Start EJ

tuckan

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EJ is not an NFL caliber, starting QB. People just forget how absurdly below average he was. He could not hit a guy, in stride over the middle of the field beyond 10 yards. Is it possible he could improve this offseason? sure. but as of today he is not the best option to beating the Green Bay Packers. I can't believe how many people are clamoring to see him play. EJ could throw 57 times each week and still not get a 300 yard game. As mediocre as Orton is, at least he can make some decent throws. He's not the answer either though.

He can't make this throw?

http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/EJ-Manuel-to-Sammy-Watkins-for-30-yards/86292ce0-3a7b-402f-81be-c17c9ad3d513

Or are we saying he can't make this throw?

Or maybe he can't make this throw?

http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/Week_2_Miami_Dolphins_vs_Buffalo_Bills_highlights/21ff68b4-6df8-4209-bb21-b19aabcee183 (33 seconds in).

There are real things to complain about with his play, but let's not pretend the guy can't make NFL throws. It's just silly.

He can't make this throw?

http://www.buffalobi...be-c17c9ad3d513

Or are we saying he can't make this throw?

Or maybe he can't make this throw?

http://www.buffalobi...21-b19aabcee183 (33 seconds in).

There are real things to complain about with his play, but let's not pretend the guy can't make NFL throws. It's just silly.

Some people have a hard on to be right on a message board. They said EJ sucks, so they can't back off now. I'm not a fan of Orton as starter (because I have 9 years of evidence of him being a bad one), but I would have loved to be wrong. The EJ sucks camp would EJ suck than be forced to admit they were wrong.

And obviously EJ would have been a much better QB if he had 4 more yards against the #2 defense in the NFL last year, the Panthers. 296 is so much worse than 300 yards.

@mikerodak

Doug Marrone asked if being eliminated would change Orton as starter. "No, not for me, but maybe for someone else."

He is quickly becoming my least favorite coach in team history.

He acts like he's Lombardi when his resume is closer to Kottie.

What does this mean? Why even say it unless Whaley/Russ/someone else is putting pressure on him to play EJ?

Don't read too much into it. It means there may be members of the media or some fans who will call for EJ to start.

It leaves quite a bit to the imagination. I'm sure he did not elaborate if there was a followup question.

That's reads like a shot across the bow of the fans and perhaps Whaley, IMO. And if it is towards Whaley, Marrone should know better. Like Mike Williams can't win a public battle with his coaches, I don't think Marrone can win a public battle with his GM.

I'm on record as saying it does nothing to further EJ's development to start him in meaningless, run for the bus games to mop up the season. I'm glad his coach is on board with that. I HOPE Whaley is, too.

GO BILLS!!!

Don't read too much into it. It means there may be members of the media or some fans who will call for EJ to start.

^This. I forgot to include the media in my post above.

GO BILLS!!!

That's reads like a shot across the bow of the fans and perhaps Whaley, IMO. And if it is towards Whaley, Marrone should know better. Like Mike Williams can't win a public battle with his coaches, I don't think Marrone can win a public battle with his GM.

I'm on record as saying it does nothing to further EJ's development to start him in meaningless, run for the bus games to mop up the season. I'm glad his coach is on board with that. I HOPE Whaley is, too.

GO BILLS!!!

^This. I forgot to include the media in my post above.

GO BILLS!!!

I get what you're saying but he might be learning more bad than good from Orton. He has been painful to watch. He crumbles in the pocket, does not fight for first downs, and yells at wrs when he has been awful all game.

That article reinforces my belief that EJ needed someone around in his rookie year (a veteran mentor) to teach him how to be a professional. You can have a great attitude, work hard, and be a good teammate, and feel justified in thinking that you're doing everything in your power to be a good QB. All the while, there's probably many things that you aren't doing, and wouldn't know that you're not doing without someone to show you. Running meetings instead of simply participating, telling the OC what plays/looks/etc you like versus trying to make everything work.

If EJ really can absorb those things and put them into practice, it'll do nothing but increase his chances of being successful the next chance he gets (and he will get one--here or someplace else).

I get what you're saying but he might be learning more bad than good from Orton. He has been painful to watch. He crumbles in the pocket, does not fight for first downs, and yells at wrs when he has been awful all game.

I'm not worried about EJ observing Orton making bad plays; there's value in that too, I think. The more important stuff for Manuel, as Woods alluded to, is the stuff away from the field like EJ coming in at 6:00am to study and demanding his receivers do the same, etc.

I also have no problem with Orton yelling at receivers when they deserve it; EJ will need to correct them on the field as well, from time to time. I'd hope he wouldn't shy away from that just because he's having a bad game, too. And that brings me to what I dislike most about EJ: when he DOES play poorly he doesn't take ownership. I need him to own it. I need his teammates to hear him say that when HE plays better, EVERYONE will play better; that HE needs to take this team to the next level; that it starts with HIM. He starts doing that, his receivers will be more open to his criticism during games.

GO BILLS!!!

That article reinforces my belief that EJ needed someone around in his rookie year (a veteran mentor) to teach him how to be a professional. You can have a great attitude, work hard, and be a good teammate, and feel justified in thinking that you're doing everything in your power to be a good QB. All the while, there's probably many things that you aren't doing, and wouldn't know that you're not doing without someone to show you. Running meetings instead of simply participating, telling the OC what plays/looks/etc you like versus trying to make everything work.

