Orton may not be great, but ...

dave mcbride

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Orton is a bridge. A bridge to Manuel? Not sure. A few upgrades on the O-Line and keep the D intact we can be a playoff team, 10-6 type of team with Orton. Will have trouble beating teams with good D and great O. That is the first step, the playoffs. After that we have to win in the playoffs and Orton is not the QB to do that. So my question is who does he bridge to and how long will it be?

You would think our playoff drought would lower our standards. Instead they are more unrealistic than ever.

Why should we have to have lower standards than any other team? Shouldn't we want to find/develop a QB that can lead the Bills to a championship rather than constantly defending guys who have proven over decades that they are mediocre at best(Fitz/Orton)? Should we celebrate an 8-8 season or be disappointed that the QB that was supposed to "give us a better chance to win" actually didn't (as many here predicted he wouldn't)? This is another wasted year. Orton is not the answer, he's a backup. That was proven years ago and should not have been up to date. If the coaches and Front office felt EJ was not going to develop, they should have gone out and found a better option, even if that was just bringing in another young QB to try to develop.

So, No, our playoff drought has not lowered my standards. Getting to the playoffs and getting killed in the Wild card round would be an improvement but still not good enough. I want the Pegula's to build a championship.

Well , that is the dilemma for the nfl gms like ours, secretly dumpster diving , hoping for a Drew brees midget behind a religious nut with 20 kids.. The reality as they look for intel on the guys buried on the depth chart and those banished to the Siberian cfl is they all have serious issues. If you didn't suck for luck pay for the perpetual bridesmaid of Peyton or even try coddle the future second coming of Jeff George in Cutler, you have to hold onto the kitty while you pray Ej grows a pair when you accidentally slip him shrooms over the summer when happens to luck into saving Kelly and a group from the old folks home from certain death ..

Every year ten experiments fail and one or two succeed as each little country sends out their spies for any competent leader ..it's as twisted as game of thrones ..

I cant wait for the Blanda 6 million dollar arm project .. Jim, we can rebuild him .

Yes, you have to hold onto the kitty until anyone else takes the reins and pray our second round pick has high learning curve and can actually think and throw or you can cure the cutler cancer etc.. It sucks . Any other position would be on the bench after that exercise in self preservation .. Maybe inject him with jack before any big game and... His balls grew three times they said, after the game.

Even Elway had to fall to get to the promised land by not tryin to do it all himself and hand the ball off, it's slways something . I hope orton isn't yellow and proves everyone wrong. Is it that hard to play qb or does the position draw the wrong type of guys to be successful these day or are they just rushing all these kids and ruining them .. The exception if the latter is true plays Sunday after three years saying yes I'm am better than arrogant prick and I won't throw that pick six.

I think Orton is a bridge. A bridge to Manuel? Not sure. A few upgrades on the O-Line and keep the D intact we can be a playoff team, 10-6 type of team with Orton. Will have trouble beating teams with good D and great O. That is the first step, the playoffs. After that we have to win in the playoffs and Orton is not the QB to do that. So my question is who does he bridge to and how long will it be?

Seems as if he's a 'London Bridge' for Marrone & Whaley...

Forgive him. He's suffering from BBFS that causes him to celebrate and defend mediocrity.

You're not really understanding my point. GMs and coaches are in the business of keeping their jobs. Shaun Hill does not get you to 9-7 ever. Nor does Geno Smith. Orton can, and he might just save your job. You think Rex Ryan doesn't want Orton on his team?

Josh McCown has a 2 year deal for $10 million, and the cap is going up next year. Orton is measurably better than McCown (look up the stats).

All I ask is that you don't turn this into a thread in which you claim that the OP is claiming that Orton is some sort of savior. That's completely misconstruing my point, which is that there is a serious talent shortage at the QB position in the league and that competitive teams are an injury away from declining from 11-5 or 10-6 to 5-11 or 6-10. It's supply and demand, and there's a ton of money floating around for decent QBs.

Edited by dave mcbride

This is not a young team anymore....at some point you make your choices and run with it.

MOST Rookie QB's are at least 3 years away

RIGHT NOW....I stick with Orton but I want that 3rd option.

--

Edited by HOUSE

You're not really understanding my point. GMs and coaches are in the business of keeping their jobs. Shaun Hill does not get you to 9-7 ever. Nor does Geno Smith. Orton can, and he might just save your job. You think Rex Ryan doesn't want Orton on his team?

Josh McCown has a 2 year deal for $10 million, and the cap is going up next year. Orton is measurably better than McCown (look up the stats).

All I ask is that you don't turn this into a thread in which you claim that the OP is claiming that Orton is some sort of savior. That's completely misconstruing my point, which is that there is a serious talent shortage at the QB position in the league and that competitive teams are an injury away from declining from 11-5 or 10-6 to 5-11 or 6-10. It's supply and demand, and there's a ton of money floating around for decent QBs.

I understand your point perfectly and that's why i said Orton is a darn good backup QB. He has an option that he can exercise for next season that will compensate him very well for exactly what he is.

Orton was brought in to be the back up to the supposed franchise, #1 pick QB, and yet if you just go by QBR, and not yards he is 17th, and slightly behind Jay Cutler, Alex Smith. While ahead of Matthew Stafford, Eli Manning, Mark Sanchez. Then the guy is playing better then Colin Kaepernick, Cam Newton, Andy Dalton, Brian Hoyer.

Its tough to soar like an Eagle....

Edited by FeartheLosing

I understand your point perfectly and that's why i said Orton is a darn good backup QB. He has an option that he can exercise for next season that will compensate him very well for exactly what he is.

Then I don't understand why you are jumping on me for my post. All I was saying is that folks demand instant success with players during this extended drought. And if a player is an improvement but not enough to make us a playoff contender he is still considered garbage to be thrown out. Am I wrong here?

Fitz was a reasonable if not flawed QB we wanted run out of town. We had to punish him for not being great. So he's gone and now we have Orton. Do we run him out of town too? Or do we maintain some stability at QB while we look for the next improvement, be it EJ, a FA, or a new draftee?

Edited by PromoTheRobot