Travis Henry for LJ Shelton?

The Jokeman

The Cardinals granted the agent for offensive tackle L.J. Shelton permission to pursue a trade, just 15 months after the team re-signed Shelton to a lucrative contract extension.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/...5cards0205.html

It seems like most feel that Jennings won't be back next year. I feel Shelton might be a slight downgrade from Jennings yet all things condidered I think it be a fair trade for both sides. As Shelton is a proven NFL player and probably prove being worth more than an unknown draft pick and the free agent landscape is pretty bare when it comes to Offensive Tackles. Not to mention Shelton doesn't have a big money contract, which seems to be the most overwhelming reason most here don't want to re-sign Jennings. Toss in Damion Shelton is LJ's cousin might make him a perfect fit here. And of course it gets rid of Henry and puts him in the NFC and allows him to be "the guy"once again now that Emmit is retired. Thoughts?

Good catch. I was just reading that at the Redzone and thinking the same thing. He's due to make only 3 Mil for the next 4 years, a bonifide bargain. Jennings will sign for 2 to 3 times that. No bonus $$ to pay out.

Might not be a bad idea. He was highly touted, coming out of college. Would have to think TD is considering this. Let McNally whip him into shape. Plus re-sign Marcus Price and the Tackle position is solved. Then move on to LG and re-signing Nate. Would think Green would like a RB like Henry.

Very interesting.

IMO this is the perfect move to make with Travis. It just seems to perfectly fit everyones needs.

Shelton isn't a dominating Tackle, but we can't afford one anyway. With McNally's help and a good pickup at LG we could be one our way to having our first solid line in a long time.

wow.  he is signed for reasonable numbers and his signing bonus is paid by the trading team, so no salary cap issues.  i dont know too much about him, but its an interesting trade. 

http://www.nflplayers.com/players_network/...k.aspx?ID=27033

229254[/snapback]

Here's a blurb from his 1999 CNNSI predraft bio:

Lonnie Shelton | OT | Eastern Michigan | Mid-American 

Selected by Arizona Cardinals in round 1, pick 21 (#21 overall) 

Ht  Wt  40  BP  SS  LS  VJ  BJ  Grade 

6'5"  341  5.44  22  4.77  -  29.5  8'4"  7.06 

He is a player from a small school that is really coming on and he may have the best upside of any offensive linemen in this draft. He did not look out of place at the Senior Bowl and showed good overall movement and agility while playing left tackle against better players than he was used to on the college level. He has a little bit of a "rap" of being a hot and cold player and he tends to play to the level of his competition, which means he doesn't always dominate because he does not face great defensive linemen. He has a great athletic background and his dad was a NBA player. He has excellent feet, can adjust on the move, is a natural kneebender and he has good overall balance. He has natural strength and he uses it well and has a good coil and explosion. However, for all of these skills, he does not always dominate at the point of attack, he does not do a great job of finishing his blocks and at times, he will turn into a waistbender and appear to be sluggish. He seems to have realized what is at stake for him in the next few months and his intensity level is improving. This is a player that will tease a lot of NFL teams and if they are comfortable with his work ethic, he will be drafted high. There are no questions about his physical skills.

and a link to his Stats Profile.

You are going to get him from the cards for Travis stright up. But maybe Travis and next years 1st or this years 2nd possibly. Come on guys this is a solid LT who was a mid first rounder signed to a very cap friendly deal. He will not go that cheap. Please be realistic.

You are going to get him from the cards for Travis stright up.  But maybe Travis and next years 1st or this years 2nd possibly.  Come on guys this is a solid LT who was a mid first rounder signed to a very cap friendly deal.  He will not go that cheap.  Please be realistic.

229337[/snapback]

Denny Green hates him, so you never know. Noone cares about what round you are drafted in the season after teh draft, they care only about your performance on the field. If a guy was drafted more than 3 years ago it really doesnt matter where they went.

