My final thoughts on Saint Dougie

BmarvB

What people here think of Bill Polian is completely irrelevant. It's what Buffalo Bills owner Terry Pegula thought of Bill Polian that counts.

Pegula wanted Polian to join the Bills.

Polian wanted to join the Bills because he felt that he could have had a positive impact.

Polian decided not to join the Bills when Bills QB Kyle Orton and HC Doug Marrone left.

In the past two weeks QB Kyle Orton blew off the Buffalo Bills, HC Doug Marrone blew off the Buffalo Bills, and former GM Bill Polian blew off the Buffalo Bills. And the Bills are losing an offensive coordinator.

That's four key people that the Bills are losing. Four key people that could have improved in Year Three of HC Doug Marrone - a critical year in any coach's tenure.

Now the Bills are starting from scratch.

Rebuild!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What people here think of Bill Polian is completely irrelevant. It's what Buffalo Bills owner Terry Pegula thought of Bill Polian that counts.

Polian wanted to join the Bills because he felt that he could have had a positive impact.

Polian decided not to join the Bills when Bills QB Kyle Orton and HC Doug Marrone left.

In the past two weeks QB Kyle Orton blew off the Buffalo Bills, HC Doug Marrone blew off the Buffalo Bills, and former GM Bill Polian blew off the Buffalo Bills. And the Bills are losing an offensive coordinator.

That's four key people that the Bills are losing. Four key people that could have improved in Year Three of HC Doug Marrone - a critical year in any coach's tenure.

Rebuild!

And 4 people the Bills can replace. None of them were indispensable or even all that good at their jobs. There are over 300 million people in the U.S. There has to be 4 good ones that will jump at this opportunity. TP didn't build a multi-billion dollar business by accident. He needs to learn the ways of sports franchises, but he seems pretty smart.

I just don't see that.

Bill Polian changing his mind and declining Terry Pegula's offer to join the Buffalo Bills is all the evidence anyone needs to realize that the Buffalo Bills are a disaster right now.

oh, the (manufactured) horror ...... :wallbash:

Rebuild!

wrong

wrong

wrong

Polian bailed when he saw the job description change dramatically; it had nothing to do with Marrone, and as far as Orton, that is laughable

Orton retired to be with family and we are better off w/out someone as noncommittal as Orton

Marrone asked for an unjustifiable extension as if he was the messiah who had led the Bills to the promised land; TPegs called his bluff and let him opt out instead of firing him

The Bills are "losing an OC" ? says who? good riddance if/when they axe Hackett, who needs to go back to D3

You mention "4 key people" the Bills are losing, as if they've had Polian this whole time

Your logic is lacking

I just don't see that.

Bill Polian changing his mind and declining Terry Pegula's offer to join the Buffalo Bills is all the evidence anyone needs to realize that the Buffalo Bills are a disaster right now.

Polian didn't want to do the work necessary once Marrone bounced. AND he was rumored to be bringing in AJ Smith as GM. THAT would be a disaster. Bills are in great shape. They can find a better coach than Marrone and a better OC than Hackett. And they still have talent on D and talent at the skill positions. Relax. It's gonna be okay.

Edited by purple haze

Complete, total denial of Bills fans here.

2015 would have been year three of the Doug Marrone coaching era in Buffalo. Year three, an important year in any coach's tenure.

In the third year of HC Doug Marrone with OC Nate Hackett, former GM Bill Polian and new Bills owner Terry Pegula would have given this team valuable leadership.

Year three - when Terry Pegula and Bill Polian would have had a long off-season working with HC Doug Marrone and OC Nate Hackett and QB Kyle Orton.

Year three - when Terry Pegula and Bill Polian would have looked at the previous two years of HC Doug Marrone and OC Nate Hackett, and Kyle Orton, found where they did things wrong, and insisted on change.

Now the Buffalo Bills offense is back to square one. :bag:

P.S. The clock is ticking on the Buffalo Bills defense. They're not going to be around forever.

P.S.S. Bill Polian wanted to come back to Buffalo because he saw a football team on the upswing. Bill Polian changed his mind about Buffalo being on the upswing and decided against coming to Buffalo. If you can't see this you are completely blind.

2015 would have been year three of the Doug Marrone coaching era in Buffalo. Year three, an important year in any coach's tenure.

In the third year of HC Doug Marrone with OC Nate Hackett, former GM Bill Polian and new Bills owner Terry Pegula would have given this team valuable leadership.

Year three - when Terry Pegula and Bill Polian would have had a long off-season working with HC Doug Marrone and OC Nate Hackett and QB Kyle Orton.

P.S. The clock is ticking on the Buffalo Bills defense. They're not going to be around forever.

29th best offense. The Marrone fix was working so well.

Do you believe anything you say ? Everytime I read one of your posts I put on a Smiths album and cut myself. I love the consistency of doom and paranoia in each one.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

I just don't see that.

