Houston Texans Game - EJ Manuel

EJ's biggest issue in the Houston game was not the passes he threw. It was the passes he never attempted. The all-22 showed a lot of plays he left on the field. What's really telling about those plays is that he saw them, contemplated them, and then decided to bail. That's usually because he doesn't trust what he's seeing and that's usually because he lacks confidence, which is his biggest issue by far.

GO BILLS!!!

This^

I went back a few weeks ago when I was not motivated to do hw and watched the first four games

The difference in Ej's confidence from game one to game 4 was very apparent. The chargers game really knocked him down and JJ Watt is a bad bad man. I'm not sure if he can ever overcome that, but its more mental than physical with EJ IMO

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a combination of both...I was also thinking that play should never have been called but I didn't want this post to be too wordy. Watt plays every position on the DL and you have to always be mindful of where he is.

When I said "The play calling was bland" I was referring to this play as well as the 100 other screen plays we ran that day. Sometimes its hard for me to tell if EJ is just not confident enough to not check down all the time or if the play calls for him to dump it to the RB that often. We were doing that all day. Watt was waiting for it.

Watt alone hits EJ, what, about 10 times that day? it was a tough game.

The difference in Ej's confidence from game one to game 4 was very apparent. The chargers game really knocked him down and JJ Watt is a bad bad man. I'm not sure if he can ever overcome that, but its more mental than physical with EJ IMO

Ever??? Come on, that's a little extreme. He's not going to let 1 game or 1 play prevent him from doing anything in the future.

I think he is cool under pressure, I really do. Just look at the video of him on the sideline before the last game winning drive against Panther's last season...Marrone wanted to make sure he wasn't freaking out and EJ had to tell Marrone not to worry, he was good.

I made some of these points in other threads but to summarize:

1- Watt got the highest defensive grade ever from PFF for this game.

2- Two of Watt's nine hits were just above the knee and were flagged. The rest of the defenders added nine more. EJ did well to walk away from this game.

3- EJ was sacked only twice which tells me that he was very aware of the protection breakdowns. Maybe too focused on them.

4- The last pick, by a diving defender, was a blatant, gutless no call. It was not subtle nor could it have gone unnoticed. It occurred over 10-12 yards of the route and over 1-2 seconds of time. It's nothing that could be missed in the blink of an eye. It directly lead to an over throw pick and ended the game.

5- There was an over throw on a deep cross where Sammy was able to only get one outstretched hand on the ball. The torch and pitchfork crowd used this as evidence to rip EJ for poor accuracy. Sammy actually stumbled across the back legs of a defender as he made his break, after the ball had been delivered, easily costing him a step or two, imo, and a legit chance to catch what was probably a decent ball.

Ever??? Come on, that's a little extreme. He's not going to let 1 game or 1 play prevent him from doing anything in the future.

I think he is cool under pressure, I really do. Just look at the video of him on the sideline before the last game winning drive against Panther's last season...Marrone wanted to make sure he wasn't freaking out and EJ had to tell Marrone not to worry, he was good.

I think so, too. He's had several drives like that in a two-minute offense where he's shown a cool hand.

But for whatever reason, his confidence has flagged and along with it, his poise in the pocket. If I had to guess I'd say it's a combination of the pressure to succeed and being afraid to phuck up. Terrible combination, that.

GO BILLS!!!

I only say that because I imagine its tough to get back in there after being pulled and be confident, not look over your shoulder etc.

Ask yourself if you have any confidence Marrone and Hackett have any idea what they are doing? Why did it take so long to get Urbik on the field? Why is Mike Williams not used? Why is Lee Smith on the field or even in the NFL? If i'm Whaley I take Marrone up on his offer and fire him. Keep Scwartz as DC and hire another offensive minded HC named Gruden.

I think so, too. He's had several drives like that in a two-minute offense where he's shown a cool hand.