You are going to get him from the cards for Travis stright up.  But maybe Travis and next years 1st or this years 2nd possibly.  Come on guys this is a solid LT who was a mid first rounder signed to a very cap friendly deal.  He will not go that cheap.  Please be realistic.

229337[/snapback]

It seems to me that Denny Green bases his decisions on his gut and on emotion. From a supply and demand standpoint you are right: there will be more qualified RBs than left tackles this offseason. But from a gut standpoint--if Green decides that Henry is a winner and that Shelton isn't--then Green will do the deal straight up.

Denny Green hates him, so you never know.  Noone cares about what round you are drafted in the season after teh draft, they care only about your performance on the field.  If a guy was drafted more than 3 years ago it really doesnt matter where they went.

229344[/snapback]

Again, not to be realistic again, but Travis is worth what maybe a 3rd or 4th at most. Yeah I know some folks around here say 2nd, and even then.

But Shelton is a top 10 LT in the NFL, who is on a cap friendly deal. It is not just the Bills who will want this guy. We are going to be bidding again the likes of any team with a need at LT. Miami, NO, Washington, Cinci, Cleveland, Chicago, etc....

He will not be had for less then a 1st rounder at a minimu, and possibly a first plus more. LT of this quality, age and contract size do not come around very often.

If they were to deal with us, even with Travis, we still give up at least our 2nd this year, and/or 1st next year.

Now personally I would jump all over this. I am not a big fan of Mr. Average when he is healthy Jennings. He seems to miss a third of every season and then is only average when in there.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/...5cards0205.html

It seems like most feel that Jennings won't be back next year. I feel Shelton might be a slight downgrade from Jennings yet all things condidered I think it be a fair trade for both sides. As Shelton is a proven NFL player and probably prove being worth more than an unknown draft pick and the free agent landscape is pretty bare when it comes to Offensive Tackles. Not to mention Shelton doesn't have a big money contract, which seems to be the most overwhelming reason most here don't want to re-sign Jennings. Toss in Damion Shelton is LJ's cousin might make him a perfect fit here. And of course it gets rid of Henry and puts him in the NFC and allows him to be "the guy"once again  now that Emmit is retired. Thoughts?

229243[/snapback]

Is this guy an upgrade or downgrade from Jennings.

And why is Jennings going to get some mega-deal?

He did have a nice year this year, a "contract" year, and had a couple nice games.

AZ may actually not get nailed with a big cap hit in the trade, and that could bode very well for us, as AZ will be willing to deal.

Shelton signed an extension in late '03, and Cards were able to use a bunch of the cap hit in '03, meaning that they'll absorb about $2mil of a cap hit with the trade.

I would crap my pants if we could work out a trade and get Shelton.  Here is a guy who could step right in and really help solidify our line with McNally's help.  I'd easily do a Henry for Shelton deal.

229257[/snapback]

Sounds like another Mike Willams type of guy. That could be sweet.

But Shelton is a top 10 LT in the NFL, who is on a cap friendly deal.

229367[/snapback]

When the hell did Shelton become a top ten LT? When he went on the trading block?

He's a solid LT who despite a few very recent injuries will get a look from plenty of teams, but over-valuing him isn't being any more "realistic" than anyone else in this thread.

Considering Shelton was replaced last year and is now expendable, I think Henry is a pretty even trade. Remember, before this year Henry WAS top ten at his position (in terms of yards and TD's anyway) before he was replaced by a younger guy with more upside after getting injured. Oh yeah, and he's signed to a cap friendly contract.

Sounds kind of familiar.

Again, not to be realistic again, but Travis is worth what maybe a 3rd or 4th at most.  Yeah I know some folks around here say 2nd, and even then. 

But Shelton is a top 10 LT in the NFL, who is on a cap friendly deal.  It is not just the Bills who will want this guy.  We are going to be bidding again the likes of any team with a need at LT.  Miami, NO, Washington, Cinci, Cleveland, Chicago, etc.... 

