Obesity: Timing may be everything

http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-prevent-reverse-obesity-fasting-20141203-story.html

"The idea that timing one's food consumption to maximize health is hardly new. Nutritionists have, until recently, insisted that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. But as research mounts on the ill effects of shift work and of chronic sleep deprivation, the idea that our cells also adhere to a sleep-wake cycle, and process fuel differently at different times of the day, has gained scientific currency. That, in turn, is prompting scientific interest in the notion that when we eat affects our well being as much as what we eat."

Good study; very poorly worded headline/thesis.

Timing is 100% irrelevant. The crux of the study is that intermittent feeding periods bound by extended fasts promote blood sugar stability, nutrient uptake, appetite control, and metabolic upregulation.

It's far more about feeding patterns than meal timing.

Still a good study though. I typically eat 2 meals per day within a 6-hour period and fast the rest of the time (save for water and coffee). Easiest way I've ever encountered to control body composition.

Obesity is pretty simple in most cases.

Calories in > calories burned

If you want to lose weight, it's also pretty simple.

Calories in < calories burned

No excuses.

http://www.cnn.com/2...diet.professor/

yeah, pretty much. Time of the day and all that stuff is not important as long as you meet that premise. You can streamline it a bit with some exercise and protein-carb rations, but its really about the calories.

yeah, pretty much. Time of the day and all that stuff is not important as long as you meet that premise. You can streamline it a bit with some exercise and protein-carb rations, but its really about the calories.

In a general sense, absolutely, yes.

I tell my trainees that quality of calories matters too though...the body (as I'm confident you now) processes different materials in different ways and at different rates.

For example, 100 calories of berries versus 100 calories of cotton candy will not be processed (or absorbed, for that matter) the same way, even though they're both basically 100% carbs. In an isolated feeding, that is of trivial importance; on a chronic basis, it's very important.

That's why I usually advise my folks to keep it simple. Eat whole foods. Cuts of meat instead of cold cuts. Fresh and frozen fruits/veggies over supplements. Whole eggs. Whole fat sources like avocados, olives, nuts, coconuts, seeds instead of industrial seed oils.

Just makes it so much easier to control calories and maintain high quality that way.

I find it helpful having worked swing shift for almost 25 years. I shift evry week from 1st to 2nd to 3rds and then back to 1st. As I get older I need to cut more and more calories and still somehow find the energy to stay up... I will go days with out sleeping or just grabbing an hour here or hour there... Sleeping when I can, eating when I can. It was here on the board that I just recently learned to reset my circadian clock by fasting 16-24 hours. That's been working well as I tweek that to my body and what it needs.

I guess it is good that I don't smoke, dip, or drink (outside of a few here and there)! I guess that would make it get ugly real fast! ;)

I've had low blood sugar for 30 years or so. When I'm hungry, I can't even think much less get real work done.

But, my question is - why is it that if I don't eat in the morning, I don't really have this problem. I can go a long time without eating.............Bu, if I do eat - holy crap, I have to eat something every few hours or I'm a space cadet.

But, I know I'm supposed to eat in the morning!

I've had low blood sugar for 30 years or so. When I'm hungry, I can't even think much less get real work done.

But, my question is - why is it that if I don't eat in the morning, I don't really have this problem. I can go a long time without eating.............Bu, if I do eat - holy crap, I have to eat something every few hours or I'm a space cadet.

Yeah. I am usually not hungry while working.

When is "morning?" When you wake?

I never really checked my blood sugar, always assumed it was good. How do you know if it isn't?

There is an absolutely outstanding article by Martin berkhan on the subject. Just Google "berkhan why does breakfast make me hungry?"

Short answer: because fasting promotes more stable blood sugar than more frequent meal timing does. It forces your body to use stored fat as fuel and therefore prevents grehlin levels from rising upon metabolism of ingested foods.

Also, you're not "supposed" to eat in the morning. There's absolutely no biological need to do so; eat when it suits you. If you're like me, and you can better control your hunger by skippin breakfast, do it. It will have ZERO negative effect on your metabolism; in fact most research indicates that metabolism increases during short-term (12-48 hour) fasting.

Hope this helps; if you have any other questions feel free to post here or PM me.

There is an absolutely outstanding article by Martin berkhan on the subject. Just Google "berkhan why does breakfast make me hungry?"