But for whatever reason, his confidence has flagged and along with it, his poise in the pocket. If I had to guess I'd say it's a combination of the pressure to succeed and being afraid to phuck up. Terrible combination, that.

GO BILLS!!!

i wonder if between the rumblings of wood going to marrone last year, and the general atmosphere of the WRs - coupled with not getting the captain vote - coupled with KO - and who knows how apparent the coaches made it that he was on a short leash behind closed doors.... helped add up to that.

heck, if some of those high level fights were actually over EJ...

all that ignoring the offensive line issues....

it might help reconcile the "cool under pressure" with his tentativeness.

Edited by NoSaint

Ask yourself if you have any confidence Marrone and Hackett have any idea what they are doing? Why did it take so long to get Urbik on the field? Why is Mike Williams not used? Why is Lee Smith on the field or even in the NFL? If i'm Whaley I take Marrone up on his offer and fire him. Keep Scwartz as DC and hire another offensive minded HC named Gruden.

Gruden isn't coming back. I have confidence that Marrone can improve and become a solid HC, but who knows. I don't think its time to over react yet.

I just hope Schwartz stays.

Edited by Hot Buffalo Wings

i get that down the stretch you often let them play a little extra

Sometime maybe. But it sure didn't work out that way in the Fish game with the bogus intentional grounding and PI call on Gilmore. If anything, it appeared to the be opposite.

Gruden isn't coming back.

Did Jon tell you this? If not, how do you know? No one knows, except Jon of course.

I love it when people on TBD make these pronouncements.

Sometime maybe. But it sure didn't work out that way in the Fish game with the bogus intentional grounding and PI call on Gilmore. If anything, it appeared to the be opposite.

Did Jon tell you this? If not, how do you know? No one knows, except Jon of course.

I love it when people on TBD make these pronouncements.

Oh please...call it an educated guess. Obviously I haven't tapped his phones. I'm just saying I wouldn't count on it, guy...Its not worth bringing up in a conversation. Edited by Hot Buffalo Wings

Oh please...call it an educated guess. Obviously I haven't tapped his phones. I'm just saying I wouldn't count on it, guy...Its not worth bringing up in a conversation.

In other words, you don't know. Thanks for clearing that up.

Is it OK for us to talk Cowher or Holmgren?

Edited by reddogblitz

i wonder if between the rumblings of wood going to marrone last year, and the general atmosphere of the WRs - coupled with not getting the captain vote - coupled with KO - and who knows how apparent the coaches made it that he was on a short leash behind closed doors.... helped add up to that.

heck, if some of those high level fights were actually over EJ...

all that ignoring the offensive line issues....

it might help reconcile the "cool under pressure" with his tentativeness.

My two guys have been spending more time away from the facility and more time on the road this season, so I don't have a finger on the locker room pulse as much as in the past. I think all of what you say certainly makes sense, but I can say that Woods' outbursts last year had less to do with EJ and more to do with his former WR coach. Also, Woods is a bit of a diva as they say; thinks every ball should come his way. But there's a difference between a competitor that wants the ball because he is super confidant in his abilities but always maintains a team first attitude vs. one who has a tendency to pout and let it effect his play. I'm sorry to say Woods has shown that tendency in the past.

I don't have the sense that EJ was worried about KO or any of the other QBs on the roster, but you are dead on about his leash getting shortened. NOBODY on the staff thought he was ready to play last year. And that was a source of friction between the Dougs for sure.

GO BILLS!!!

I watched the first few games again as well. The problem isn't just the o-line play. Even when EJ had time to make a throw he was off target a lot. I would often get the sense that EJ was going to get somebody hurt with his ball placement.

It became pretty apparent that EJ wasn't playing with much confidence. Plays were there to be made and EJ would often either throw a poorly placed ball or check down too quickly instead of hanging in the pocket and letting things develop downfield. He plays too scared and I ultimately think that's because his HC coaches the same way so he's ingrained in EJ's mind that it's better to take the safer option and get 2 or 3 yards on the checkdown instead of letting a play develop downfield and throwing a 20 yard throw into a tighter window.