He will not be had for less then a 1st rounder at a minimu, and possibly a first plus more.  LT of this quality, age and contract size do not come around very often. 

If they were to deal with us, even with Travis, we still give up at least our 2nd this year, and/or 1st next year.

Now personally I would jump all over this.  I am not a big fan of Mr. Average when he is healthy Jennings.  He seems to miss a third of every season and then is only average when in there.

229367[/snapback]

Thanks VA!

I get tired trying to explain that teams will not give up the store to acquire a second rate football player. :P:blink:

When the hell did Shelton become a top ten LT?  When he went on the trading block?

He's a solid LT who despite a few very recent injuries will get a look from plenty of teams, but over-valuing him isn't being any more "realistic" than anyone else in this thread.

Considering Shelton was replaced last year and is now expendable, I think Henry is a pretty even trade.  Remember, before this year Henry WAS top ten at his position (in terms of yards and TD's anyway) before he was replaced by a younger guy with more upside after getting injured.  Oh yeah, and he's signed to a cap friendly contract.

Sounds kind of familiar.

229476[/snapback]

Shelton is a very solid tackle who was injured prior to this season and came in camp 10 pounds over weight. Green told him to lose it immediately and bench him. Shelton then got the chance to start again later in the year at RT and they dominated for a few games until he was injured again.

Prior to this year he had started just about everygame at LT since his rookie season. He in fact had taken very few plays off. While he is not in the Pace or Ogden level, he is the next tier down, and certainly and upgrade from Jennings. This guy rarely needs help at LT except against the stud DE's in the league.

If I remember correct though he has been known to throw a leg whip on occassion and has been known to have somewhat of a mean streak on the field. Me I could live with that.

And yes based on this he is a top 10 tackle in the league.

Shelton is a very solid tackle who was injured prior to this season and came in camp 10 pounds over weight.  Green told him to lose it immediately and bench him.  Shelton then got the chance to start again later in the year at RT and they dominated for a few games until he was injured again. 

Prior to this year he had started just about everygame at LT since his rookie season.  He in fact had taken very few plays off.  While he is not in the Pace or Ogden level, he is the next tier down, and certainly and upgrade from Jennings. This guy rarely needs help at LT except against the stud DE's in the league. 

If I remember correct though he has been known to throw a leg whip on occassion and has been known to have somewhat of a mean streak on the field.  Me I could live with that.

And yes based on this he is a top 10 tackle in the league.

229505[/snapback]

Dude, I think your off base here. Shelton was a sleeper prospect taken early in the 1999 Draft. Green made him second string because he was disgusted with his line. 6-6 335 with 6 years experience and he's 28. Green demoted him for a reason and I dont think it was only coming into training camp too fat. Shelton stripped off the pounds and still sat the bench. Leonard Davis was moved to LT and did well. Some reporters have claimed that LJ Shelton was one of the best o-lineman on the Cards, top 2 or 3. So, it could be that Shelton is underrated by Green. But this is DEFINETELY something to be weary of.

I absolutely would not trade Henry for Shelton straight up. Shelton is NOT worthy of a pro bowl RB like Henry in a trade. Shelton plus a pick, yes. But to me I would say it needs to be something like a 4th or maybe even a 3 AND Shelton for Henry.

I still think Miami may be set to trade Surtain to us. Surtain or Shelton, you do the math.

Dude, I think your off base here. Shelton was a sleeper prospect taken early in the 1999 Draft. Green made him second string because he was disgusted with his line. 6-6 335 with 6 years experience and he's 28. Green demoted him for a reason and I dont think it was only coming into training camp too fat. Shelton stripped off the pounds and still sat the bench. Leonard Davis was moved to LT and did well. Some reporters have claimed that LJ Shelton was one of the best o-lineman on the Cards, top 2 or 3. So, it could be that Shelton is underrated by Green. But this is DEFINETELY something to be weary of.

