Brian Billick on WGR - Good Listen

elroy16

This is a very good listen from someone who obviously knows there stuff and has worked with Rex in the past.

Says Rex has a great rapport with players and is a brilliant defensive coach. He has a great understanding of defense and has been exposed to football his entire life. Knows defense front end to back end and knows when to call the right play to take advantage of the defense vs. the offense.

3-4 or 4-3 talk is overrated. Rex will use the personnel and run the system that the players can run best. 60% of the time the defense runs nickel anyway. By now most fans recognize these facts, but it continues to pop-up.

Greg Roman has been around and has a great understanding of the game. He's been exposed to a lot of different systems and will adjust his system to what the personnel does best.

He talked about EJ and how the jury is still out on him. He talked about Seattle's approach to the QB position when they found R. Wilson. They had signed Flynn and traded for Whitehurst the same year. He said we could see the Bills do something similar. I really hope they do, we need to see at least 2 new guys brought in to compete.

Usually takes 22-25 starts to find out what you have in a QB (EJ's at 15). There's no "QB Whisperer" that is going to come in and magically make EJ a franchise QB. He says the game isn't too big for EJ which was the best thing he saw early on. They still need to find out what they have in EJ.

The perception is Rex is a defensive coach only, Billick doesn't agree. He gives the Bills credit for hiring a head coach instead of going after an OC because the offense is what struggled and not the defense. Rex will absolutely be involved with the offense, he's not just a defensive coach.

The difference between a first time head coach and someone with experience is huge. Invaluable experience having gone through the process before.

http://media.wgr550.com/a/101073925/120-brian-billick-talks-rex-ryan.htm

Overall it sounds like Billick likes what the Bills have done with the coaching hires. The number one thing they need to do is find a QB, which isn't surprising to anyone. I really, really hope they are aggressive with their search and aren't satisfied with a mid-tier veteran FA pickup.

He seemed to say it was a good move for Bills; his question was whether it was the right move for Rex. It hinged on hiring a guy like Roman, which he did, and figuring out the QB position (which he also said in the radio intvw)

Ryan worked for Billick for something like 9 years (and performed very well for him).

This makes me think a few things...

1. Billick knows Rex very well and is qualified to evaluate him.

2. Billick probably likes Rex and therefore may not be entirely objective.

3. Billick's evaluation of Rex is skewed by his knowledge of Rex as a successful DC and less influenced by his more limited knowledge of Rex as a HC.

With all that in mind, Billick makes some good points though none were earth-shaking novel insights.

I've always found Billick to be pompous -- the guy who tells everyone in the room how smart he is -- but the truth of the matter is he's pretty smart. This was a good interview with responses that were not over-the-top. Buffalo has a chance to be very successful with Rex.

I've always found Billick to be pompous -- the guy who tells everyone in the room how smart he is -- but the truth of the matter is he's pretty smart. This was a good interview with responses that were not over-the-top. Buffalo has a chance to be very successful with Rex.

he reminds me of the guy that can give you all the answers, tell you what needs to be done, tell you what went wrong. But not the guy who can actually fix it or tell you why and explain himself. He probably is one of the smartest guys in the room about football but his ability to coach that knowledge and his ability to develop that understanding in to a player are limited. He did best on teams where the players coached themselves and he putthem in tthe best position to succeed where they could figure it out.

You and most everyone else from what I've heard. But he is indeed smart about football.

Someone reported he was very disappointed not to be considered for our HC opening when we hired Marrone.

Obviously, I hope Rex goes down as the greatest head coach in the history of the Cosmos, but who knows how it will really end. I take solace in the fact that it was a good decision to commit to a 5 year deal. That should speak hopefully to a coaching environment that is less prone to hasty decisions and a fear of losing. This team needs to seize the opportunity and dare to be great. Intelligent aggression in all 3 phases is a safe bet for 2015. The running game will come back soon. It has to.

You and most everyone else from what I've heard. But he is indeed smart about football.

Someone reported he was very disappointed not to be considered for our HC opening when we hired Marrone Gailey.

Fixed

This is a very good listen from someone who obviously knows there stuff and has worked with Rex in the past.

Says Rex has a great rapport with players and is a brilliant defensive coach. He has a great understanding of defense and has been exposed to football his entire life. Knows defense front end to back end and knows when to call the right play to take advantage of the defense vs. the offense.

3-4 or 4-3 talk is overrated. Rex will use the personnel and run the system that the players can run best. 60% of the time the defense runs nickel anyway. By now most fans recognize these facts, but it continues to pop-up.

Greg Roman has been around and has a great understanding of the game. He's been exposed to a lot of different systems and will adjust his system to what the personnel does best.

He talked about EJ and how the jury is still out on him. He talked about Seattle's approach to the QB position when they found R. Wilson. They had signed Flynn and traded for Whitehurst the same year. He said we could see the Bills do something similar. I really hope they do, we need to see at least 2 new guys brought in to compete.

Usually takes 22-25 starts to find out what you have in a QB (EJ's at 15). There's no "QB Whisperer" that is going to come in and magically make EJ a franchise QB. He says the game isn't too big for EJ which was the best thing he saw early on. They still need to find out what they have in EJ.

The perception is Rex is a defensive coach only, Billick doesn't agree. He gives the Bills credit for hiring a head coach instead of going after an OC because the offense is what struggled and not the defense. Rex will absolutely be involved with the offense, he's not just a defensive coach.

The difference between a first time head coach and someone with experience is huge. Invaluable experience having gone through the process before.

http://media.wgr550.com/a/101073925/120-brian-billick-talks-rex-ryan.htm

Overall it sounds like Billick likes what the Bills have done with the coaching hires. The number one thing they need to do is find a QB, which isn't surprising to anyone. I really, really hope they are aggressive with their search and aren't satisfied with a mid-tier veteran FA pickup.

The funny thing about this is Billick was saying Buffalo was the worst place to end up as a HC because of the QB situation not more than a month ago