Some thoughts re the "opt out"

jahnyc

Some thoughts below.

1. Marrone seems to have a huge ego, and at least on the surface, it appears that he has pulled a Parcells type move by opting out (we all know he is no Parcells). I have a feeling that what will come out over time is that the Pegulas were not interested in retaining Marrone long term, and his position as head coach would be in jeopardy in the short term. This would be consistent with the reports that Pegula would not give him or his assistants extensions and the silence from Pegula at the end of the season regarding next season. Simply put, I do not think that Pegula wanted Marrone to continue as the head coach of the Bills.

2. I really hope there is a plan in place and the Bills were prepared for this scenario.

3. A lot of stuff will come out about Marrone now that he has opted out. We are already beginning to hear that people in the organization will not miss him or his miserable demeanor. Will be interesting to see if this will be the view of the current players as well. The "Saint Doug" stuff and the supposed friction with Whaley that we all observed during training camp were definitely a prelude to current events.

4. Outside of Buffalo, the optics of this will look bad, particularly if Marrone leaves for the Jets. There is more to this story, but I am not sure the national media will appreciate the realities and nuances of this situation.

5. I get why Marrone negotiated and would want the opt out provision in his contract, but I do not understand why the Bills would agree to it without an offset provision. That is poor negotiating.

6. Whaley may have won the battle, but he may still lose the war. If Polian is hired, I am not sure what this would mean for Whaley since I am sure the Polian would want to hire his own people, including a GM.

7. I have no idea if the head coaching position for the Bills will be attractive. Plusses are the defense, a young roster and the resources of the Pegulas. Minuses are no first round pick in 2015 and no starting caliber QB on the roster.

8. I hope Schwartz stays as DC. We need some continuity, and Schwartz did a very good job with the defense. I do not think that I would want him as the head coach.

9. I like the way Pegula handled the opt out in not agreeing to give Marrone an extension or give in to his other demands. But this shows how tough the NFL can be, and none of the owners will be real friends. I hope the Pegulas are tough and will be able to navigate through all of the current and future issues and obstacles. The most important skill for now will be their ability to hire quality people to run the organization (football related and business related).

10. I will always wonder whether Marrone played Orton in the last game to try to get his win total higher. Maybe his interests were aligned with what was good for the Bills overall, but you do need to question his motivations about this and maybe other things as well.

10. I will always wonder whether Marrone played Orton in the last game to try to get his win total higher. Maybe his interests were aligned with what was good for the Bills overall, but you do need to question his motivations about this and maybe other things as well.

Just about any coach would've played the guy they thought would get the win in that scenario. I don't think you need to assume anything nefarious. Further, I think this idea that trotting Manuel out there after not playing most of the season would be in the best interest of the Bills or of Manuel himself is just wrong-headed.

Did you guys see that NE effort in that game? Do you seriously think EJ wouldnt have won that game?

Hasn't Belicheat* told us you can't play the game at half speed? I think he did. Many coaches have that philosophy. When he is piling on points at the end of a game already won, I believe that is what he says. I may be wrong. Brady, and all the active starters, played. Do you think they were jaking it? Why start Brady at all, and risk losing him for the playoffs, if you weren't going to try to win?

With that said, given the way the game went, I think the Bills would have won with EJ---their defense controlled the game. But I don't really see the point in starting EJ in that game to tell the truth.

So much for stability. Now I just hope we can get a good Offensive minded coach with the good sense to keep Schwartz as the DC.

I wonder if Frank Reich is ready to take the next step up. Kubiak might even be a decent option as well.

Hasn't Belicheat* told us you can't play the game at half speed? I think he did. Many coaches have that philosophy. When he is piling on points at the end of a game already won, I believe that is what he says. I may be wrong. Brady, and all the active starters, played. Do you think they were jaking it? Why start Brady at all, and risk losing him for the playoffs, if you weren't going to try to win?

With that said, given the way the game went, I think the Bills would have won with EJ---their defense controlled the game. But I don't really see the point in starting EJ in that game to tell the truth.

Tell me this, did you notice our offensive playcalling being a little out of character in the first half of that game? It seemed unusual and a little weird to me seeing the things we were trying to do and left me wondering why we hadnt been playing like that all year. Or maybe NE was letting us get away with things they normally wouldnt.

Either way, i saw a NE team playing vacationball, and all i thought, during and after the game, is how they are going into the playoffs flatfooted with that effort. If they were playing to their potential, theyll be out in the first round.

Tell me this, did you notice our offensive playcalling being a little out of character in the first half of that game? It seemed unusual and a little weird to me seeing the things we were trying to do and left me wondering why we hadnt been playing like that all year. Or maybe NE was letting us get away with things they normally wouldnt.

Either way, i saw a NE team playing vacationball, and all i thought, during and after the game, is how they are going into the playoffs flatfooted with that effort. If they were playing to their potential, theyll be out in the first round.

I can't say what happened to the Bills playcalling in the first half. But it was refreshing. Do you think the Pats* were purposely throwing the game? If so, why play the starters for a half?

I dont think they were throwing the game, but Brady didnt seem to care that we got a lead on them. He was emotionless. If that game mattered... Well, youve seen how he gets on the sidelines. NE was not giving it 100%

And Marrones a dick for the way he called that game. It was his superbowl and NE let him have it. He knew about Orton, and he knew what he was gonna do. I mean, what kinda coach beats Aaron Rodgers, loses to Carr and the 2-12 Raiders, then beats Brady and Belichick? It just dosent sit well with me.

I dont think they were throwing the game, but Brady didnt seem to care that we got a lead on them. He was emotionless. If that game mattered... Well, youve seen how he gets on the sidelines. NE was not giving it 100%

And Marrones a dick for the way he called that game. It was his superbowl and NE let him have it. He knew about Orton, and he knew what he was gonna do. I mean, what kinda coach beats Aaron Rodgers, loses to Carr and the 2-12 Raiders, then beats Brady and Belichick? It just dosent sit well with me.

Yes, only "a dick" tries to win a football game in the NFL. You got me on that one. :blink:

Now we're bashing a guy for doing something that worked? But then again, Marrone wasn't the OC, so there is that.

Was just about to edit my post, i should have said hes a dick for the way he called the season.

Not trying to argure with you, im raising the points of how i noticed the way out little playoff run went in general.

Yes I saw the same thing. I was screaming at the TV on the second TD when Hairston split out at WR and the middle of the whole defense opened up for the TD. Where the hell was THAT creativity all year long?

I can't say what happened to the Bills playcalling in the first half. But it was refreshing. Do you think the Pats* were purposely throwing the game? If so, why play the starters for a half?

It's not refreshing when you can only grow a set of balls when it doesn't make a difference any more.

Yes I saw the same thing. I was screaming at the TV on the second TD when Hairston split out at WR and the middle of the whole defense opened up for the TD. Where the hell was THAT creativity all year long?

Exactly. Spread the field out, get their guys out of the box, and then run a power back up the middle. Who knew that was even legal? :wallbash:

That was a great play design and call. But the basic concept should have been part of their offense the entire season and it wasn't. Just the opposite was.