receivers getting open

lifefan

I realize that the QB play has been poor. That's easy to see. But it seems that a big complaint of our receivers is that they have trouble getting free vs. tight man to man coverage. Why then do they just get in a formation and stay there until the snap? Isn't the idea of going in motion so your receivers can get into better match ups downfield? If we have trouble getting free off the line, why aren't we moving our receivers around pre-snap?

I realize that the QB play has been poor. That's easy to see. But it seems that a big complaint of our receivers is that they have trouble getting free vs. tight man to man coverage. Why then do they just get in a formation and stay there until the snap? Isn't the idea of going in motion so your receivers can get into better match ups downfield? If we have trouble getting free off the line, why aren't we moving our receivers around pre-snap?

because our Head coach and OC are clueless....

I'm experiencing full blown Beckham envy. Imagine having a true "generational receiver" plus a 1st round pick? Ahh...one can dream.

Who's to say that Sammy or any one of the other first round receivers this past draft are "generational". The difference between Beckham and Watkins is that they try to get the ball in OBJ's hands as much and as often in all phases of the field. When Sammy has a decent few catches in a game and he starts to get focused on by the opposing defense or even a safety rolled to his side, it appears as though he moves further down the list of Orton's options. Sure, he isn't open on some plays but all it takes is just to target him and see what happens - which should be the case with any teams number one wide-out.

Now I'm not advocating a complete gunslinger as our QB but anyone who has the attitude that a player with that much talent needs to be getting the football regardless, be that Orton, Manuel or whoever we have as our starter next season.

I've yet to see Sammy Watkins struggle against press man coverage all season. Nobody, from Revis to Haden and everybody in between has contained him off the LOS. It's uncanny, actually. No need to discuss our QB's inability to take advantage though.

GO BILLS!!!

I've yet to see Sammy Watkins struggle against press man coverage all season. Nobody, from Revis to Haden and everybody in between has contained him off the LOS. It's uncanny, actually. No need to discuss our QB's inability to take advantage though.

GO BILLS!!!

Or the coaches telling him that 90% of the time you see 1-1 press coverage against Sammy, you throw to him until we say otherwise.

People always want to look at things as black and white. It could be that the coaches and the QB equally suck. They have been bad for a long time. He has been atrocious for six weeks.

Or the coaches telling him that 90% of the time you see 1-1 press coverage against Sammy, you throw to him until we say otherwise.

People always want to look at things as black and white. It could be that the coaches and the QB equally suck. They have been bad for a long time. He has been atrocious for six weeks.

Except our QBs, even going back to last year when we had success with Goodwin especially, have always had the green light to exploit that coverage if they choose. Even with Tuel and Lewis at the helm. Given that, I find it hard to believe our coaches all of a sudden put the kibosh on that free reign. We've seen Orton attempt it a few times but with little success. The attempt to an open Watkins at the end of the half on Sunday being the latest such gaffe.

I think the offensive side of the ball is gonna get gutted in a couple weeks, anyway, regardless.

GO BILLS!!!

This thread begs to differ.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/174456-a-pictures-worth-1000-words/

Except our QBs, even going back to last year when we had success with Goodwin especially, have always had the green light to exploit that coverage if they choose. Even with Tuel and Lewis at the helm. Given that, I find it hard to believe our coaches all of a sudden put the kibosh on that free reign. We've seen Orton attempt it a few times but with little success. The attempt to an open Watkins at the end of the half on Sunday being the latest such gaffe.

I think the offensive side of the ball is gonna get gutted in a couple weeks, anyway, regardless.

GO BILLS!!!

I very much hope you are right, which you often are.

To me, the coaches had to get Goodwin involved in the game, too, and they just didn't. Goodwin going deep and telling the QB to just overthrow him is a valuable play. Marrone didn't put Goodwin on the field the last month.

No QB's have enough time to try anything down the field with this very offensive line. That's probably why we don't see longer pass plays to Watkins. A new QB is probably not a realistic option this offseason, as much as we want one. We should focus on upgrading the guards and getting a better OC and OL coach. I think that will help get Sammy more involved downfield.

No QB's have enough time to try anything down the field with this very offensive line. That's probably why we don't see longer pass plays to Watkins. A new QB is probably not a realistic option this offseason, as much as we want one. We should focus on upgrading the guards and getting a better OC and OL coach. I think that will help get Sammy more involved downfield.

The line isn't as steller but it is serviceable for throwing. Orton has a problem of predetermining where he's going to go 7-8 times out of 10 and sticks with it regardless. Could the line be better? You bet your behind it could! So could the QB play and offense as a whole. My only and major griper with the offensive line is the inability to get a push or generate anything remotely close to a run game.

I'm experiencing full blown Beckham envy. Imagine having a true "generational receiver" plus a 1st round pick? Ahh...one can dream.

Plug Watkins into that situation and I suspect his numbers will be comparable or better. Put Beckham on the Bills offense and he has a fraction of his current numbers. And further ... put Megotron on the Bills and he becomes the world's biggest decoy..

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

To me, the coaches had to get Goodwin involved in the game, too, and they just didn't. Goodwin going deep and telling the QB to just overthrow him is a valuable play. Marrone didn't put Goodwin on the field the last month.

I think Marrone simply lost confidence in Goodwin, who just can't stay healthy long enough to establish any kind of rhythm, whether in camp or in season. It's always something forcing him to miss time. Sooner or later your coaches move on and bring in other players like Thigpen for example while your reps in practice diminish as well.

GO BILLS!!!

I don't think this is unfair to say as it stands to reason and it sure looked like other teams figured that out as the season wore on. That puts a bigger onus on a QB to make a defense pay and the few times Orton was willing to exploit it, he couldn't make a good pass.

GO BILLS!!!

I think Marrone simply lost confidence in Goodwin, who just can't stay healthy long enough to establish any kind of rhythm, whether in camp or in season. It's always something forcing him to miss time. Sooner or later your coaches move on and bring in other players like Thigpen for example while your reps in practice diminish as well.

GO BILLS!!!

That doesn't mean it's right. Earlier in the year, someone from the Bills was pointing out that whenever Goodwin was in the game the other team was worried about him and paid attention to him if not automatically slid a safety over to him. You don't need much practice to put him in ten snaps. It was also Marrone's decision to put him back on KO which is where he got shaken up once or twice.

Too much sense

That doesn't mean it's right. Earlier in the year, someone from the Bills was pointing out that whenever Goodwin was in the game the other team was worried about him and paid attention to him if not automatically slid a safety over to him. You don't need much practice to put him in ten snaps. It was also Marrone's decision to put him back on KO which is where he got shaken up once or twice.

Right or not, it's understandable from my point of view. I haven't met too many coaches that have inexhaustible patience with guys that get injured as frequently as Goodwin manages to get hurt. Coaches just tend to move on from those players after a while. Doesn't make it right, just makes it common among coaches.

GO BILLS!!!

GO BILLS!!!

Keep sammy woods and Hogan.. cant believe I said Hogan. Lol. The line doesn't impress me. I think we should try EJ see what he has then move on if need be. But no one else do I need on this offense

Lol orton could actually learn the over throw from Manuel. That was the first thing coming out of TC was Manuel saying the only way to complete a pass to goodwin is to just throw it as far as you can and he will go get it.