ESPN: How many missing pieces...?

johnwalter

you know what the funniest part about this is

Flutie is by far the most over rated average on a best day QB that gets worshiped by those who have a revisionist history of this guy.. Flutie never did crap in the NFL besides a few exciting plays here and there, Heck even Orton had a winning record with a good defense

Flutie was still 10x better than Rob Johnson.

I would without question take the Bills roster, but the Browns do have talent.

Every roster in the NFL has talent. I truly believe the Browns are among the bottom ten teams in the league -- and they have a horrific organization to boot. Expect a 4th place finish (again) in the AFC North next season.

One thing to consider is that one great guy can make the others around him better. Meaning that while they say they we need 7 guys to become a superbowl contender, many of that is on the O-line where adding one better guy can elevate the others we already have higher. This doesnt mean we need to go out and find 7 new guys.

seriously? you need to think Orton should not be in the bad?

The total offense ranking dropped 3 (+/-1) places under Orton than with EJ in 2013

look it up.

I meant that to highlight that EJ was average.

Robey is "bad?"

His year was not as good as last year. He did miss some tackles, which were highlighted in the piece. But I'm surprised it was enough to make the bad category.

Am I the only one that didn't see EJ's season as bad as many write it up to be?

He had two good games to start the season, then two horrible games, and was benched. The bad games were bad enough to bring the overall grade further down than it should... but I guess I'm a homer.

Other than that, the writeup part is solid... the cold analytics fall short a little, but there is fan bias on my part.

No, your not the only one. I listened to the David Lee interview on BB.com and was glad that someone sees the talent and encouraged to work and help develop EJ. I also like the fact that he, Rex and Doug Whaley think that EJs skills weren't used properly and can't wait to see how they expose them. Edited by the skycap

I think the truth is Buffalo needs very few pieces to be a Superbowl contender. However, it needs the single most important piece - a top 15 Quarterback. Teams have got to the Superbowl in recent years without an elite guy but nobody has got there since the Bears in 2006 with a Quarterback that isn't top 15 (although you might argue that Kaepernick has regressed from that category since).

Other than that I think we need at lest one high level guard in the hope that it improves our line in 2 ways - improves our Guard play and improves the play of Wood with one side of him locked up.

A running back - I don't think the Bills have a guy who you know is going to find a way to get yards when the opposition know you want to run it.

The rest? Meh... could we use an upgrade at the other guard spot and possibly at Right Tackle (depending on how Henderson comes on?) Sure. Could we use an upgrade at Tight End? Sure. Might we be that one absolute shutdown guy away in the secondary (where we have lots of very good players but no 1 elite guy)? Maybe.

But the fact is I look at the reigning Champions Seahawks and they are weaker than us at receiver, I would take Chandler ahead of any of their tight ends and the right side of their O-Line has been inconsistent for 2 years. Their defensive backfield is stronger than ours but I'd give our front 7 the edge over theirs..... so I really think the difference between us and them is 3 pieces. The problem is that one of those is the most important and the hardest to solve.

Good stuff