Grantland: Rex's Last Stand

YoloinOhio

From 1/6... but good read on Ryan's ending in NJ

http://grantland.com/features/rexs-last-stand/

Great read

Unfortunately recaps everything I don't like about Rex Ryan - the bad game management decisions, the carelessness with details

"Belichick, meanwhile, showed up for his postgame presser wearing his trademark Autopsy Table Face."

"Rex is huge; Belichick is little. Rex is an open book; Belichick’s face looks like something tightened with a torque wrench. Rex gives the media something every day, while Belichick wouldn’t piss on a reporter if he were on fire."

Classic

Love Matt T, so I will read the article.

Taibbi is just terrific when he writes pieces like that. Funny, colorful, informative, inventive, twisted. Good stuff.

Even if you don't agree with his takes, Taibbi is a great writer. Happy to see he took up a sports story. This quote is classic:

New York Jets owner Woody Johnson, a Magoo-ish rich eccentric out of central casting who wears a goofy green tie to Sunday games and looks like he might play with toy trucks on all the days in between [...]

That was a great read. I am pretty happy about Rex coming to Buffalo, but I will admit, I thought he was a bit of a buffoon early on...he did endear me, however, when he flipped off the Dolphins fans at the MMA event...had almost forgotten about that...thanks for the link!

Yeah, maybe. Wondered why and how he ended up there. I think he only spent a year or two in Buffalo.

He seems like a guy who would like drinking in Buffalo. ;)

The Beast was hilarious. I recall reading or hearing that He and his buddy decided it was time to get out of Russia and I believe they sort of randomly selected Buffalo. it was clear he would go on to bigger things. hope he does a follow up, as it has the makings of a great story.

Great read

Unfortunately recaps everything I don't like about Rex Ryan - the bad game management decisions, the carelessness with details

"Rex is huge; Belichick is little. Rex is an open book; Belichick’s face looks like something tightened with a torque wrench. Rex gives the media something every day, while Belichick wouldn’t piss on a reporter if he were on fire."

Classic

Yet Belicheat wins far more than Rex. I'll take a stoic HC any day. Honestly I could give a rat's ass about the HC personality, but I prefer stoic over clownish.

Taibbi was one of the founders of the Buffalo Beast, so I assume he'll approve of Rex's decision!

Agreed. The Beast was a great read when Taibbi was there.