Hire Trestman as OC now

Here is his record. He was a position coach prior to 1989, but his first year as an OC was in 1989.

1989: Cleveland (OC) - 14th in points; 16th in yards (appearance in AFC championship game) -- most importantly, he was the opposing coordinator in the 34-31 Ronnie Harmon game.

1990: Minn (qb coach) - 9th in points; 12th in yards

1991: Minn (qb coach) - 10th in points; 13th in yards

1995: SF (OC) - 1st in points; 2nd in yards

1996: SF (OC) - 3rd in points; 6th in yards

1997: Detroit (qb coach) - 4th in points; 2nd in yards

1998: AZ (OC) - 15th in points; 13th in yards (they had been 25th and 24th the year before)

1999: AZ (OC) - 30th in points; 29th in yards

2000: AZ (OC) - 29th in points; 24th in yards

2001: Oak (QB coach) - 4th in points; 7th in yards

2002: Oak (OC) - 2nd in points; 1st in yards

2003: Oak (OC) - 26th in points; 25th in yards (Gannon got hurt early in the season)

2013: Chi (HC) - 2nd in points; 8th in yards

2014: Chi (HC) - 23rd in points; 21st in yards

His success seems predicated on the talent of his QB. I realize that's not a wild statement, as it's likely the case for 95% of OC's, but I don't know what to expect out of his offense. Would he really implement creativity that caters to the players on the field, or would he force a system down everyone's throat?

His success seems predicated on the talent of his QB. I realize that's not a wild statement, as it's likely the case for 95% of OC's, but I don't know what to expect out of his offense. Would he really implement creativity that caters to the players on the field, or would he force a system down everyone's throat?

Yeah, that's true, but it's pretty much the same for every coach. Arians' Cardinals were 24th in points and 24th in yards this year, and it was due solely to the QB situation. Arians is a very good offensive coach, but there's only so much you can do when your QBs go down.

Trestman did OK with a young Gannon in Minnesota (1999-1991). I have no idea why the Cardinals plummeted in 1999 and 2000 though.

The Lions improved dramatically from 20th/21st in 1996 to 4th/2nd in 1997, which is when Trestman arrived in Detroit. That said, he was the QB coach. On the other hand, he managed to get a great season out of Scott Mitchell ...

One interesting fact - Sean Payton/the Saints hired Trestman as a consultant in 2007, when Marrone was the OC for the Saints.

Edited by dave mcbride

Yeah, that's true, but it's pretty much the same for every coach. Arians' Cardinals were 24th in points and 24th in yards this year, and it was due solely to the QB situation. Arians is a very good offensive coach, but there's only so much you can do when your QBs go down.

Trestman did OK with a young Gannon in Minnesota (1999-1991). I have no idea why the Cardinals plummeted in 1999 and 2000 though.

Freudian slip?

18f47619t2449jpg.jpg

You mean to tell me Trestman has had success where he's had adequate QB play and struggles elsewhere?

No kidding.

2013 - Josh McCown / 5 starts with the Bears - 109 QB rating / 86 QBR.

If he can do that with McCown, I'd like to see what he could do with Manuel.

2013 - Josh McCown / 5 starts with the Bears - 109 QB rating / 86 QBR.

If he can do that with McCown, I'd like to see what he could do with Manuel.

If we are looking for a guy with a proven record of developing QBs, then Chan Gailey would be better.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2010/12/20/1886892/ryan-fitzpatrick-is-chan-gaileys-latest-reclamation-project

The Lions improved dramatically from 20th/21st in 1996 to 4th/2nd in 1997, which is when Trestman arrived in Detroit. That said, he was the QB coach. On the other hand, he managed to get a great season out of Scott Mitchell ...

One interesting fact - Sean Payton/the Saints hired Trestman as a consultant in 2007, when Marrone was the OC for the Saints.

The Cards were pretty terrible. I lived in Phoenix in those years. Jake the Snake was extremely erratic. Vince Tobin was a crappy coach. Adrian Murrell was their best RB. Frank Sanders was pretty good but David Boston sucked. He had 1-2 good years total.

Here is his record. He was a position coach prior to 1989, but his first year as an OC was in 1989.

1989: Cleveland (OC) - 14th in points; 16th in yards (appearance in AFC championship game) -- most importantly, he was the opposing coordinator in the 34-31 Ronnie Harmon game.

1990: Minn (qb coach) - 9th in points; 12th in yards

1991: Minn (qb coach) - 10th in points; 13th in yards

1995: SF (OC) - 1st in points; 2nd in yards

1996: SF (OC) - 3rd in points; 6th in yards

1997: Detroit (qb coach) - 4th in points; 2nd in yards

1998: AZ (OC) - 15th in points; 13th in yards (they had been 25th and 24th the year before)

1999: AZ (OC) - 30th in points; 29th in yards

2000: AZ (OC) - 29th in points; 24th in yards

2001: Oak (QB coach) - 4th in points; 7th in yards

2002: Oak (OC) - 2nd in points; 1st in yards

2003: Oak (OC) - 26th in points; 25th in yards (Gannon got hurt early in the season)

2013: Chi (HC) - 2nd in points; 8th in yards

2014: Chi (HC) - 23rd in points; 21st in yards

He turns wine into water.

Pass.

He turns wine into water.

Pass.

Dunno about that. 2002 in Oakland was what it was because of Gannon going down early and having to rely on Rick Mirer and Marques Tuiasosopo, and the AZ offense improved dramatically from 1997 to 1998. His career strikes me as more complicated than that. Not saying he's great, btw. He has had both real success and real failure. A lot of depends on the QB he has, obviously.

Dunno about that. 2002 in Oakland was what it was because of Gannon going down early and having to rely on Rick Mirer and Marques Tuiasosopo, and the AZ offense improved dramatically from 1997 to 1998. His career strikes me as more complicated than that. Not saying he's great, btw. He has had both real success and real failure. A lot of depends on the QB he has, obviously.

He was given a perennial top 10 QB and loaded offense at skill positions and couldn't put together a successful offense. What is the attraction? Soemthing he kind of succeeded at 12 years ago?

He was given a perennial top 10 QB and loaded offense at skill positions and couldn't put together a successful offense. What is the attraction? Soemthing he kind of succeeded at 12 years ago?

What are you referring to exactly? The Bears? They were second in points last season.

I don't think he's coming to Buffalo in any case, and I guess I'd characterize my feelings about him as mixed. It's certainly not either/or - death or glory though (too much of that on this board in any case). He's better than many, he has experience, and he's allegedly a good communicator. But he's overseen some bad offenses too.