I absolutely would not trade Henry for Shelton straight up. Shelton is NOT worthy of a pro bowl RB like Henry in a trade. Shelton plus a pick, yes. But to me I would say it needs to be something like a 4th or maybe even a 3 AND Shelton for Henry.

I still think Miami may be set to trade Surtain to us. Surtain or Shelton, you do the math.

229708[/snapback]

Any credibility you had with the minion around here for your blathering about starting JP should now shed some light on your football knowledge. You have no clue about football and your post shows that you don't live in reality.

Any credibility you had with the minion around here for your blathering about starting JP should now shed some light on your football knowledge.  You have no clue about football and your post shows that you don't live in reality.

229717[/snapback]

Your a waste of a posters account!

Meh.. We'd be trading one misfit for another, the difference being one is an over-achiever (TH), the other is an under-achiever (Shelton). Wouldn't really bother me too much if we made this trade, I guess. If JMac can turn MW around, he can do the same thing for Shelton.

Meh.. We'd be trading one misfit for another, the difference being one is an over-achiever (TH), the other is an under-achiever (Shelton). Wouldn't really bother me too much if we made this trade, I guess. If JMac can turn MW around, he can do the same thing for Shelton.

229726[/snapback]

Interesting point of J Mac. I just feel like there are some guys out there that could be traded for that are in the upper eschelon of the league already. Why not go after one of them? even if they are older?

Especially at THE most important spot on the o-line, LT. Its looking more and more likely that Walter Jones is headed for FA. Why would we not pay the money for the guy? What about Surtain? Ty Law may be cut, Hell even Rod Gardner. LJ Shelton is the LEAST desirable out of the guys on the block. Surtain, or Gardner are both above him in my mind.

Interesting point of J Mac. I just feel like there are some guys out there that could be traded for that are in the upper eschelon of the league already. Why not go after one of them? even if they are older?

Especially at THE most important spot on the o-line, LT. Its looking more and more likely that Walter Jones is headed for FA. Why would we not pay the money for the guy? What about Surtain? Ty Law may be cut, Hell even Rod Gardner. LJ Shelton is the LEAST desirable out of the guys on the block. Surtain, or Gardner are both above him in my mind.

229730[/snapback]

I would LOVE to get Walter Jones but I don't think TD will break the bank for him.

I'm very wary of Surtain, he didn't have a good year in 2004. Many on Finheaven think a declining Sam Madison outplayed him... just too much $$$, I'd rather keep McGee at LCB, he will continue to improve.

Ty Law? I think he has a better chance of coming here than Surtain, but we've already got too much cap $$$ in the secondary with Milloy, Vincent, & an extended Nate.

Rod Gardner? No thanks, not impressed with him at all.

I would LOVE to get Walter Jones but I don't think TD will break the bank for him.

229737[/snapback]

The thing about Walter Jones, via ESPN The Magazine, is that he likes to hold out during training camp. He waits until the end of camp and then signs a one-year deal, so he can skip training camp every year. He has been doing this for a few years now.

Just a hunch, but I don't see that going over very well here.

I'm very wary of Surtain, he didn't have a good year in 2004. Many on Finheaven think a declining Sam Madison outplayed him... just too much $$$, I'd rather keep McGee at LCB, he will continue to improve.

Ty Law? I think he has a better chance of coming here than Surtain, but we've already got too much cap $$$ in the secondary with Milloy, Vincent, & an extended Nate.

Rod Gardner? No thanks, not impressed with him at all.

229737[/snapback]

Not impressed with Gardner? He was there best WR when Ramsey started a few years back, I think that Brunell was why you havent heard squat from him, now Ramsey has been screwed up by his benching ordeal, Ramsey will rebound but it may take a few years.

