Is it late enough in the season that we can scrap the DL rotation?

YoloinOhio

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

the irony being that in the NE game we gave up a long drive to put the game out of reach with the starters on the bench resting with 5 minutes to go in the 4th.

yea, more energy can be good. on the flip side, an extra series or two might not negatively impact 4Q ability any given game and extra reps can also be more time to beat up the guy across from you, pick up on mistakes hes making etc.... more reps doesnt always equate to worse play. over the course of a season its nice to keep them fresh but at this point i think its fair to run them a little extra with those fresh legs.

Perhaps I'm mis-remembering, but didn't Jeremy White or one of those other guys that does the All-22 analysis say that the starters didn't miss the entire NE* drive but only the early part of it?

GO BILLS!!!

Interesting - I just looked at week 14 snap counts and Mario was on 95% of snaps in Denver. Dareus 75% Kyle 75% and we know about Hughes.

so it sounds like he is already letting them stretch the legs a bit extra. or maybe it was compensating for hughes situation. what site are you pulling from? id be curious to see the trends as its stuck out a few times.

Edited by NoSaint

Perhaps I'm mis-remembering, but didn't Jeremy White or one of those other guys that does the All-22 analysis say that the starters didn't miss the entire NE* drive but only the early part of it?

GO BILLS!!!

possible. id still have to counter with, down 8 with 6 minutes to go - do you pull mario and hughes off the field for any of that drive?

in october its a tough pill to swallow -- week 17 id be very upset. i dont think itll be the case though, as i think schwartz will adjust, just like the earlier pitch count comment and start throwing his stars a little deeper in the games and 3 days rest occassionally (contrary to the many dont change anything posts).

Hughes got 95% in week 15.

he seemed to be the last guy left in most of the time last week, when i noticed it. the 2 DTs seemed to rotate out together a fair number, and sometimes mario with them.

So basically half the time we had a backup in at one of the tackle positions. Not too bad really

on atleast 2-3 drives it was 2 backups at DT, meaning we also had both starters in together for extra snaps. the tradeoff i mentioned earlier as an interesting discussion.

possible. id still have to counter with, down 8 with 6 minutes to go - do you pull mario and hughes off the field for any of that drive?

in october its a tough pill to swallow -- week 17 id be very upset. i dont think itll be the case though, as i think schwartz will adjust, just like the earlier pitch count comment and start throwing his stars a little deeper in the games and 3 days rest occassionally (contrary to the many dont change anything posts).

he seemed to be the last guy left in most of the time last week, when i noticed it. the 2 DTs seemed to rotate out together a fair number, and sometimes mario with them.

on atleast 2-3 drives it was 2 backups at DT, meaning we also had both starters in together for extra snaps. the tradeoff i mentioned earlier as an interesting discussion.

So basically half the time we had a backup in at one of the tackle positions. Not too bad really

Thinking about Denver, they ran the ball so much I think that's why Mario was in there. Week 15 snap counts not out yet, but will be interesting to see.

I could see the case for a few plays at the start of the drive if our offense just had a three and out on the heels of a previous long possession by the Pats*. We didn't have a single defensive stop the entire 2nd half of that game and I'm just assuming that, as usual, our offense didn't do much to help.

I'd have to look again, but I don't seem to recall a lot of snaps when both Mario and Hughes are BOTH off the field in those rotations. Except of course when Hughes was made to sit for other reasons.

GO BILLS!!!

Thinking about Denver, they ran the ball so much I think that's why Mario was in there. Week 15 snap counts not out yet, but will be interesting to see.

plus, for half the game we were down a starting DE by choice. you dont get to rotate as much with fewer bodies.

I could see the case for a few plays at the start of the drive if our offense just had a three and out on the heels of a previous long possession by the Pats*. We didn't have a single defensive stop the entire 2nd half of that game and I'm just assuming that, as usual, our offense didn't do much to help.

I'd have to look again, but I don't seem to recall a lot of snaps when both Mario and Hughes are BOTH off the field in those rotations. Except of course when Hughes was made to sit for other reasons.

GO BILLS!!!

in that drive we were coming off an 8 play 80 yard drive to pull within the 8 points. so it wasnt like a 3 and out. NE did have a LONG 12 play 80 yard drive before that, but we managed to string together a 6 play drive that had the change in quarter in the middle right before that long drive. so its not like they were getting chewed up beyond belief. the other 3 drives in the 3rd quarter were a pair of 6 play ones by NE and us with a 13 play drive. the offense actually did well to protect the defense that half.

NE started that drive at the 7 -- it wouldve been huge if we couldve stopped them and had decent field position to start the drive down 8 with about 4 minutes to go. i was amazed to see lawson and wynn on the field.

Edited by NoSaint

I've noticed that when the backup DTs/Des are in the game, the other team really takes advantage and can run the ball with success. They seem vulnerable and maybe that's a result of Jarius Wynn being hurt. I don't now. I know that the idea was to keep the top guys fresh for the whole season and avoid injuries, and for the most part I can't really disagree with the strategy. But now that we are down to two (extemely important) games, I wonder if it is time to just play Mario-KW-Dareus-Hughes on the majority of any meaningful snaps. It is extremely obvious the difference when Mario is not playing with the run game. Thoughts? Or is this the best way to go - I know the defense is not our biggest concern at the moment.

ummm it aint broke - don't fix it if !!!

plus, for half the game we were down a starting DE by choice. you dont get to rotate as much with fewer bodies.

in that drive we were coming off an 8 play 80 yard drive to pull within the 8 points. so it wasnt like a 3 and out. NE did have a LONG 12 play 80 yard drive before that, but we managed to string together a 6 play drive that had the change in quarter in the middle right before that long drive. so its not like they were getting chewed up beyond belief. the other 3 drives in the 3rd quarter were a pair of 6 play ones by NE and us with a 13 play drive. the offense actually did well to protect the defense that half.

NE started that drive at the 7 -- it wouldve been huge if we couldve stopped them and had decent field position to start the drive down 8 with about 4 minutes to go. i was amazed to see lawson and wynn on the field.

Thanks for taking the time to dig up the numbers. Absent any other reasons, it seems like nothing more than keeping their strict commitment to play counts in that game.

GO BILLS!!!

Thanks for taking the time to dig up the numbers. Absent any other reasons, it seems like nothing more than keeping their strict commitment to play counts in that game.

GO BILLS!!!

im pretty sure thats all it was. im guessing they will be a little less strict when we see them week 17 (assuming it still matters). the big guys in the middle will still need air often. im curious to keep watching how often its both vs just one as i havent had an eye on it long.

Edited by NoSaint

Yeah, defence is our problem.

not sure what you inferring about the question. Yes, it is a problem that teams are able to attack that weakness and can be a bigger problem going fwd when coaches see that on film. Is it our biggest concern? No, but I don't believe we need to ignore it just because it doesn't involve blaming Hackett, Marrone, orton or the refs.