If EJ really can absorb those things and put them into practice, it'll do nothing but increase his chances of being successful the next chance he gets (and he will get one--here or someplace else).

This was my argument all along. He needed some guidance and he was not getting that from Hackett, Hackett may not have even known what he needed EJ to do. I think the whole experience will make EJ better when he gets his chance.

I'm not worried about EJ observing Orton making bad plays; there's value in that too, I think. The more important stuff for Manuel, as Woods alluded to, is the stuff away from the field like EJ coming in at 6:00am to study and demanding his receivers do the same, etc.

I also have no problem with Orton yelling at receivers when they deserve it; EJ will need to correct them on the field as well, from time to time. I'd hope he wouldn't shy away from that just because he's having a bad game, too. And that brings me to what I dislike most about EJ: when he DOES play poorly he doesn't take ownership. I need him to own it. I need his teammates to hear him say that when HE plays better, EVERYONE will play better; that HE needs to take this team to the next level; that it starts with HIM. He starts doing that, his receivers will be more open to his criticism during games.

GO BILLS!!!

Good post as usual K-9. I was more referring to Orton yelling at Goodwin in the Denver after his slide and terrible play.

@mikerodak

Doug Marrone asked if being eliminated would change Orton as starter. "No, not for me, but maybe for someone else."

Within the last couple of weeks, the greatest question of all has become what can the Bills do to get a QB who can take them to the playoffs in 2015. This point is undisputed, right?

The right move is to start EJ, throw out the conservative game plans and let EJ throw the ball downfield a LOT. They should also give him free reign to run with the ball when the field opens up.

What if he throws 5, 6 or 7 interceptions? Well then, that is an answer solidifying the Bills need to bring in another QB not named Kyle Orton. No harm done because they are not making the playoffs anyway!

What if he throws 6 TDs in his last two games?...as remote a possibility as many here feel that may be, they did pick him 14th overall. Doesn't the Bills organization, the team and their fans deserve to see if EJ Manuel can handle a franchise QB level game plan given that those last two games have no playoff ramifications?

If they lose to the Packers, I hope that Marrone and Hackett are fired and Schwartz is made interim HC so that EJ Manuel is allowed too start and throw the ball 80 times (half of them deep balls) the last two games.

Within the last couple of weeks, the greatest question of all has become what can the Bills do to get a QB who can take them to the playoffs in 2015. This point is undisputed, right?

The right move is to start EJ, throw out the conservative game plans and let EJ throw the ball downfield a LOT. They should also give him free reign to run with the ball when the field opens up.

What if he throws 5, 6 or 7 interceptions? Well then, that is an answer solidifying the Bills need to bring in another QB not named Kyle Orton. No harm done because they are not making the playoffs anyway!

What if he throws 6 TDs in his last two games?...as remote a possibility as many here feel that may be, they did pick him 14th overall. Doesn't the Bills organization, the team and their fans deserve to see if EJ Manuel can handle a franchise QB level game plan given that those last two games have no playoff ramifications?

If they lose to the Packers, I hope that Marrone and Hackett are fired and Schwartz is made interim HC so that EJ Manuel is allowed too start and throw the ball 80 times (half of them deep balls) the last two games.

If Marrone plays EJ and he plays well, he would look terrible. Marrone doesn't care about next year. He is worried about this year. He will blame EJ and Orton for his failures. And the fans are going to be the ones who are suffering.

Good post as usual K-9. I was more referring to Orton yelling at Goodwin in the Denver after his slide and terrible play.

Contrast Orton's camel-toe slide to EJ risking injury when he cut back inside vs. Cleveland last year. I think Manuel sells out in that instance. I think Orton lacks the balls to the wall passion at this stage.

As for Goodwin, I agree with Orton. Most of the time those one second shots of a QB yelling at his receiver get overblown anyway but, like Kelly used to get in Andre's grill, sometimes you have to let receivers know about wrong routes in a game. Ironically, QBs that do that are serving the best interests of the receiver as well.

GO BILLS!!!

If Marrone plays EJ and he plays well, he would look terrible. Marrone doesn't care about next year. He is worried about this year. He will blame EJ and Orton for his failures. And the fans are going to be the ones who are suffering.

Again, to be fair, the most outside of observers is going to pin this season squarely on the poor play out of our QB position. I would hope Marrone doesn't do it in any manner of throwing them under the bus, but he will just be being honest when he says we needed better QB play this year. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

GO BILLS!!!

Marrone is gone if he loses to the Packers and he knows it. He's just going to be a petulant child and take his ball and go home (starting Orton).

That's why he needs to be fired if they lose to the Packers and Orton sucks again. The Bills can be honest and say that the organization and Marrone had come to a crossroads and there was no turning back. Kyle Orton's play has been abysmal, they used a very high pick on EJ Manuel and they want to see him start the last two games because this team has extremely crucial decisions to make at the QB position.

Edited by 1billsfan

Why would he look terrible? He can say that EJ learned what he need to learn from his time behind Orton ...no?