2014 Top WR's and where they were drafted

I think the point to try and prove would be that the Bills would be just as well off with Benjamin or Evans, and a 2015 first round pick.

Well for one, they wouldn't have been able to get Evans but yes agreed that there is a point to be made there. I don't necessarily agree with it though, as I think Watkins will be a top 5 WR in this league for years to come.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Antonio Brown - Round 6 (195)

Demaryius Thomas - Round 1 (22)

T.Y Hilton - Round 3 (92)

Golden Tate - Round 2 (60)

Jordy Nelson - Round 2 (36)

Julio Jones - Round 1 (6)

Emmanuel Sanders - Round 3 (82)

Dez Bryant - Round 1 (24)

Jeremy Maclin - Round 1 (19)

Desean Jackson -Round 2 (49)

Just another reason you don't waste exorbitant resources on WR's especially those that hinder future decision making. You waste those resources to find the QB.

why would you waste resources?

Everyone knows the best way to get rich is to win the lottery. I find it comical that so many people choose not to win the lottery.

Similarly having a top 5 QB is the best way for sustained success in the NFL. Why doesn't Buffalo get a top 5 QB? Its mind boggling.

:lol::beer:

I'm all for building heavily in other areas, WR is just not a top priority.

That shows me you are behind the curve rather than in front of it. We both know this is a passing league. We both agree that a franchise QB is paramount. But in a world where everyone is trying to get one (and supply is short), you have to look at alternatives. What do all QBs need to succeed? A strong O-Line and weapons to throw to. One can argue good O-Lines can be built in multiple ways (draft, FA, trades). WRs and skill position players at elite levels -- which Sammy is -- are much more difficult to get in FA or through trade. Why? Because those are the most expensive positions in the league outside of pass rushers and pass throwers.

Building up your stable of weapons through the draft is cheaper, and if done correctly, helps by elevating the play of the current QB (which it has) as well as building an enticing portfolio of talent to draw in free agent signal callers.

Your obsession with only trading up for QBs or not trading up at all is just absurdly limiting and does not take into consideration that there are multiple ways to build a team.

I'm talking about bottoming out for the #1 overall. With all the seasons of losing they never managed to luck into that chance of an automatic franchise changing player. The Sabres are hoping for that right now.

This is just foolish. Getting the number one pick does not guarantee an "automatic franchise changing player" unless there is one available in the draft. Arguing that it's the only way to get the guy you need shows how shallow your understanding of building a team actually is.

I don't remember saying that? Maybe I am losing my mind but if you can link to where I said that I'd appreciate it. There are ways of acquiring QBs outside of the top half of the 1st round Alex Smith, Russell Wilson, Drew Brees, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Colin Kaepernick, Brian Hoyer, Carson Palmer and Aaron Rodgers were all acquired by their current teams in another manner.

Who were those franchise changing guys at the time? Luck? Is that it? So the Bills didn't finish last the year that he went 1st. They could have finished last the year that Jamarcus went 1st and been worse off. Stafford & Newton are good but have won as many playoff games as me if that's the criteria. Alex Smith became a good player in his 7th year or whatever it was. Andrew Luck is the only guy that fits that franchise changing player.

Thank you for the common sense. :beer:

I don't remember saying that? Maybe I am losing my mind but if you can link to where I said that I'd appreciate it. There are ways of acquiring QBs outside of the top half of the 1st round Alex Smith, Russell Wilson, Drew Brees, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Colin Kaepernick, Brian Hoyer, Carson Palmer and Aaron Rodgers were all acquired by their current teams in another manner.

Who were those franchise changing guys at the time? Luck? Is that it? So the Bills didn't finish last the year that he went 1st. They could have finished last the year that Jamarcus went 1st and been worse off. Stafford & Newton are good but have won as many playoff games as me if that's the criteria. Alex Smith became a good player in his 7th year or whatever it was. Andrew Luck is the only guy that fits that franchise changing player.

sorry Kirby. I linked the wrong OP in my reply. You are absolved.

Except Evans was gone and they are on record as saying that the pick would have been Ebron if they could trade up. We are talking about Ebron and pick 18(ish) next year or Sammy.

no need to saddle the argument with the bills supposed choice (which despite chandler's sucking may not have been the best). the argument comes down to best available at the spot + mid 1st round pick + mid 4th round pick versus watkins. i don't see it while many here seem to think it's a slam dunk. i would bet there are very few non bills fans that judge this equation overwhelmingly positive for the bills.

no need to saddle the argument with the bills supposed choice (which despite chandler's sucking may not have been the best). the argument comes down to best available at the spot + mid 1st round pick + mid 4th round pick versus watkins. i don't see it while many here seem to think it's a slam dunk. i would bet there are very few non bills fans that judge this equation overwhelmingly positive for the bills.

Ebron was the guy. We can do the whole "we could have drafted Tom Brady in the 5th round" thing to MMQB the draft. I chose to analyze the situation as it would have played out. The reality is that is was Ebron (I know that to be true). What would this board be saying now with the play of these young WR if Ebron was the pick?

Whether or not it was a good trade or not can be debated. I am just not sure how you can just plug any random successful draft pick in their to judge. If they had Ebron instead of Watkins they would have 2 more losses now meaning next year's 1st would probably be closer to 8-10 and not 15-20.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Ebron was the guy. We can do the whole "we could have drafted Tom Brady in the 5th round" thing to MMQB the draft. I chose to analyze the situation as it would have played out. The reality is that is was Ebron (I know that to be true). What would this board be saying now with the play of these young WR if Ebron was the pick?

Whether or not it was a good trade or not can be debated. I am just not sure how you can just plug any random successful draft pick in their to judge. If they had Ebron instead of Watkins they would have 2 more losses now meaning next year's 1st would probably be closer to 8-10 and not 15-20.

so you're limiting the argument to historic bills think. i believe that to be a proven losing proposition. hopefully, our new owner and his shiny new consultant will see the folly in it as well.

so you're limiting the argument to historic bills think. i believe that to be a proven losing proposition. hopefully, our new owner and his shiny new consultant will see the folly in it as well.

I don't know if it's limiting the argument, if anything its clarifying it. Think about it, most times fans never get to know exactly what would have happened in various draft scenarios. This time, because of the way the draft was covered by the Bills site, we actually got a definitive answer of what the plan was and how everything went down.

If your argument is that the Ebron pick would have been bad, I agree with you. In light of the two choices, going up to get Sammy is by far my preferred choice. Ebron might be good, but Sammy's winning games for us this year and will continue to do so for hopefully the next decade. A simple scan of the incoming crop of college QBs shows it's not a banner year. There aren't going to be any saviors this coming in on a white horse -- even if the Bills had a first round pick to maneuver with.

I don't know if it's limiting the argument, if anything its clarifying it. Think about it, most times fans never get to know exactly what would have happened in various draft scenarios. This time, because of the way the draft was covered by the Bills site, we actually got a definitive answer of what the plan was and how everything went down.

If your argument is that the Ebron pick would have been bad, I agree with you. In light of the two choices, going up to get Sammy is by far my preferred choice. Ebron might be good, but Sammy's winning games for us this year and will continue to do so for hopefully the next decade. A simple scan of the incoming crop of college QBs shows it's not a banner year. There aren't going to be any saviors this coming in on a white horse -- even if the Bills had a first round pick to maneuver with.

it's a false choice if your hope is a paradigm shift in management philosophy and personel.