As far as Jones, Im not so sure TD doesnt have him in mind. TD Did in fact pay top dollar for Williams and he knows how important the LT spot is. I have this feeling that the Drew pay-cut and Moulds restructure is to get money for some specific player or maybe a short list of potential players. I have a feeling that TD knows he is going to be in good cap shape from now on and that this year with some specific cap moves he could end up 13-15 mill under. I think TD sees this team as VERY close to being SB caliper and that a FEW studs, yes properly paid, would put us into the elite-in-the-league status. Its just a hunch. I dont see him spending all 13-15 mill on second tier guys, I see him grabbing a few studs! and filling in depth from the draft.

The thing about Walter Jones, via ESPN The Magazine, is that he likes to hold out during training camp.  He waits until the end of camp and then signs a one-year deal, so he can skip training camp every year.  He has been doing this for a few years now.

Just a hunch, but I don't see that going over very well here.

229767[/snapback]

hold up, it MAY be true that he is lazy and is skipping the workouts, But I think its more likely that the elite LT's were sick and tired of anually being franchised and wanted to get at least ONE damn team to set the market value for a stud LT. Every year, the teams keep saying "its not MY job to set the market". I dont blame him for just wanting a damn extension.

Pace, Jones keep getting tagged and never get a new contract, they are probably pretty sick and tired of not having their contract locked up and going through this every year. Id bet that they may have been very willing to take a little less before to get a deal done, but now are being pricks because their teams keep screwing with them.

hold up, it MAY be true that he is lazy and is skipping the workouts, But I think its more likely that the elite LT's were sick and tired of anually being franchised and wanted to get at least ONE damn team to set the market value for a stud LT. Every year, the teams keep saying "its not MY job to set the market". I dont blame him for just wanting a damn extension.

Pace, Jones keep getting tagged and never get a new contract, they are probably pretty sick and tired of not having their contract locked up and going through this every year. Id bet that they may have been very willing to take a little less before to get a deal done, but now are being pricks because their teams keep screwing with them.

229773[/snapback]

I don't know about all that. Having the market set is one thing, but trying to set your own market is another.

I don't remember the numbers anymore, but St. Loius tried offering Pace a contract that would have made him the highest paid LT in the league, and the highest paid player on his team. He turned it down.

I don't remember hearing much about Jones' contract negotiations, but I know Pace is asking for WAY too damn much money. Those kinds of contracts kill a team, and I wouldn't want any part of a player that demands that much. There is no way one player can make up for that much lost salary cap space, no matter what position they play.

229708[/snapback]

So you think we will get a 3rd and a LT for Travis Henry?

That ranks 3rd in my estimation of ridiculous trade proposals behind Travis straight up for Gallery, and Travis for Miami's first pick.

PS: Teams almost never trade LTs. When it does happen, it will not be for a stupid, beat up running back.

That ranks 3rd in my estimation of ridiculous trade proposals behind Travis straight up for Gallery, and Travis for Miami's first pick.

PS: Teams almost never trade LTs. When it does happen, it will not be for a stupid, beat up running back.

229781[/snapback]

Hey, I agree with you about teams not parting with STUD LT's. My arguement is that Jennings is set to leave, so the Bills apparently dont feel they MUST hang on to their LT. AND Shelton is NOT worth Henry straight up!

Its a DREAM to think any team will trade us a LT and a 3rd rounder for Henry, but crazy stuff does happen, ask Ditka about getting Ricky!

Its more likely that it would be Henry for LJ plus a 5th or 6th.

I just feel like with our cap situation, decent depth, and already solid team in most areas, we should spend some dough on a few studs. a serious upgrade on the o-line with a few studs would be, by far, the best move for this team. Especially if they plan to start Losman, it could mean the difference between a 8 and 8 or worse season and the playoffs at say 9 and 6. If Losman has lots of time and isnt rattled, I think he will do pretty damn good. It worked for Pitt!

Lots of ifs, but why take a guy who is a sleeper type at THE MOST IMPORTANT o-line position? why not pay, your highest salary on the o-line, to the best player on the o-line in the most important position. Im not sure its wise to take a chance on Shelton at LT. We need a guy we can count on from day one.

229781[/snapback]

Watch Jp-idiot will start calling you names now.