MMQB: 2015 will be seismic year for QBs

YoloinOhio

http://mmqb.si.com/2...ket-draft-2015/

The QB Market Crash

RGIII has crashed, Newton is hurting and Kaepernick is struggling. With more questions than answers at the top of the upcoming draft class, will teams back off the big investments in young quarterbacks?

Probably not. It's the most important position in football. If teams think they can get a good one they will take the chance. And in the rookie wage scael era it's not that big of a deal to take a chance in the draft like it used to be. RGIII needs to go somewhere where he's not friends with the owner of the team. Newton's GM did him dirty getting rid of Steve Smith and not building up that offensive line. Kaepernick... I have no idea what's going on with him. His physical talent is still elite. I'm thinking if Harbaugh leaves or he goes elswhere we will see Keapernick back at a higher level.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The QB Market Crash

RGIII has crashed, Newton is hurting and Kaepernick is struggling. With more questions than answers at the top of the upcoming draft class, will teams back off the big investments in young quarterbacks?

No, because even if they fail you still have to try to get a QB. I don't think many of those actually will become available, I would take a run at Foles if he hits the market, he looked good could develop behind Orton.

this is why I love Connor cook. He is a pro style QB from the big 10 who has played in all kinds of weather and some very big games and against fast, complicated defenses.

There are so many spread offenses now with the dual threat QBs but that didn't always translate to nfl success. Cook is tough. If the Bills take a QB I hope it's him. This year or next year, whenever he declares. Trade up if needed. He makes all the throws and trucks defenders.

How dare you like my QB :D

Probably not. It's the most important position in football. If teams think they can get a good one they will take the chance. And in the rookie wage scael era it's not that big of a deal to take a chance in the draft like it used to be. RGIII needs to go somewhere where he's not friends with the owner of the team. Newton's GM did him dirty getting rid of Steve Smith and not building up that offensive line. Kaepernick... I have no idea what's going on with him. His physical talent is still elite. I'm thinking if Harbaugh leaves or he goes elswhere we will see Keapernick back at a higher level.

Elite physical talent does not necessarily translate to long term success. See Vince Young and Jamarcus . QBs need to be able to read defenses and operate in pocket . RGIII and Kap have not been able to do that and hence they look like dumpster fires .

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/12/03/quarterback-market-draft-2015/

The QB Market Crash

all QB's who like to run

Look at the top 3 teams in the league over a 10 year span. Their Qbs have been the traditional pocket passers. The game will always have fads and new gimmicks, but it will always revert to Super Bowl teams having that pure, accurate, pocket passer. NFL defenses just evolve to quickly to allow anything different.

Top ten QBs over the last 10 years (not in any particular order) :

Brady

Manning

Rodgers

Eli

Big Ben

Brees

Rivers

Favre

Palmer

Warner

primarily guys who stay in the pocket

The QB Market Crash

QBs will fall to late round1, round 2 and later with the running backs. that's about it. immediate impact players will go in 1st.

The QB Market Crash

All those QB's you mention have all been the running- read option types that were briefly so successful for a few years. Then the reality sets in that opposing NFL defenses will catch up to any new angles in the offense, and shut it down. Plus, all the running these young QB's have done take their toll on their bodies, and suddenly its not so smart to run n gun in the NFL.

Hence the true pocket QB's are still the most desirable. Players like Andrew Luck will never go out of popularity, and the thing is that Luck can scramble as well as anyone in the league. Yet throws first, and only runs as a last resort. I don't know why Peter King bunched Jay Cutler in with that crowd as he is not a scrambler-read option QB. Then I think Gil Brandt has it wrong when he says the NFL is slowly, slowly going back to the pocket passer. I think it never left, and aside from Russell Wilson who is an anomaly Fran Tarkenton type clone none of those read option QB's have won a SB. The Pocket passers still dominate the league.

It remains to be seen what Johnny Football can do, but he seems so small and almost destined to have his bell rung quickly that he may never turn into another Russell Wilson -Tarkenton type. Then again he could be that next read option pocket passer to take a team to the SB.

Whats funny is Ryan Tannehill didn't start improving this season until his OC allowed him the read option runs if nothing is open down field. This meant the defense must spy him, and that takes a defender away from the secondary. Thus opening up an easier passing game for him, and allowed him to be more comfortable in the pocket.

Bottom line, its nice to have a mobile QB. But its far more important to have a good coaching staff, build a solid line and have good players that are disciplined enough to execute a good offensive scheme..just ask Mark Sanchez.

the qb market has certainly gotten strange the last few years. we have had talks quite a few times about that "second tier" of qbs, and it not really existing these days. Sure the brady/rogers/brees group is worth top tier money, but that second group needs some drop off in pay so that you can bridge the talent gap with dollars elsewhere.

Its funny how much praise we give the Brady/Rodgers/Brees groupd you mention and how quick everyone is to slander some of the others when in fact that Brady and Rodgers never saw the field until they where 5 years in the league and we seem to forget about Brees being so awful the Chargers went out and drafted another QB. Not to mention the first season Payton Manning started he threw 28 ints

Its funny how much praise we give the Brady/Rodgers/Brees groupd you mention and how quick everyone is to slander some of the others when in fact that Brady and Rodgers never saw the field until they where 5 years in the league and we seem to forget about Brees being so awful the Chargers went out and drafted another QB. Not to mention the first season Payton Manning started he threw 28 ints

I suggest you check the true NFL history, instead of your version of it.