New England Patriots caught deflating game balls

FireChan

To pile on the sour grapes, when was the last time a guy who wasn't a starter on his college team became a regular All-Pro?

You would imagine that in a QB-starved league there would be a few more rags to riches stories. But even Kurt Warner was a starter in his school. As was Romo. But how was a guy who couldn't impress his Michigan coaches enough to beat out Drew Hanson, is suddenly a first ballot HoF'er?

It just doesn't add up.

Brady was the starting QB in his senior season and played very well. He also played great in the Orange Bowl against Alabama (Michigan won, 35-34): http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/michigan/1999.html .

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/football/sfc/99bowls/orange.htm

I think you might confusing the rise of Drew Henson with him actually starting. He didn't. He was viewed as such a can't-miss prospect that Brady seemed to get lost in the draft hype shuffle. I think that's partly why he fell to the 6th round. Brady was never supplanted from the starting job, however.

Edited by dave mcbride

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To pile on the sour grapes, when was the last time a guy who wasn't a starter on his college team became a regular All-Pro?

You would imagine that in a QB-starved league there would be a few more rags to riches stories. But even Kurt Warner was a starter in his school. As was Romo. But how was a guy who couldn't impress his Michigan coaches enough to beat out Drew Hanson, is suddenly a first ballot HoF'er?

It just doesn't add up.

WOW

I don't ever feel embarrassed to be a Bills fan because of how poorly the team is managed or how bad the record gets. Not even a little bit.

But to be associated with Bills fans can oftentimes be embarrassing. This thread is a good example.

WOW

I don't ever feel embarrassed to be a Bills fan because of how poorly the team is managed or how bad the record gets. Not even a little bit.

But to be associated with Bills fans can oftentimes be embarrassing. This thread is a good example.

Brady has benefited from phantom calls. Pi that never existed. Stuff like that. I'm not going to say he sucks or stuff like that. But 5 yard slants all day long does not make you the best of all time.

There was a time where all he needed to do was throw it up for 30 yards. He is going to get a completion or a pi in his favor. Bs.

If Brady played for the bills maybe, maybe we go to the playoffs twice in 14 years. Maybe.

The guys has no mobility. He would have a career like a Carson Palmer. Just barely over average, but not elite. That's how I truly feel.

Geez, some of you guys make a scorned woman look passive. Does the Pats success really impact your lives this much?

No. I just hate them and bored from them.

Perfect way to end the thread. Lock this sucker now!

Geez, some of you guys make a scorned woman look passive. Does the Pats success really impact your lives this much?

You made the same point three times so I'll bite .

What what you do ?

Allow the systematic cheapening of the game continue? Everybody tapes walk thru ls and vidro tapes signs to get a competitive advantage despite it being clearly against the rules .

You can be repetitive and cute, how about weighing in with a real opinion

WOW

When you get cheated poker what is your response ? To accept it and pay up ? That epuld embarrass me to be around someone that accepted that act

You made the same point three times so I'll bite .

What what you do ?

Allow the systematic cheapening of the game continue? Everybody tapes walk thru ls and vidro tapes signs to get a competitive advantage despite it being clearly against the rules .

You can be repetitive and cute, how about weighing in with a real opinion

On the topic of the supposed Pats deflated footballs. My opinion ..... it's a bizarre case of fans looking for any chance to taint a team that has so dominated the team that they cheer for that they align themselves with any excuse to slight the offending team, no matter if it is real or imagined.

If not then it's simply a case of being naive and not realizing that it's not uncommon for teams to alter the pressure of footballs.

http://vid809.photobucket.com/albums/zz11/mascho030916/Football%20Central/ScreenCaptureProject295.mp4

So if I bring an few extra cards up my sleeve to improve my chances of winning , as long as I get away with it you think I have dominated the table? If I take steroids and hit 73 home runs

against teams in my division is that cool too .. The high road on this schit discussion is truly the naive route.

Nah, Does it affect your life much that Nobody outside of New England will ever accept the Cheatriots** SB Titles as legitimate?

And just think; after the Seahawks Bit*h Slap little billy and make tommy foul-mouth their Bit*h, your Precious Patsies** will have tied the record for most Super Bowl Losses (5) and tommy foul-mouth will be a .500 SB QB. (and .000 in SB's where nobody cheated.)

