugly chicks still left looking to get some action. Chances they will regret which ever one they hook up with, but their going to need to take a shot.

Most likely scenario is to bring in one or two FA or trade QBs and then draft one. Let them fight it out and hopes one pulls a Russell Wilson and surprises the crap out of everyone.

I don't think EJ, Foles or anyone else will match that year. Foles seemed to hit lightning in a bottle with those stats. I would not expect him or any other QB ever to match that.

I also don't think that Nick Foles will ever put up numbers like that again. What I said is a) you have to be decent to put up those kind of numbers- I don't care whose system you're in and b) in no universe and under absolutely no circumstances could EJ Manuel catch any sort of lightning in any bottle and put up numbers like that.

You know the other guy I'm intrigued by......Jake Locker.

I would be curious to kick the tires on Jake Locker. They're going to bring in one guy (like a Locker or a Sanchez) and draft a guy and there's gonna be a three way competition in camp. Or else they're gonna make a big splash for a real guy who is a definite starter. Like Sam Bradford or Nick Foles.

You seem like a nice guy and you have good grammar- especially for this board- but with all due respect, if you think a) EJ Manuel could possibly match Foles' numbers from 2013 in any system or b) that Manuel to Foles is a lateral move "at best," well then I think I should be the one to inform you that literally no human beings on planet Earth share either of these opinions with you except possibly a few other Bills fans.

So... a bunch of other people share that opinion with me is what you're saying. :lol:

And I didn't say EJ would, I said he might. There's a qualification there but a big one. Foles is not the answer, he's nothing more than a middle of the road QB. And middle of the road QB's can have statistically impressive seasons when all the stars align (coach, system, teammates) which it did for one magical year in Philly -- which ended up with a one-and-done in the playoffs. He came out this year and looked mediocre at best when Shady was taken away from him, then he got hurt... and now Philly is moving on from him (or appears to be).

That's not a ringing endorsement from the NFL's top offensive mind.

So... a bunch of other people share that opinion with me is what you're saying. :lol:

And I didn't say EJ would, I said he might. There's a qualification there but a big one. Foles is not the answer, he's nothing more than a middle of the road QB. And middle of the road QB's can have statistically impressive seasons when all the stars align (coach, system, teammates) which it did for one magical year in Philly -- which ended up with a one-and-done in the playoffs. He came out this year and looked mediocre at best when Shady was taken away from him, then he got hurt... and now Philly is moving on from him (or appears to be).

That's not a ringing endorsement from the NFL's top offensive mind.

Nick Foles is a middling starting NFL QB. Like somewhere between the 14th and 18th best starting QB in the NFL. He is absolutely one of the top 32 QB's in the world right now and will start for someone next year. EJ Manuel has not shown that he is capable of being a starting QB in the NFL. He regressed in his second season, lost all confidence and has a tendency to not throw footballs to wide receivers unless they're wide open. He is absolutely not one of the best 32 QB's in the world and will not start for anyone ever again unless he somehow beats out whoever we bring into camp next year. Which, mind you, he has sucked even worse in camp and preseason than he has in actual games so I wouldn't bet on that.

And what world do we live in where people are ready to declare that a guy who threw 27 TD's and 2 INT's two seasons ago, led his team to a 9-3 start this season and has only been in the league three years, is "awful" when the most serviceable QB play we've gotten since 2004 was from Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Nick Foles is a middling starting NFL QB. Like somewhere between the 14th and 18th best starting QB in the NFL. He is absolutely one of the top 32 QB's in the world right now and will start for someone next year. EJ Manuel has not shown that he is capable of being a starting QB in the NFL. He regressed in his second season, lost all confidence and has a tendency to not throw footballs to wide receivers unless they're wide open. He is absolutely not one of the best 32 QB's in the world and will not start for anyone ever again unless he somehow beats out whoever we bring into camp next year. Which, mind you, he has sucked even worse in camp and preseason than he has in actual games so I wouldn't bet on that.

I'm not trying to back myself into an EJ or bust corner. You misunderstand. I want them to improve the position and saying "I'd rather have EJ than Foles" is not the same as "I want EJ to start". In fact, I used it originally as a joke to demonstrate how much I don't want Foles more than anything else.

That said, I'm not opposed to the idea that EJ's regression was due to Marone getting inside his head (he coached him not to run, he coached him not to make mistakes etc) more than it was EJ's complete lack of ability to become a legit starting QB in the league. There's no question that EJ becoming that guy is the best possible scenario for the Bills and thus, I root for it.

But that doesn't mean I expect it to happen. I (think I) know who Foles is. He's not a guy who's going to elevate the team. It's an opinion, not a fact, but one I'm quite confident in based on watching him play a lot of games. More games than I've seen EJ play in the NFL.

I'm not trying to back myself into an EJ or bust corner. You misunderstand. I want them to improve the position and saying "I'd rather have EJ than Foles" is not the same as "I want EJ to start". In fact, I used it originally as a joke to demonstrate how much I don't want Foles more than anything else.

That said, I'm not opposed to the idea that EJ's regression was due to Marone getting inside his head (he coached him not to run, he coached him not to make mistakes etc) more than it was EJ's complete lack of ability to become a legit starting QB in the league. There's no question that EJ becoming that guy is the best possible scenario for the Bills and thus, I root for it.

But that doesn't mean I expect it to happen. I (think I) know who Foles is. He's not a guy who's going to elevate the team. It's an opinion, not a fact, but one I'm quite confident in based on watching him play a lot of games. More games than I've seen EJ play in the NFL.

Do you think that with our defense and if we upgrade the OL (which I fully expect them to do/do not think will be that difficult to do) that Nick Foles would be good enough to get us to 10 wins? Because I think he would and I also think that Manuel would not.

Do you think that with our defense and if we upgrade the OL (which I fully expect them to do/do not think will be that difficult to do) that Nick Foles would be good enough to get us to 10 wins? Because I think he would and I also think that Manuel would not.

He probably is. But I don't think he's good enough to get us 11, 12, or 13 wins. Let alone win in the playoffs, which is what I'm really looking for in a QB. I think you can find a guy like Foles on almost every NFL roster, including the Bills.

He probably is. But I don't think he's good enough to get us 11, 12, or 13 wins. Let alone win in the playoffs, which is what I'm really looking for in a QB. I think you can find a guy like Foles on almost every NFL roster, including the Bills.

You are right that Foles is not the type of talent that is going to get you 11-13 wins. So what? If he is an upgrade and allows your offense to function at a higher level then you go with the better option at qb.

If you review last season it is not unreasonable to condlude that with simply competent qb play (average)this team would have had at least one or two more wins. That would have put us in the playoffs. It would also allow the offense to make better use of its most talented player, Watkins.

Finding a better option at qb this offseason doesn't stop the front office from continuing its quest of finding a more upscale and long-term qb answer down the road.

What this organization can't do is put itself in a position where if their favored young qb prospect, EJ, doesn't materialize into a legitimate franchise qb it sabotages the efforts of a premier defense and adds another year to its long playoff drought.

Most often there isn't a perfect solution to a problem. But that doesn't mean that you can't find a better option to addressing an obvious problem.

So here we are back to square one: you really think that Manuel will ever achieve the level of play that Foles has displayed the last couple years? I will bet you anything he doesn't.