Marrone's future? For him, Bills, anything can happen

HOUSE

Mike Schopp Reporting

@schopptalk

schopp@wgr550.com

I've watched the last two Bills games from a bar. For the first of them, the Thursday night game in Miami, the place was very busy. A friend of mine is a bartender there, and at halftime, with the Bills leading 6-3, he had a minute to chat.

"What do you think so far?", he asked me.

"I think whatever we're going to care about from this game hasn't happened yet," I replied.

That's pretty much the way I feel right now about the Bills' season.

The Bills are 6-5 and have, I'd say, slightly exceeded expectations. They are practically the definition of an average team. They have no high-quality wins or bad losses. They can be excellent on defense, and they're lacking on offense. They're in the middle. >SNIP<

http://www.wgr550.co...happen/20404395

Edited by HOUSE

I see a new coaching staff unless the Bills make the playoffs...period

I am sure the Pegula's have some NFL head coaching friends.....

Totally disagree. This team is vastly better than in 2012. Win against Cleveland, and Marrone is not going anywhere. Pegula is patient and can see a positive trajectory. Canning a coach after two years unless you have a disaster on your hands makes no sense except for fans.. right now this is hardly a disaster....

Totally disagree. This team is vastly better than in 2012. Win against Cleveland, and Marrone is not going anywhere. Pegula is patient and can see a positive trajectory. Canning a coach after two years unless you have a disaster on your hands makes no sense except for fans.. right now this is hardly a disaster....

Nope, I believe New Ownership has their own plan and unless you can make a serious case for Marrone, I think he is history without a playoff appearance.

Lets not forget, this was the "no excuses" season.

I believe a top 3 head coach will be the replacement.

--

Edited by HOUSE

Nope, I believe New Ownership has their own plan and unless you can make a serious case for Marrone, I think he is history without a playoff appearance.

Lets not forget, this was the "no excuses" season

Lets face it, the Bills are not going to the playoffs this season without divine intervention. But unless the Pegulas hire a consultant that can find a coach better than Marrone who would take the job, Marrone stays. I mean look at it this way, would a promising coach want to go to a team that fired the last guy after 2 seasons, when the team showed considerable improvement, and still did not have a solid starting QB and no 1st round draft pick? Doubtful.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Lets face it, the Bills are not going to the playoffs this season without divine intervention. But unless the Pegulas hire a consultant that can find a coach better than Marrone who would take the job, Marrone stays. I mean look at it this way, would a promising coach want to go to a team that fired the last guy after 2 seasons, when the team showed considerable improvement, and still did not have a solid starting QB? Doubtful.

This is new ownership and most top head coaches understand a wholesale change after the team changes hands..

We will see..........I will be happy either way....... :thumbsup:

This is new ownership and most top head coaches understand a wholesale change after the team changes hands..

I don't think the Pegulas have a clear plan in place at all. I think they are learning about the team and trying to get a handle on things. Mr. Pegula does not seem like one for rash decisions. If the team finishes 9-7 I think everyone stays. Maybe there is an outside chance that Hackett gets fired, but I doubt it. If I was an owner, why would I fire a guy who went from 6-10 to 9-7 in the two years since being hired? I would view the team as heading in the right direction. Continuity is actually important. A record of 8-8 , probably the same result.

I go back and forth with this but the team has shown mprovement under this staff and because of that I think they get another year

I personally am no longer a Marrone fan but you cant deny they are close to being a playoff team and I just dont see Pegula not giving him another year.

Edited by Max997

I'd love to know what good ol Terry is up to. As vastly improved as I believe our defense is, it's hard to argue that we are anything more than average right now. With wins against the Browns and Raiders, and what right now is logical to say would be losses to the Broncos, Pack and Patriots, I think Marrone still sticks around. A two game improvement I think merits him one more season. From everything I've heard about the Pegula's, that would be my guess. I think if we somehow manage to lose out, then I think Marrone is shown the door, but heck I wouldn't be surprised if he was still retained, with the stipulation he fire Hackett.

Edited by smuvtalker

with a 9-7 finish, I think its a safe bet that Marrone gets one more year.

8-8 and then its a toss up.

7-9 or worse and he's gone.

Just my opinion.

This is close to what I think.

8 wins and he stays IF he cans Hackett Jr.

9 or 10 wins and he and whoever wants to stay can.

7 or less, and he packs his tray.

This is what I'd do. As far as what Terry will do, its anyone's guess at this point.

Lets face it, the Bills are not going to the playoffs this season without divine intervention. But unless the Pegulas hire a consultant that can find a coach better than Marrone who would take the job, Marrone stays. I mean look at it this way, would a promising coach want to go to a team that fired the last guy after 2 seasons, when the team showed considerable improvement, and still did not have a solid starting QB and no 1st round draft pick? Doubtful.

Under normal circumstances, I would agree with you. But, the Bills just got a new owner. So it's expected some changes could occur.

Actually, I think this team is in better place than its been for quite some time, regarding bringing in top flight coaches. I suspect in recent years Ralph was willing to pay top dollar (if you believe the rumors at the time Shanny was shopping), but his age and lack of public transition plan made it unlikely anyone would come here, because there was a perceived lack of long term stability.

Now, we have new owners, guaranteed staying in Buffalo, deep pockets, new stadium talks, loaded roster (albeit a few holes, i.e. QB), rabid fan base. The only real knock is the small market. But, I fail to see how anyone could look at coaching in Buffalo and not think it's a good spot to be, at this point in time.

Me too, provided we finish 8-8 or better. I would be good with Marrone being given one more season. I would also be happy with a coaching change, because I feel like with the Bills organization, under new leadership, with much more stability in place, will be a much more appealing job, so I think in turn that will land us a much better HC choice.

Most influential on the reasons for 14 > 12:

1) Dave Wandsteadt

2) Jerry Hughes

5) Mario's wrist

19,872) Doug Marrone

Has nothing to do with fans being fans.