We need a Coach & OC that can properly develop EJ

BmarvB

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There really isn't much in the way of a FA that's going to come in as a starter and hit the ground running, but we should be able to get a decent backup to help EJ along.

I agree. My biggest hope is like I said about getting a QB coach that has shown he can develop a young QB or help fix a broken FA backup.

this, from the link posted above.. sound familiar?

"I would like to see what the Seahawks offense would look like with a new OC. I could be wrong but I think bevell is a terrible play caller and the only reason the hawks offense is average is because Russell extends drives with his creativity. If I see one more WR screen for negative yardage I’m gonna throw up. Even my wife who knows nothing about football but likes to watch it with me complains about it."

ok, ok... so everybody's a critic, right?.. so i'll let the Bevell advocates explain how

• Tom Cable's outstanding work with the O-line
  • Marshawn Lynch's fierce execution of the outside zone
  • Pete Carroll's imaginative adaption of Gus Malzahn's 'play option pass' into their vertical passing game
  • Russell Wilson's terrific intincts

translate to earning a head coaching job for my Bills - let alone an interview for OC..

my point is - don't believe all the hype surrounding these young assistants/coordinators.. much, if not all of their success is built upon foundations laid by experienced coaches, and executed by very talented players. as far as any of us know, the OC in Tampa Bay may be head and shoulders over Bevell. this isn't to say that Bevell doesn't have a good football mind.. i know that Hackett has an excellent football mind.. but Bevell has been able to prepare under Carroll - and Nate, well.. you get it.

i'll be very dissappointed if Whaley is pressured to hire a 'hot commodity' whose current resume reflects the accomplishments of others - because the 'others' aren't coming along

Edited by BackInDaDay

this, from the link posted above.. sound familiar?

"I would like to see what the Seahawks offense would look like with a new OC. I could be wrong but I think bevell is a terrible play caller and the only reason the hawks offense is average is because Russell extends drives with his creativity. If I see one more WR screen for negative yardage I’m gonna throw up. Even my wife who knows nothing about football but likes to watch it with me complains about it."

ok, ok... so everybody's a critic, right?.. so i'll let the Bevell advocates explain how

• Tom Cable's outstanding work with the O-line
  • Marshawn Lynch's fierce execution of the outside zone
  • Pete Carroll's imaginative adaption of Gus Malzahn's 'play option pass' into their vertical passing game
  • Russell Wilson's terrific intincts

translate to earning a head coaching job for my Bills - let alone an interview for OC..

my point is - don't believe all the hype surrounding these young assistants/coordinators.. much, if not all of their success is built upon foundations laid by experienced coaches, and executed by very talented players. as far as any of us know, the OC in Tampa Bay may be head and shoulders over Bevell. this isn't to say that Bevell doesn't have a good football mind.. i know that Hackett has an excellent football mind.. but Bevell has been able to prepare under Carroll - and Nate, well.. you get it.

i'll be very dissappointed if Whaley is pressured to hire a 'hot commodity' whose current resume reflects the accomplishments of others - because the 'others' aren't coming along

Carroll credits Bevell with convincing him to draft Russell Wilson. He's also had great success elsewhere, and worked/helped great QBs like Favre.

Well, a QB trusting his instincts, a strong offensive line, and imaginative usage of the read option are all reasons why his work as an OC are impressive. All of that goes into it, no? Theoretically, Bevell as HC allows him to bring over a lot of those same guys that made the offensive line impressive.

As a counterexample, Hackett taught all of his QBs to NOT trust their instincts. We saw EVERY QB regress because of this. EJ, Thad, and Orton. I guess maybe Jeff Tuel made progress, so he can have that feather in his cap.

Edited by LA Grant

I think EJ sucks and always will but what I will never understand is why teams always go after OCs who have alsltar QBs???

Like who is this adam Gaze character and no **** he looks good when P Manning is your QB!!!

This is why I like the Bevell Idea. He wasn't gift wrapped a HOF quarterback.

Edited by peterpan

It's interesting to me that Polian said that the departure of Orton played a role in his decision. I mean, it's not like the Bills don't have a big-armed first round qb going into his third season on the roster! Now that we're pretty sure that Marrone gave Polian the lowdown (in his view) of the overall situation, I can't help but think that Marrone told Polian in no uncertain terms that Manuel was a no-hope bust.

This sounds plausible to me. But Marone may be wrong about him.

Carroll credits Bevell with convincing him to draft Russell Wilson. He's also had great success elsewhere, and worked/helped great QBs like Favre.

ok - so the Wisconson alumni talked up the Wisconson QB.. but honestly, no one's 'coached' Favre since he left his father's side.

ok - so the Wisconson alumni talked up the Wisconson QB.. but honestly, no one's 'coached' Favre since he left his father's side.