Disaster is punting on 4th and one in your opponents territory. He created a culture of playing not to lose.

29th best offense. The Marrone fix was working so well.

Do you believe anything you say ? Everytime I read one of your posts I put on a Smiths album and cut myself. I love the consistency of doom and paranoia in each one.

I find it funny that people engage that obvious Troll. She is straight ignore list material.

Year three - when Terry Pegula and Bill Polian would have looked at the previous two years of HC Doug Marrone and OC Nate Hackett, and Kyle Orton, found where they did things wrong, and insisted on change.

P.S.S. Bill Polian wanted to come back to Buffalo because he saw a football team on the upswing. Bill Polian changed his mind about Buffalo being on the upswing and decided against coming to Buffalo. If you can't see this you are completely blind.

This idea that year three is an important year for a coaching staff is often true. However, in those instances where you see a marked improvement, there is generally an upward trajectory during the first and second years - not always reflected in the record, but certainly reflected in play. We saw it on the defensive side of the ball, which was the product of Pettine and Schwartz. The only credit I will give to Marrone is hiring those guys - which is what a HC should do. On the offensive side of the ball, the trajectory was a steep descent. I cannot think of a single offensive player that improved under Marrone and Hackett. As a matter of fact, there was a marked regression almost across the board with players - and the worst area of all was the offensive line where Marrone spent most of his "hands on" time during practice.

Now the Buffalo Bills offense is back to square one? Are you kidding me? Square one would be a step up from the disaster left by Marrone and Hackett. The Bills may have finished 9-7; however, if you ask most fans, my guess is that most of us would say it felt very hollow and didn't generate the enthusiasm for next season that the first winning record in ten years should have.

IMO, the best thing in the world that could have happened to this team, at this juncture, was for Marrone to leave and Polian to stay at ESPN...the future looks brighter to me.

So good.

I see the glass half-full here not half empty. The circumstances of the off season to date do not require a rebuild. This is a reload at most.

The defense and FG's carried this team all season. With the exception of the status of Jerry Hughes returning this group should return pretty much in tact. In his two seasons Marrone had Pettine and Schwartz, two very good DC's so this freed up his time to focus on the other aspects of his job.

The offense was terrible and regressed in 2014, 26th in total yards, 25th in rushing, and 18th in passing. Hackett was in way over his head and lacks the experience and competency to be an NFL level OC at this point in his career. And Marrone let his personal relationship with Hackett cloud his judgment. In my view losing Hackett is a plus. I'm confident any new HC is going to bring in somebody better and my expectation is significant improvement.

Polian was supposed to be brought in as an advisor but as information trickles in it sounds like he already had his mind made up with talk of bringing AJ Smith back. So much for taking the time to sit down and gather information, interview people in the organization, understand the current philosophy. This is a disaster averted, another plus.

Also expect to see Ralph's cronnies gone too along with the dysfunction and conflict they generate. That has got to be a plus. The organization will emerge this off season with one goal, one mind, one plan.

The big question is QB and that would have been whether or not Marrone stay, whether or not Polian came on boards. Did they have some secret plan that Whaley, Pegula, and the new HC could not have come up with? Not likely.

Marrone leaving and Polian not coming has been the best thing to happen so far this off season for the Bills. Addition by substraction. Now if TP would get rid of Ralph's cronnies it would be 3 for 3..

Rebuild!

I do not know anyone that would call the OC as a KEY person. Who did he sign with?

I don't totally agree with this. I think Polians age has a lot to do with his decision not to take the job. Most guys at 72 don't want to do anything, and his TV gig keeps him active, relevant, and tied to the game. Maybe I'm wrong, who knows!

You're not wrong. I'm not doing $#%! at 72 either if I'm still around :lol:

Rebuild!

Oh good grief...bullspit!

The Bills return a top 4 Defense, a true #1 WR, a decent stable of RB's, solid ST's, a kicker who is all but automatic, not to mention the fact that they're getting Kiko back in 2015...Rebuild? Whatever... :doh:

You are greatly, and I mean grossly overstating Marrone and Hackett's effectiveness...In many ways the Bills won despite those two and mainly due to their Defense...Had they been truly efficient at their jobs the Bills would be playing this weekend...Their Offense regressed from their first year...Regressed! The run first Offense that can't run...The ex O-lineman, and ex O-line coach, who was completely unable to get his O-line to execute much of anything...We can't do better than that? Really?

I'm not saying the Bills will hire the right guy...But I do know one thing for certain...If they do...If they find a HC who can turn this Offense around...This is a Playoff team, and a darn good one... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

Sorry, but if lack of a 72 year old former great FO man who caused a dumpster fire at his last gig causes someone to shy off, they weren't right for the job in the first place.

Your right, I did not like the idea it sounds like a marketing idea. Whaley has done a good job IMO. The personnel he brought in was awesome the coaches did the rest. Marrone still had his collage attitude, better off without.