Who do you WANT as the Bills coach in 2015?

Kirby Jackson

Bills Head Coach 2015  

318 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you WANT as the Bills Head Coach in 2015? (if you select other please indicate your choice in the comments)

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me personally I could care less WHERE a guy coached. College coaches (Carroll, Harbaugh, Kelly) are all having success. I care WHAT he coaches and HOW it has worked. Malzahn was a high school coach not long ago, so were Freeze and Briles. All 3 of them are coaching top 10 teams. Get an innovator on offense and your team will improve.

Agreed.

Just because a college coach didn't work this time, doesn't mean you don't go that route again. It's like saying you wouldn't draft a QB from "X" school because they've never produced a franchise QB there.

There have been scattered posts about this all over today. This should be an opportunity to state the person that you want on the sidelines in 2015. If you vote for other please specify the person that you want in the comments. Pease try to be realistic (ie Bill Belicheck isn't an option)

My vote is absolutely going to Gus Malzahn. I think that he is a better Chip Kelly. His teams play an attacking style of offense (similar to the way that Pettine plays D). I want a team that plays aggressive and with pace. He does the exact opposite of what we do now; he wins with scheme.

I'm not that familliar with him but do we really want a HC who only has 35 games under his belt under the HC title?

CBF

I think the world of him as a football coach. He's great. They say that he is a great guy as well. That program is in good hands.

I think the key quality or attribute that keeps coming out is INNOVATOR ! I thought that's what we were getting with Marrone/Hackett/Pettine and, as it turned out, only Pettine filled the bill.

I look at Arians and Chip Kelly and I am floored with the success both have had with non-franchise QB's !!

As we all know, finding a franchise QB is HARD, so, in the meantime, we might be looking a couple years of making do without one. Kelly has won with Vick/Foles/Sanchez and Arians has won with Palmer/Stanton.

Agreed.

Just because a college coach didn't work this time, doesn't mean you don't go that route again. It's like saying you wouldn't draft a QB from "X" school because they've never produced a franchise QB there.

Agreed. But the opposite is also true. Just because a few college coaches are having success doesn't necessarily mean that we should be looking for the next hot shot college coach.

I'm not that familliar with him but do we really want a HC who only has 35 games under his belt under the HC title?

CBF

Yes.

Chip Kelly only had 53 games as a coach, ever, before he became the Eagles head coach. Gus Malzahn has been a High School coach as well. Give me Gus Malzahn or give me death.

I think the key quality or attribute that keeps coming out is INNOVATOR ! I thought that's what we were getting with Marrone/Hackett/Pettine and, as it turned out, only Pettine filled the bill.

I look at Arians and Chip Kelly and I am floored with the success both have had with non-franchise QB's !!

As we all know, finding a franchise QB is HARD, so, in the meantime, we might be looking a couple years of making do without one. Kelly has won with Vick/Foles/Sanchez and Arians has won with Palmer/Stanton.

You are spot on!! Couldn't agree more

Agreed. But the opposite is also true. Just because a few college coaches are having success doesn't necessarily mean that we should be looking for the next hot shot college coach.

I agree with that. There's all sorts of ways to find Head Coaches, much like there is all sorts of ways to find great players, it's about identifying the right ones.

Sorry Kirby, I don't want some pukey college coach who may or may not know wtf he is doing in the NFL.

I don't want an an NFL assistant who may or may not know know how to thoroughly do his job as an NFL HC in Adam Gase, Darrell Bevell.

I want an experienced NFL HC with a past history of winning. Jim Harbough- Bill Cowher would be my choices, and this new owner could afford to hire both. I want someone who knows talent at every NFL position so we won't ever need to see players like Cornell Green, Colin Brown, Doug Legursky, Justin Rodgers on the field in the Bills uni.

This

CBF

That's kind of the point. Just worry about the "what" and the "how" and you will be fine. Factoring in the "where" is irrelevant (unless you are hiring like a FCS coach).

For me personally I could care less WHERE a guy coached. College coaches (Carroll, Harbaugh, Kelly) are all having success. I care WHAT he coaches and HOW it has worked. Malzahn was a high school coach not long ago, so were Freeze and Briles. All 3 of them are coaching top 10 teams. Get an innovator on offense and your team will improve.

Its not just about the offense, and being an innovator in college.

Its about knowing how the NFL works in every aspect, and Jim Harbaugh played as a QB in the NFL before he built a winning college, NFL team as a head coach. Pete Carroll cut his teeth in the NFL in Buffalo as DB's assistant coach to being an NFL DC to head coaching with both with New England & New York Jets.

Exactly how many college coaches make that extremely difficult transition from college to the NFL successfully? Nick Saban didn't- Steve Spurrier didn't-Lou Holtz didn't- Butch Davis didn't- Bobby Petrino didn't-Dennis Erickson didn't- Frank Kush didn't- Bud Wilkinson didn't- Dick MacPherson didn't- Rich Brooks didn't.