I understand. The point was more of the experience than that he had real effect on Favre. The Wisconsin thing didn't matter. What mattered is that everyone in the league was convinced that Russell Wilson's height was going to prevent him from being a starting QB in the league, and Bevell obviously saw enough that Wilson was not going to be as affected as others thought, and that his skills would translate. That proved to be true and then he built the offense around Wilson's numerous but unusual strengths.

Bevell is my top choice for HC along with Schwartz, and I think that he would have the best chance to develop him. It's possible that Reich could help him along with an OC and QB coach, but that would be three new guys in his ear, when that was one of his biggest issues, thinking too much and not just playing football.

If Bevell were the HC and took control of the offense and EJ (along with whomever else they brought in as a vet backup or stopgap starter) and promoted Schwartz to Associate HC and gave him a huge raise, that would be our best bet outside of Chip Kelly.

This is almost as good as the Cowher Gailey Schwartz scenario.

Maybe better. I think the cherry is giving Jim the AHC and raise so he knows he is loved and getting f'n paid.

But the focus on EJ is a nice touch and probably the most logical effort at this point. Good post.

I think EJ sucks and always will but what I will never understand is why teams always go after OCs who have alsltar QBs???

Like who is this adam Gaze character and no **** he looks good when P Manning is your QB!!!

This is why I like the Bevell Idea. He wasn't gift wrapped a HOF quarterback.

Not often , but sometimes you nail one.

Well, a QB trusting his instincts, a strong offensive line, and imaginative usage of the read option are all reasons why his work as an OC are impressive. All of that goes into it, no? Theoretically, Bevell as HC allows him to bring over a lot of those same guys that made the offensive line impressive.

As a counterexample, Hackett taught all of his QBs to NOT trust their instincts. We saw EVERY QB regress because of this. EJ, Thad, and Orton. I guess maybe Jeff Tuel made progress, so he can have that feather in his cap.

i don't believe anyone taught Wilson to trust his instincts

ex-HC Tom Cable - who teaches courses on zone blocking schemes, built the O-line

the POP that resuscitated Urban Meyers R/O in the pro game came from Malzahn to Carroll

the screen and sweep packages that are layered into the pro game came from guys like Kelly,Malzahn, Briles, etc..

he hasn't done jack on his own, and we're in no position to see if he's got the chops to even coordianate an offense that needs rebuilding. you think Cable's gonna come to coach our line?

i don't know what some of you guys are smokin.. but enough with these "Hansel - he's so hot right now' candidates for head coach.. HEAD COACH! jeezus.. they're killin me , Whitey!

I hope the search for a head coach has nothing to do with EJ

not the search but needs to be considered. I am sure the interviewee has an interest in what we offer for a QB, Don't you agree ?

ex-HC Tom Cable - who teaches courses on zone blocking schemes, built the O-line

the POP that resuscitated Urban Meyers R/O in the pro game came from Malzahn to Carroll

the screen and sweep packages that are layered into the pro game came from guys like Kelly,Malzahn, Briles, etc..

he hasn't done jack on his own, and we're in no position to see if he's got the chops to even coordianate an offense that needs rebuilding. you think Cable's gonna come to coach our line?

i don't know what some of you guys are smokin.. but enough with these "Hansel - he's so hot right now' candidates for head coach.. HEAD COACH! jeezus.. they're killin me , Whitey!

so not a Bevell fan ?

Suggestions ? How a bout a combination of OC and HC to solve the offense.

"Good writers borrow from other writers. Great writers steal from them outright."

-Aaron Sorkin.

Maybe better. I think the cherry is giving Jim the AHC and raise so he knows he is loved and getting f'n paid.

you again? ;)

damn, if i'm Schwartz, and you tell me i'm going to be named as an assistant to another guy who never ran an NFL team - i'm calling my agent as soon as i'm done laughing at how dumb you are.

"Good writers borrow from other writers. Great writers steal from them outright."

-Aaron Sorkin.

that's a low blow, pal - great quote :D

Let's not give up on EJ yet, it's way too soon for that. The right coach & OC can develop him into a competent QB. We don't need him to become a Brady/Manning overnight. Just get our running game back to where it was (#2), keep the run pass ratio around 60/40. That's the formula the Jets used with Mark Sanchez to get to back to back AFC championship games. If we can keep our D intact, we can do the same thing for now with him behind center and develop him at the same time.

If during the course of the interview a coach says EJ is the guy and he can make him into a serviceable QB, the interview is over and move on to the next candidate. The question should be where will you find a QB for next season and how do you develop him.

Backindaday ?

Really? Defensive Coordinator and the AHC title. With a huge pay upgrade ?

He has shown he can run a top 5 defense. Pay the man to do that and give him title upgrade.

I have been leery how they handle Jim. So you might suggest that he is leaving if he does not get the offer for HC ?

Edited by 3rdand12