Your thoughts on the new offensive coaching staff

BmarvB

Do you guys realize that once you get below the offensive, defensive, and ST's coordinator these mean very little.......

Lets not nitpick the damn thing......the team got experienced guys that know how to win

Disagree.

As Darth Hoodie would tell you, good fortune is a byproduct of preparation and opportunity. The work that gets done on Wednesday and Thursday is critical to what happens on Sunday. The position coaches are there for a reason...to efficiently organize and communicate the game plan, make sure their charges are doing their film work, answering questions and basically hearding the cats so the HC and coordinators can focus on the big picture.

That's a very important role and one that typically entails management skills as well as positional knowledge...

Edited by Lurker

Other than Roman, my feelings are mixed about the new offensive coaching staff:

http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/17112/rex-ryans-coaching-staff-nearly-complete

Kromer should be an upgrade for the OL. Wish he had kept Rob Moore as WR coach, and looked more outside of the Jets for some of the hires.

Your thoughts?

I feel the same way. When Ryan came over he immediately brought his defensive staff (as expected), but the only offensive coach that was with him was the TE coach. Clearly he wanted to consult with Roman about the offensive coaches. I was hoping Rex would step away from the offense a bit and give Roman more freedom. With the influx of Jets coaches, it doesn't look like he did.

The Jets offense was a disaster for the last 4 years, I thought it was time for Rex to cut ties with that group and start with a clean slate.

I'll say this. On paper, the O staff and their track records look very meh. Outside of Roman and Kromer (who could be a disaster if OC but he's not..he's the oline coach and IMO probably what he should be til he retires) so I'm good with him and his track record with olines.

But I think Rex siding with "trust" and "loyalty" to some of these guys is more important then looking for guys who want to enhance the resume and move on. I've seen this happen at the freaking high school level (I coached 15 years here in VA).

The best staffs are obviously knowledgeable but also are all on board with the system. This is going to be tricky as hell to get this O right and I think having these guys all on the same page, familiar with each other, and loyal to Rex and thus Roman is more important than getting WR or QB or RB coaches not familiar with each other and no loyalty to Roman or Rex.

The struggles on O this year are inevitable and having a bunch of O coaches more concerned with how that will reflect on them could lead to dysfunction among the staff. Which is possible if these guys had no history or know who they are and how they work.

Does that make sense?

Edited by Big Blitz

No one can speak intelligently about any position coach.

Joe D'allesandris is one of the best OL coaches in the NFL. He's been a huge addition to the chargers.

George Catavolos is a terrible dB coach. Nothing more to say about him....Except he's bad

Intelligent? Maybe. Maybe not. True stories though

Not a fan of the QB coach, David Lee, at all.

Fitzpatrick did not look great with this guy, and a glance at this resume leads me to wonder who he's worked with that actually showed success? Don't even get me started with the wildcat.

Tony Romo specifically credits Lee with taking him from a very raw prospect into a professional football QB (see "The return of David Lee" thread for a link). So there is that.

Has Greg Roman said anything to anyone? Is he going to telecommute and call plays from his Microsoft Surface? It does seem odd that Ryan seems to be playing "you snooze you lose" with the offensive coaching staff. Roman is coming off as either uninspired or supremely confident.

I really believe Roman as OC was a contingency in Ryan being hired. He was all about Trestman until the Bills hired him and Roman became the choice. Terry Pegula's Penn State Greg Roman. Something to ponder and watch.

Who? Won what?

Rex, Thurman and Roman? Ya know, the main guys that will be leading this team and have won in the playoffs and even gone to a Super Bowl?

I'm not sure what people expect when teams hire position coaches. Are you guys looking for an elite staff made up of accomplished HCs and coordinators as position coaches?

I love the Greg Roman hire as he controls the entire offense and knows how to build an effective running game that can actually move the chains and control the clock. Unlike Hackett who just knew how to call up the middle plays with Spiller, and really all he did was gain a bunch of yards in losing efforts.

The hire i really, really dislike was the David Lee as QB coach who I feel screwed up Fitz, and did a really horrible job last year with Geno Smith. Anyone recall how bad Geno looked in his two games against Buffalo, and even Michael Vick didn't look much better. Dunno why Rex hired this man. I kinda support hiring an OC and then let him pick his assistants.

The rest of the hires I don't know much about except that new O line coach in Kromer was the Bears OC last season, and wasn't he the one who blabbed to the media about the team strife inside the locker room? Seems like players will need to be watching what they say around him.

The entire problems with the offense are going to be how effective the GM is in finding better talent for the O line, RB if they don't retain Spiller, and most importantly at QB. If Whaley fails then the offense fails.