Bye now...

How does this not matter? I get that some may think this is only about sour grapes--it's not, but I could see where you and others would think that. But this kind of stuff has to matter to a fan of the game, and I don't see how it doesn't (let's call this inclination to dismiss the importance of the cheating the "eternally sweet grapes" position, the opposite of the "everlasting sour grapes" position).

Either the rules are there to ensure an even playing field before the game begins and regardless of the outcome, or they aren't. If I showed up at the playground and said let's play basketball, but my side gets 5 guys to your 4, would you wait to see if my guys won before complaining? If I put scuffed baseballs in play when my side was pitching, would you wait until after the game to see if it mattered?

Belicheck is a football genius and they have been supremely talented teams for more years than I want to count. My team has been coached by a collection of jokers and wannabes, while fielding rosters that were always lacking talent. The dominance makes sense. But that's got nothing to do with why this cheating bothers me. Belicheck is a serial cheater, who has no respect for the game or his opponents. He coaches the Taintriots.

It is not just sour grapes. And I cannot see any way that the grapes taste sweet.

kj

Brady was the starting QB in his senior season and played very well. He also played great in the Orange Bowl against Alabama (Michigan won, 35-34): http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/michigan/1999.html .

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/football/sfc/99bowls/orange.htm

I think you might confusing the rise of Drew Henson with him actually starting. He didn't. He was viewed as such a can't-miss prospect that Brady seemed to get lost in the draft hype shuffle. I think that's partly why he fell to the 6th round. Brady was never supplanted from the starting job, however.

It wasn't as clear cut as the college reference stats show, there was a legit battle for the starting job. So I can't blame the pro scouts for not taking Brady seriously, in that despite his good junior numbers, he was in a battle for the starting spot with a sophomore.

And what is so embarrassing about pointing out a franchise that's done something that no other franchise has done in the modern NFL? Why is it the one franchise that attracts suspicion and investigations into shady activities?

On the topic of the supposed Pats deflated footballs. My opinion ..... it's a bizarre case of fans looking for any chance to taint a team that has so dominated the team that they cheer for that they align themselves with any excuse to slight the offending team, no matter if it is real or imagined.

If not then it's simply a case of being naive and not realizing that it's not uncommon for teams to alter the pressure of footballs.

http://vid809.photobucket.com/albums/zz11/mascho030916/Football%20Central/ScreenCaptureProject295.mp4

The EVERBODY DOES IT DEFENSE, Again?

ROTFLMAO

So you drew the short straw again today? How many of you guys are assigned to defend your precious cheaters*** on opposing fan boards around the league?

It's got to be a tiresome and thankless task; swimming upstram against both public opinion and common sense.

But you should be used to it by now, considering the number of opportunities your precious cheaters*** give you.

It's clear now that the Bills have just been a few deflated balls short of the playoffs. They could have turned many of these seasons around if they had just deflated the ball for even just half of the games.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda...

This controversy is gonna turn the NFL into a ball measuring contest.

Edited by HoF Watkins

So all you fans out there that think this cheating is no big deal, did you also think it was OK what te Enron executives did??? Is Bernie Maddoff your go to for investment success???

Do you think Barry bonds is the better hitter or hank aarron??

Is lance Armstrong still your cycling idol?

It's clear now that the Bills have just been a few deflated balls short of the playoffs. They could have turned many of these seasons around if they had just deflated the ball for even just half of the games.

What about the 2004 season where the bills missed the playoffs by half a game? They lost to the Pats twice. The patriots cheated in both those games.

And for the record, they are still cheating here ten years later. Maybe they cheated in our two games this year too? Maybe we make the playoffs if we win that first pats* game. Maybe marrone never quits. That saves Pegs 4 million bucks. Etc etc.

If this was baseball or the NCAA all othe pats wins would e vacated and records erased. That's a fact

No one believes that but the other stuff may or may not have had an effect .. Can you quantify a competitive advantage ..

So all you fans out there that think this cheating is no big deal, did you also think it was OK what te Enron executives did??? Is Bernie Maddoff your go to for investment success???

Do you think Barry bonds is the better hitter or hank aarron??

Is lance Armstrong still your cycling idol?

Randy Constan is my go-to for fashion advice. I can tell you that much!