I'm hoping he's using this team wisely and if or when he gets another shot that he makes the most of it. It would be fantastic if this kid turned into a really good QB that we could rely on for the next 10 years. I have my doubts but I'd like to be able to sit back and say that this team no longer needs a QB.

Edited by Bangarang

I watched the first few games again as well. The problem isn't just the o-line play. Even when EJ had time to make a throw he was off target a lot. I would often get the sense that EJ was going to get somebody hurt with his ball placement.

I'm hoping he's using this team wisely and if or when he gets another shot that he makes the most of it. It would be fantastic if this kid turned into a really good QB that we could rely on for the next 10 years. I have my doubts but I'd like to be able to sit back and say that this team no longer needs a QB.

Agreed. I've often gone back and watched games after the emotions have run their course. When he had time to sit in the pocket he rushed his throws or was way off target or took the check down. He made the occasional nice throw, but they were very few and far between. He just didn't have command of the offense.

The best thing for the Bills would be if EJ somehow turned into a good QB. But the worry is the accuracy. I think that's tough to fix and may not be fixable at all.

You guys need to consider that when the Bills played the Texans their defense was pretty ineffectual except for one facet, their pass rush.

So what does brainiac Can't Hackett do, he has EJ throw 44 times vs 23 rushes for 96 yards, and again the Bills were averaging 4.2 YPC.

Basically the Bills OC had EJ so often throw he forced his QB play right into the strength of that Texans defense. If the Bills had kept running the ball they could have worn out that Houston defense that was ranked 17th against the run.

Chalk this loss up to our beloved (but soon to be history) boneheaded OC. Each loss has become a nightmare to watch, as either the Bills OC is trying to get the HC fired so he can be the HC or he is taking bribes from other teams to throw games. Seriously, no mentally competent person would continuously try and force his own offense to play against, and into the other teams strengths. It started with San Diego.

Edited by FeartheLosing

Lol damn, didn't realize this was such a sensitive subject for you. All I was saying is that Gruden is unlikely, that is all. Didn't mean to ruin your day.

No worries. My day is not ruined. In fact, it's going well.

It just cracks me up when people make these pronouncements as if they are facts, when they are at best, pure conjecture. I remember one poster making such a pronouncement after the Jauron firing that the next coach was going to be Weiss and it'd be finalized by Christmas. LOL

You guys need to consider that when the Bills played the Texans their defense was pretty ineffectual except for one facet, their pass rush.

So what does brainiac Can't Hackett do, he has EJ throw 44 times vs 23 rushes for 96 yards, and again the Bills were averaging 4.2 YPC.

Basically the Bills OC had EJ so often throw he forced his QB play right into the strength of that Texans defense. If the Bills had kept running the ball they could have worn out that Houston defense that was ranked 17th against the run.

Chalk this loss up to our beloved (but soon to be history) boneheaded OC. Each loss has become a nightmare to watch, as either the Bills OC is trying to get the HC fired so he can be the HC or he is taking bribes from other teams to throw games. Seriously, no mentally competent person would continuously try and force his own offense to play against, and into the other teams strengths. It started with San Diego.

What are they ranked against the pass? I see that's missing from your post.

No worries. My day is not ruined. In fact, it's going well.

It just cracks me up when people make these pronouncements as if they are facts, when they are at best, pure conjecture. I remember one poster making such a pronouncement after the Jauron firing that the next coach was going to be Weiss and it'd be finalized by Christmas. LOL

Of course it's "pure conjecture". I never said it was a fact. It was obviously a strong opinion...I picture you trolling these message boards just looking for an argument.

ANNNND there's no chance Gruden coaches the Bills. You'll learn to live with that.

As you were :flirt:

Edited by Hot Buffalo Wings