Free Kick After Safety

Just talking here at work with a few others, trying to figure out what the rules are exactly on the free kick after the safety with regards to an onsides attempt. Normally after a safety, teams always punt it, but don't recall an on-sides attempt ever coming into play at the same time. I believe teams could kick off the Tee after a safety on the "free" kick, but never do as they get more hang time off the punt so smarter play. In this case, I'm wondering why though they didn't kick off the tee as more experience attewmpting on-sides kicks off a normal kickoff from a tee.

In this case it ended up a rather feable attempt coming of fthe punt.

Anyone know the specifics around the rules on that??

Official NFL Rule--not allowed to use a tee...

Kicking a Safety

• In addition to a kickoff, the other free kick is a kick after a safety (safety kick). A punt may be used (a punt may not be used on a kickoff).
  • On a safety kick, the team scored upon puts ball in play by a punt, dropkick, or placekick without tee. No score can be made on a free kick following a safety, even if a series of penalties places team in position. (A field goal can be scored only on a play from scrimmage or a free kick after a fair catch.)

Just talking here at work with a few others, trying to figure out what the rules are exactly on the free kick after the safety with regards to an onsides attempt. Normally after a safety, teams always punt it, but don't recall an on-sides attempt ever coming into play at the same time. I believe teams could kick off the Tee after a safety on the "free" kick, but never do as they get more hang time off the punt so smarter play. In this case, I'm wondering why though they didn't kick off the tee as more experience attewmpting on-sides kicks off a normal kickoff from a tee.

In this case it ended up a rather feable attempt coming of fthe punt.

Anyone know the specifics around the rules on that??

Actually, you are not allowed to use a T so it's more like a Field Goal than a kick-off. That is why they punt because you can kick it off a T much farther than you can a field goal attempt when the ball is on the ground.

Edit - Dude above beat me to it!

Edited by Mark80

In the end, it cost us yards. That said, playmakers want to make plays and he surely thought he could run it back further or take it to the house. In a game like yesterday, I'm for it- need everything you can get.

looked more to me like he didn't know what to do...almost as if he thought it was like a punt...that where the ball died is where it would be spotted. Little things like that get me pissed...think we as fans sometimes know the rules better than the guys on the field, especially special teamers.

Guess i will put this here...was I the only guy pissed AW picked up that blocked field goal?

Think it cost us about 12 yards of field position, and all i could see was Lett in the snow

he almost seemed surprised that he had it - like a small wait what have i done. maybe im misremembering but i thought it amusing at the time.

looked more to me like he didn't know what to do...almost as if he thought it was like a punt...that where the ball died is where it would be spotted. Little things like that get me pissed...think we as fans sometimes know the rules better than the guys on the field, especially special teamers.

yea that is how it felt to me too -- if its the case, its the kind of moment that i think has driven fans crazy with crossman at some other stops. some of the field/game awareness stuff lacks. physically we are a force this year though.

Guess i will put this here...was I the only guy pissed AW picked up that blocked field goal?

Think it cost us about 12 yards of field position, and all i could see was Lett in the snow

Absolutely not pissed at all. Players on the field goal kicking team are big and slow blockers for the most part. They are not used to running down a defensive back in the open field. He could have easily taken it to the house...Remember Auburn vs Alabama last year when that dude ran through the field goal kicking team for 109 yards and the game winning touchdown? They looked like idiots trying to tackle him.

Or think of how many missed tackles and big plays you see on interceptions? And those have WRs and RBs out there who can actually run fast.

Edited by Mark80

Absolutely not pissed at all. Players on the field goal kicking team are big and slow blockers for the most part. They are not used to running down a defensive back in the open field. He could have easily taken it to the house...Remember Auburn vs Alabama last year when that dude ran through the field goal kicking team for 109 yards and the game winning touchdown? They looked like idiots trying to tackle him.

Or think of how many missed tackles and big plays you see on interceptions? And those have WRs and RBs out there who can actually run fast.

I guess i just remember Lett flopping around in the snow giving the Dolphins the game.

I see your point too...