Short answer: because fasting promotes more stable blood sugar than more frequent meal timing does. It forces your body to use stored fat as fuel and therefore prevents grehlin levels from rising upon metabolism of ingested foods.

Also, you're not "supposed" to eat in the morning. There's absolutely no biological need to do so; eat when it suits you. If you're like me, and you can better control your hunger by skippin breakfast, do it. It will have ZERO negative effect on your metabolism; in fact most research indicates that metabolism increases during short-term (12-48 hour) fasting.

Hope this helps; if you have any other questions feel free to post here or PM me.

Thanks bandit!

Wow - great stuff! Thank you!!

Yeah. I am usually not hungry while working.

When is "morning?" When you wake?

I never really checked my blood sugar, always assumed it was good. How do you know if it isn't?

Don't worry - you'd know if you had a problem!

Good study; very poorly worded headline/thesis.

Timing is 100% irrelevant. The crux of the study is that intermittent feeding periods bound by extended fasts promote blood sugar stability, nutrient uptake, appetite control, and metabolic upregulation.

It's far more about feeding patterns than meal timing.

Still a good study though. I typically eat 2 meals per day within a 6-hour period and fast the rest of the time (save for water and coffee). Easiest way I've ever encountered to control body composition.

I'm doing the same thing, but I do it with breakfast and lunch. Most intermittent fasting is prescribed as skip breakfast and eat lunch and dinner. I work second shift and find that eating B+L works better for me. I also eat in an 8hr period and find that this keeps the hunger at bay better.

Obesity is pretty simple in most cases.

Calories in > calories burned

If you want to lose weight, it's also pretty simple.

Calories in < calories burned

No excuses.

http://www.cnn.com/2...diet.professor/

It's not that simple

Sugar and refined carbs play a huge role in obesity. You can eat way more calories on a Paleo diet than a typical American diet.

I am the first to admit I am fat. Have talked to my doctor all the time. Feels being on third shift and running the business during the day gives me no chance of dropping the weight because my body has no set patteren Need a set sleep time and feels that the Mediterranean diet would be best for me. My blood sugar readings almost always under 100. Highest reading ever 109. Planning on retirement soon so being off 3rd shift should help a lot. Over the years at GE I have seen a lot of people gain weight on 3rd. When they get on days they seem to drop the extra pounds. When on vacation almost always drop pounds. When I shed a hundred lbs I will have to get a tummy tuck and a boob lift.

It's not that simple

Sugar and refined carbs play a huge role in obesity. You can eat way more calories on a Paleo diet than a typical American diet.

While not all calories are created equal, that last sentence is incorrect.

If a person consumes more calories than they burn, they'll gain weight. It's the law of energy balance.

The reason paleo works is that whole goods are generally more satiating than processed foods, which results in fewer calories consumed (in general). If a person eats over their maintenance, there will be some fat gain for sure, as dietary fat will be socked away as adipose tissue given the body's preference of that pathway over de novo lipogenisis.

Now, if we're talking long-term health and proclivity for a set of dietary habits to result in weight gain, then yes, it's entirely possible for low grade food choices to result in weight gain even without a signifiact caloric surplus, but that's more due to insulin resistance than calories.

If a person consumes more calories than they burn, they'll gain weight. It's the law of energy balance.

The reason paleo works is that whole goods are generally more satiating than processed foods, which results in fewer calories consumed (in general). If a person eats over their maintenance, there will be some fat gain for sure, as dietary fat will be socked away as adipose tissue given the body's preference of that pathway over de novo lipogenisis.

Now, if we're talking long-term health and proclivity for a set of dietary habits to result in weight gain, then yes, it's entirely possible for low grade food choices to result in weight gain even without a signifiact caloric surplus, but that's more due to insulin resistance than calories.

Sometimes just due to sheer volume. Nice little trick there that I like to use. Jam a wrap full of spinach and mixed greens with some lean protein. Gets you that nice comforting I'm totally full feeling without the calorie intake of a burrito or burger.

didn't say you could eat more calories than one can burn just that one can eat more good food versus processed food.

didn't say you could eat more calories than one can burn just that one can eat more good food versus processed food.

Are you talking about food volume or calories? Because in your earlier post you said one can eat more calories on a good diet, implying that if it's "good" food it doesn't matter if you eat more than you burn.

Edited by LeviF91