Chip Kelly is an anomaly at his position as a new NFL head coach without previous NFL experience. BUT! He was also smart enough to hired experienced NFL assistants in DC Bill Davis & OC Shurmur. Unlike Maroon.

I'm sorry, I'm so sick of maybes and wannabes. I want a proven winner that knows talent. I can't emphasize enough how important it is to know NFL talent at every position. Only two guys I know fit that bill, Harbaugh & Cowher.

I'd take in no particular order Hue Jackson, Sumlin, Freeze, Bevell and I could be convinced with a few other offensive minded guys

Edit: In addition to Malzahn, who would be my first choice. But I wonder about the oncoming bloodbath of coaching fires. Rivera could be out and he could find himself wanting to be reunited with Cam.

Edited by uncle flap

Its not just about the offense, and being an innovator in college.

Its about knowing how the NFL works in every aspect, and Jim Harbaugh played as a QB in the NFL before he built a winning college, NFL team as a head coach. Pete Carroll cut his teeth in the NFL in Buffalo as DB's assistant coach to being an NFL DC to head coaching with both with New England & New York Jets.

Exactly how many college coaches make that extremely difficult transition from college to the NFL successfully? Nick Saban didn't- Steve Spurrier didn't-Lou Holtz didn't- Butch Davis didn't- Bobby Petrino didn't-Dennis Erickson didn't- Frank Kush didn't- Bud Wilkinson didn't- Dick MacPherson didn't- Rich Brooks didn't.

Chip Kelly is an anomaly at his position as a new NFL head coach without previous NFL experience. BUT! He was also smart enough to hired experienced NFL assistants in DC Bill Davis & OC Shurmur. Unlike Maroon.

I'm sorry, I'm so sick of maybes and wannabes. I want a proven winner that knows talent. I can't emphasize enough how important it is to know NFL talent at every position. Only two guys I know fit that bill, Harbaugh & Cowher.

The college game is influencing the pro game (not the other way around) for the 1st time in history. You are seeing the smoothest transitions that you have ever seen at the moment for that reason. Harbaugh cut his teeth in college and Carroll reinvented himself there. Kelly is a different story completely and the best example. He is not an anomaly; he is a pioneer. His style is what is "next."

That is why I want Malzahn. He coaches that same style but better. It is about spacing, tempo and personnel groupings. You win and lose before the ball is snapped now more than any other time in the history of football. Analytics and film study are all a part of identifying these opportunities.

You can attack a particular weakness now more than ever because you know what your opponent is going to do before he does it. As an example if you know that "x" guy is blitzing through "Y" gap you run "Z" play to expose that.

In addition you can dictate the pace at which the game is played to create the situations that you want your defense in. You create packages and formations that leave someone like Brandon Spikes on an island with a TE or a RB. You put their guys in position to do what they do poorly as much as you are putting your guys in position to do what they do well. Above all else this is the biggest difference. It isn't just about you putting your guys in position to do what they do well it is about putting their guys in position to do what they do worst.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

The college game is influencing the pro game (not the other way around) for the 1st time in history. You are seeing the smoothest transitions that you have ever seen at the moment for that reason. Harbaugh cut his teeth in college and Carroll reinvented himself there. Kelly is a different story completely and the best example. He is not an anomaly; he is a pioneer. His style is what is "next."

That is why I want Malzahn. He coaches that same style but better. It is about spacing, tempo and personnel groupings. You win and lose before the ball is snapped now more than any other time in the history of football. Analytics and film study are all a part of identifying these opportunities.

You can attack a particular weakness now more than ever because you know what your opponent is going to do before he does it. As an example if you know that "x" guy is blitzing through "Y" gap you run "Z" play to expose that.

In addition you can dictate the pace at which the game is played to create the situations that you want your defense in. You create packages and formations that leave someone like Brandon Spikes on an island with a TE or a RB. You put their guys in position to do what they do poorly as much as you are putting your guys in position to do what they do well. Above all else this is the biggest difference. It isn't just about you putting your guys in position to do what they do well it is about putting their guys in position to do what they do worst.

and what happens when you keep putting crap players on the field? its not going to work in any sense. Just like it isn't working to any great degree in Buffalo now.

Plus, I still say its a completely different world from amateur college players to the NFL with highly paid professionals. I don't trust any college coaches anymore, not after Marrone.

then you need to stop and look at how Malzahn is doing his winning in 2013 which is 72% running. That isn't going to cut it in the NFL, as its a passing league. Then his defense is very questionable. He also has a problem with discipline, as his team 61 penalties with 612 yards ranks Auburn DEAD LAST in the SEC in penalties.

I'd rather take the safer route with a known NFL commodity then another unknown again! Man, i so desperately want to see this team have a winning season, and then the playoffs. no more maybes!