Larry Felser

Buffalo Boy

I've been watching this team since '78. I've seen my share of the good and , lately, the bad. Listening to all these coach/QB apologists causes me to harken back to Mr. Larry Felser.

After Chuck Knox left, I used to hate Felser!!! Why couldn't he see that Dufek or Mathison or Feragamo weren't the problem. Why must he always take shots at Mr. Wilson, or coach Stephenson or Bullough. Larry just wasn't a Bill-iever and I hated him for it. Then I got a little older and I started to see the light.

It wasn't what I wanted, it was what I saw. That was the reality of the situation.

Larry would be pointing out this same idea today. Same old Bills!!! Give us false hope by winning a game they weren't supposed to(GB) while losing multiple games they shouldn't have. The one game then becoming lipstick on a pig. He would say something about it not mattering which QB was in: Orton running from Mack or EJ from Watt. Same offense, same team, same culture of losing, same coaching/different names.

As a middle aged man, today, if I had the pleasure of reading a fresh Felser column, I'd be nodding my head with a knowing smile and saying to myself; "Larry, you were right all along."

I've been watching this team since '78. I've seen my share of the good and , lately, the bad. Listening to all these coach/QB apologists causes me to harken back to Mr. Larry Felser.

After Chuck Knox left, I used to hate Felser!!! Why couldn't he see that Dufek or Mathison or Feragamo weren't the problem. Why must he always take shots at Mr. Wilson, or coach Stephenson or Bullough. Larry just wasn't a Bill-iever and I hated him for it. Then I got a little older and I started to see the light.

It wasn't what I wanted, it was what I saw. That was the reality of the situation.

Larry would be pointing out this same idea today. Same old Bills!!! Give us false hope by winning a game they weren't supposed to(GB) while losing multiple games they shouldn't have. The one game then becoming lipstick on a pig. He would say something about it not mattering which QB was in: Orton running from Mack or EJ from Watt. Same offense, same team, same culture of losing, same coaching/different names.

As a middle aged man, today, if I had the pleasure of reading a fresh Felser column, I'd be nodding my head with a knowing smile and saying to myself; "Larry, you were right all along."

remove all remnants of the failed previous regime. putting lipstick on a pig still leaves a pig. might work temporarily or partially but what's necessary is fundamental change because this organization remains fundamentally flawed.

it's a sinking, old boat with multiple leaks that from the beginning was poor quality. time for replacement, not repair.

Edited by birdog1960

I really did not even watch the game yesterday as it was easily seen that this team was going to be inept in a game they needed to win. The sad thing is that they did not even need to win it for the fans. They needed to win it for themselves to prove that a corner had been turned. I could have handled the Bills missing the playoffs if they won this game and the next. Missing the playoffs because they eliminate themselves from all possibility against a clearly weaker opponent is simply inexcusable.

To me the bottom line is that Marrone and Hackett both need to go. Marrone was brought in because he was supposed to be a great offensive mind. The results speak for themselves. I know he was impacted by EJ's lack of development but that is the NFL. The Bills went all in on EJ and the bet was a losing one.

I remain a fan of this team because of my love for the region. The Bills are a part of the fabric of WNY. It's simply sad to know that as an organization they remain clueless as to how to best get out of their own way. If Marrone really cared he would resign and move on. He is not NFL head coach material. His team lacks discipline and pride. The results of this were reflected on the scoreboard yesterday.

Larry would be pointing out this same idea today. Same old Bills!!! Give us false hope by winning a game they weren't supposed to(GB) while losing multiple games they shouldn't have.

I said almost the exact same thing in another post and it's so true. Good teams beat bad ones. It's why the Bills don't get national recognition as a true contender because good teams don't lose games they're supposed to win. Sunday played out as good as one could've hoped in terms of the playoffs, and the Bills once again showed they could not handle their business. It's frustrating, but when people ask why this team doesn't get national recognition, this type of game is exactly why.

They will continue to be the same old Bills until the new owners thoroughly clean house. Thoroughly. With the exception of a brief interlude in the nineties that occurred largely by accident, this organization has been a monument to incompetence. Marrone/Hackett/Whaley/Brandon all are remnants of a failed regime, a play not to lose culture that is always a step or two behind the best teams in the league, that goes "all in" on the wrong players, that always punts on 4th and short. As long as they are still around, they will be putting lipstick on the same pig, despite an occasional big win or "promising" 8-8 season.

Edited by mannc

They will continue to be the same old Bills until the new owners thoroughly clean house. Thoroughly. With the exception of a brief interlude in the nineties that occurred largely by accident, this organization has been a monument to incompetence. Marrone/Hackett/Whaley/Brandon all are remnants of a failed regime, a play not to lose culture that is always a step or two behind the best teams in the league, that goes "all in" on the wrong players, that always punts on 4th and short. As long as they are still around, they will be putting lipstick on the same pig, despite an occasional big win or "promising" 8-8 season.

Need better football people at all levels of management in order to identify the right players. Somehow Whaley is escaping criticism, but it's his responsibility to build a better OL and not be in July/August looking for a veteran backup QB.

If they haven't figured out how to win by now...then there aren't any excuses left.

to me, the QB situation is like a microcosm of the whole franchise and how its run.

They were actually planning on going into this season with EJ, Thad and Tuel. This is because they did not want to provide the Schopps and Bulldogs and fans of the world any kindling for any sort of start _____ over _________. Then when it became obvious all 3 choices would result in a disastrous season that would result in sweeping firings, they made the only move left at the time and that was Orton. Fitzpatrick was protected while he was the starter, as was Edwards. They wont/didnt draft any QBs or bring anyone capable in because they dont want to upset the apple cart. Now we are stuck with no QB, and no 1st round pick.

Same thing with management. When the fans get past a critical point of discontent, they always pin the blame on the patsy coach they have brought in as if he is some sort of outside force that ruined the team. They also used up the Modrak/Guy cards. Management takes one step to the left, and the results remain the same. Bad decisions become "Chan's guy" or "Jauron's pick" while the few good decisions are sold off as the brainchildren of the guys still in charge.

Its all about preservation of Ralph's inner circle and not winning.

bottom line no team follows a coach who is not a leader, sad truth leaders are born and not made, all the talent in the world will not change the fact that a poor leader leads poorly, problems with the Bill's start at the top not the bottom

Fesser like it or not was never afraid to call it as he saw it

Edited by rumblefish