byrd rated as biggest free agent flop on NFL.com

justnzane

No one would trade for a player that is ready to walk. The Bills tried. Other teams in the same boat try. Rarely does anyone bite because a team would be stupid to trade for a player they can't sign. And if they can sign him, why trade for him? Just wait till he's a free man.

We gave Parker permission to find a trading partner even BEFORE the '12 season ended and it was apparent they were gonna test the market (and who could blame them?). There weren't teams lining up to talk to them. As a matter of fact, there wasn't a huge amount of interest in Byrd as a free agent when he was on the market. I think Parker played N.O. perfectly.

That said, this idea that he's a huge FA bust is absurd. He's injured for crissakes. It's also absurd to point to a couple plays he gave up before he was injured as well. Contrary to PFF and others, Byrd gave up big plays as a Bill since his rookie year and that's nothing new. But if he stayed healthy there is not reason to believe he wouldn't be making his share of big plays right now as he and his running mates grew into the defense.

GO BILLS!!!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We gave Parker permission to find a trading partner even BEFORE the '12 season ended and it was apparent they were gonna test the market (and who could blame them?). There weren't teams lining up to talk to them. As a matter of fact, there wasn't a huge amount of interest in Byrd as a free agent when he was on the market. I think Parker played N.O. perfectly.

That said, this idea that he's a huge FA bust is absurd. He's injured for crissakes. It's also absurd to point to a couple plays he gave up before he was injured as well. Contrary to PFF and others, Byrd gave up big plays as a Bill since his rookie year and that's nothing new. But if he stayed healthy there is not reason to believe he wouldn't be making his share of big plays right now as he and his running mates grew into the defense.

GO BILLS!!!

Why is it absurd to point out his absence from the field? Durability counts.

GO BILLS!!!

I think "free agent bust" is vague in its meaning. If you look at it like, "what was the purpose of the signing," then it makes more sense.

He got a ton of money up front so he could play in the next 2 years while the Saints ride out Brees' career. Him being hurt for one year really screws up that plan. It has more to do with the circumstances surrounding the FA deal.

Edited by FireChan

Byrd was a great player. He single-handily won games for Buffalo. No one can predict injury. This thread amounts to nothing more than sour grapes.

IFFFFFF the Bills didn't know about his back issues prior.

I am betting he had played thru pain in his back for a while and still performed at a high level. After signing a new big deal he went ahead and had this fixed and was healthy for the first time, perhaps, in a while. No telling how long his back bothered him. But, he came back and got hurt somewhere else.

I am betting the Bills knew about his back issue prior.

IFFFFFF the Bills didn't know about his back issues prior.

I am betting he had played thru pain in his back for a while and still performed at a high level. After signing a new big deal he went ahead and had this fixed and was healthy for the first time, perhaps, in a while. No telling how long his back bothered him. But, he came back and got hurt somewhere else.

I am betting the Bills knew about his back issue prior.

Wouldn't shock me- we as fans knew little at the time about his PF or Levitres knee but both were getting shots in 2012

Why is it absurd to point out his absence from the field? Durability counts.

Getting cleaned up in the offseason is standard issue for many- a single random injury doesn't prove durability issues. With time it may go that direction but at this point it's a bit extreme to pretend it's clear he will never contribute. He might play every game the rest of the contract for all we know.

GO BILLS!!!

I feel like that pre-2012 statement is a new one around here?