Bills GM wants next coach to revive EJ Manuel

Maybe this has already been mentioned as I haven't read the whole thread... but it is also common for offensive coaches to have huge egos and think they can make anything work. It happens all the time with the draft, where coaches look at a prospect and bang the table for the GM to take him insisting he can make him great despite issues they are aware of. There are plenty of OCs (who want to be HCs) who don't run from players like this, but rather insist they can win with them because they honestly believe they can - because they are offensive geniuses (in their minds). I'm not saying that is good or bad (maybe a little of both) but it does happen.

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If saving EJ's career is the focus of the search, then, we are Dooomed. the new coach needs to be a O guy, or hire a great OC. He doens't need to have developing EJ as the prime directive. Winning games and making the playoffs is the prime directive....THIS YEAR, not in the future. If EJ can't run with the big dogs, let him sit on the porch.....as they say.

Winning the Super Bowl is the focus of the search.

It would appear that Whaley has put all his eggs in the Manuel basket for next season at the very least. He has no choice but to want that it would seem.

I don't know why this keeps getting repeated - DW said in his closing presser specifically he was not doing this. Just because he wants to get a coach to understand that EJ is currently on the roster and he hopes to continue his development?

All his eggs? I don't get that impression at all. That he sees it as a viable route to discuss? Probably.

Exactly. He's not telling coaches that EJ is the guaranteed starter and no other options will be provided. EJ is here to be developed. If the new coach can aide in the development to the point where EJ is the best QB on the roster, so be it. I've said a few times, the position will be addressed most likely in FA and the draft.

I think at this point Whaley should extract what the Bills organization can from their investment in EJ (even if for only one year). Of course, IF Marrone and his inept OC hadn't wasted a full season on EJ it would be much easier for Whaley to fully determine what his next move relative to EJ should be, but what a total waste of time for the entire organization as a whole to let Marrone set things so far back.

Somewhere Jim Plunkett is smiling, recalling how once he got out from underneath coaches inept and inept he actually won a Super Bowl.

When did this become about the development of one player at the expense of getting to the playoffs and winning a Super Bowl?

We CANNOT waste this defense AGAIN. I'm fine with EJ having a chance to COMPETE for the job, but they must bring in another vet in FA. I don't want to hear about how EJ "won" a camp competition against Jeff Tuel and Alex Tanney.

Everyone hates Marrone and says Orton only played because Marrone wanted to "pad his resume with wins."

Think about that for a second.

Edited by TheFunPolice

When did this become about the development of one player at the expense of getting to the playoffs and winning a Super Bowl?

We CANNOT waste this defense AGAIN. I'm fine with EJ having a chance to COMPETE for the job, but they must bring in another vet in FA. I don't want to hear about how EJ "won" a camp competition against Jeff Tuel and Alex Tanney.

Everyone hates Marrone and says Orton only played because Marrone wanted to "pad his resume with wins."

OK. For the second time, who is your better option? Brady, Luck and Manning are not available. The way to get a good QB is to draft and develop one. Developing one does not happen overnight.

If you see a super bowl qb were all missing, then you should apply for the job. In the mean time it like EJ fringe starter vet and a mid round rookie.... And developing EJ sounds like something we'd want in a coach coming into that situation.

QB options are very limited and Whaley knows it. He is trying to talk up EJ, but bottom line, the HC that you planned to retain played a below average vet that was struggling ahead of him to prop up his own resume. Not saying much. This FO has completely blown the QB position and the entire league knows it. He can talk up EJ, but HC candidates know they'll come in and have potential for great defense and do their best to get by with below average QB.

OK. For the second time, who is your better option? Brady, Luck and Manning are not available. The way to get a good QB is to draft and develop one. Developing one does not happen overnight.

Oh they aren't? I was hoping they could just sign Andrew Luck. Terry has the $$$ after all!

You didn't mention Aaron Rogers, so I guess he is my pick.

Because, anyone who isn't ready to hop onto Russ Brandon's EJ Manuel train is just a big dummy!

LOL

It's January 7th. There will be the trade market. Free agency. The draft.

IF EJ remains the most viable option at QB after all of that then it will be a HUGE mistake.

MadDog69 and NoSaint are just making good sense. None of us knew how to drive until someone invested some time into helping us learn how to keep ourselves and others around us safe. All EJ needs/deserves is a fair shot, nothing more, nothing less (akin to what Marrone and his inept OC did). Again, sometimes it's not the position, it's the coach(es).

Edited by Lombardi1

I'd love to hear Jim Schwartz's take on EJ Manuel, the offensive line and the Nate Hackett situations under Marrone.

An interesting idea.

Where I believe Coach Schwartz would have handled the entire situation with more class and competence, I suspect he knew who was buttering his bread at that point and simply kept his sentiments to himself.

So how come Marrone didn't want to "pad his resume" by winning with EJ?

It almost seems like an out of shape guy who didn't even want to play football and only showed up after camp was done so he didn't have to exercise was a better option to win games.

It may have been a case of simply his own Pride. It wouldn't surprise in the least bit if Marrone's bloodline has some Mule in it. It's his ball and everyone was going to play his way or else...

So Hackett is a good coach who was held back in play calling by Marrone?

But EJ never had any good coaching. Remember: EJ was the annointed starter throughout OTAs and training camp this season. Hackett and a QB coach were here working with EJ as their guy while Marrone was screaming at Urbik near the sleds.

Hackett and the offensive staff devoted the bulk of their coaching energy/time to EJ from last spring all trough August. Then they signed Orton right before the season because St. Doug was about to go postal at not having any other option at QB.

So how can Hackett be any good as an offensive coach? Are we suppsoed to believe that St. Doug (who spent most of his energy on the OL) told Hackett AND the QB coach they hired to work with EJ not to really coach him when their jobs rode on it?

Look, I am not against giving EJ a fair shot. But the chances of him panning out are VERY slim. This defense is ready to win NOW and I would hate to see them wasted (again) with an inept offense.

I'm just taken aback by this idea that Hackett is suddenly good and EJ is now a promising young QB.

Edited by TheFunPolice