Manning, Brady, and Orton... it's all mental!

I think the biggest reason Manning struggles against the Patriots* is mental, an issue that Orton will not have.

Hear me out...

Manning always has the stats. He always has these gaudy numbers, and plays on teams right at the top of the NFL standings. As a #1 overall pick, he's supposed to always win. He always comes into the New England* game having set some record or having thrown for tons of yards and TDs and the EXPECTATION is that he will win there. If he does, he can check the box. If he doesn't, he is a choker. Can't win the big one. A fraud. Etc.

Brady always comes into these games (almost always at home) with a chip on his shoulder. His entire career has been that he was a nobody who made it big. His whole career he's been playing with house money. One thing the Patriots* are better at than anyone I've ever seen is convincing themselves that they are the underdogs, regardless of the situation, and they play like it. If they lose to Manning, hey, it's PFM and Denver is loaded, what can you do. We're on to Indy. If they win it's "Brady is the GOAT."

This, more than anything else, is why Manning loses these games IMO. Brady's demeanor is that he is looking to prove something and wants to have a crack at Manning's team. Manning's entire demeanor is "don't screw up... don't screw up... don't screw up... can't lose this... CAN NOT LOSE THIS!"

The results are predictable. Tight players screw up where they normally would not. Loose players go out and wing it, and help their teammates stay loose as well. Tight players have the ball hit them right between the 8 and the 3 only to have it bounce right into a Patriot* player's hands for a pick and an easy TD.

Here's where Orton comes in. He's also playing with house money. The guy just isn't rattled. His career was already as good as over. Nobody expects the moon from him. anything he does now is icing on the cake. If he fails, nobody will notice or care. But if he WINS here he's a hero!

It is not that Orton is more talented than Manning, because he is not. But what he DOES have is what you MUST have to beat New England*: he just plain doesn't get tight. Teams that beat them just go out and play football without letting them get into their heads. Orton has the advantage of low expectations.

If you doubt this theory, explain what happened to New England* in the 1st Giants Super Bowl. Greatest offense of ALL TIME and they got 14 points. Why?

Expectations. They got tight about 18-0. "We CANNOT screw this up. This is history!"

Meanwhile, the Giants were playing with house money. If the lost who would blame them or criticize them? But if they WON it would be a story for years.

So much of football is mental. Orton gives us a huge advantage in the rematch because he just doesn't give a crap. In a good way.

I think the biggest reason Manning struggles against the Patriots* is mental, an issue that Orton will not have.

Hear me out...

Manning always has the stats. He always has these gaudy numbers, and plays on teams right at the top of the NFL standings. As a #1 overall pick, he's supposed to always win. He always comes into the New England* game having set some record or having thrown for tons of yards and TDs and the EXPECTATION is that he will win there. If he does, he can check the box. If he doesn't, he is a choker. Can't win the big one. A fraud. Etc.

Brady always comes into these games (almost always at home) with a chip on his shoulder. His entire career has been that he was a nobody who made it big. His whole career he's been playing with house money. One thing the Patriots* are better at than anyone I've ever seen is convincing themselves that they are the underdogs, regardless of the situation, and they play like it. If they lose to Manning, hey, it's PFM and Denver is loaded, what can you do. We're on to Indy. If they win it's "Brady is the GOAT."

not to poop on your parade and umpteenth Orton is God thread...

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2014101201/2014/REG6/patriots@bills

Please explain how Orton lost to the Cheaters in Buffalo if as you say it's all mental?

He doesn't HAVE to beat them but he has the key ingredient to beating them: he doesn't give a crap about the hype

They are still going to beat most teams most days for the next 50 years (at least it feels like it) but IF you are going to beat them you NEED to just treat them like you would the Steelers, Colts, Packers, etc.

A good team that you want a crack at. Orton will do that. Manning will out think himself and treat it like a Super Bowl.

1. Early patriots had excellent defenses that stopped Manning in the playoffs. The giants defense played lights out that year, also shutting down Romo and intercepting Favre in crunch time. Defense matters.

2. Notice that Brady and Manning are 2-2 against eachother in the playoffs--with the home team winning all the games. Manning has traditionally played poorly in cold weather--especially in New England. He lit them up in the two playoff games that were played at home.

3. The whole "don't screw this up mentality" doesn't explain why Brady won superbowls when they went 14-2 or why Peyton won his first superbowl. Wouldn't you think Brady would be afraid to "screw up" having a top seed or Manning would be afraid to "screw up" his first chance at a title, knowing there's no guarantee he'd ever get back there?

The Patriots have played Denver every year since 2011, and have beaten them every year. In 2011 they played in Denver, and won. That year the Broncos didn't have Manning, and instead had Tebow.

2012 at NE

2013 at NE

2014 at NE

Things might have been different for the Patriots playing in Mile high stadium against the Broncos with Manning the last 3 years. Plus, the NY Giants in that super bowl managed to rattle Brady, and get to him with their pass rush. Just like the Dolphins, and Chiefs did this year and made him look horrible. The Broncos have a great outside rush with Ware & Von Miller but have difficulty in getting pressure up the middle to keep Brady from stepping up in the pocket. If Brady stays comfortable in the pocket then you are going to need to score a ton of points to even keep up with them.

So far it looks like no team has an answer for Gronkowski, and when they roll coverage's to him Brady finds Edelman, and when they cover him Brady goes to LaFell, and so on, and so on.

While I agree that its all mental as in Bill Belichick out game planning Manning and his audible nuances. Belichick watches more game film then any other team, and he learns all his plays, play calls, and where his receivers are going to be.

The current staff of Buffalo Bills coaches might technically be in the same league Bill Belichick, and his staff. They aren't even close to the same level of ability, and until that changes....

Hear me out...

This, more than anything else, is why Manning loses these games IMO.

I completely agree that the reason Manning loses vs. Brady is mental. I think that Brady is in Manning's head in a bad way and makes Manning play less than he is capable of.

I disagree with your assessment of Brady though. I think he thinks his crap doesn't stink. He is very good at regaining his confidence even after he has played a bad quarter or bad half. I think that is what makes Brady the superior quarterback. His ability to get back on track quickly is a very rare trait.

not to poop on your parade and umpteenth Orton is God thread...

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2014101201/2014/REG6/patriots@bills

Please explain how Orton lost to the Cheaters in Buffalo if as you say it's all mental?

The defense failed MISERABLY that game. They were weak in the secondary without A Williams. Will be a better game with A Williams back there. Maybe a possible win

He doesn't HAVE to beat them but he has the key ingredient to beating them: he doesn't give a crap about the hype

They are still going to beat most teams most days for the next 50 years (at least it feels like it) but IF you are going to beat them you NEED to just treat them like you would the Steelers, Colts, Packers, etc.

A good team that you want a crack at. Orton will do that. Manning will out think himself and treat it like a Super Bowl.

lets agree to disagree but Orton has to defeat the Patriots to be the named uncontested starter in Buffalo and to have any chance to advance in the playoffs.

The defense failed MISERABLY that game. They were weak in the secondary without A Williams. Will be a better game with A Williams back there. Maybe a possible win

blame the D and not the O?

Gotcha.

mark.gifIs Kyle Orton Bills’ QB of the future? [1:58 AM]

I guess Brady is that good - look at the receivers he's had throughout the years. Some good, some very good but he's won with them all. Then there's the coaching - look what happened when Brady got hurt, they inserted another QB (name escapes me) and they won anyway in convincing fashion. The combination of Brady and top level coaching make them very, very hard to beat. Our above average QB and below average offensive coaching won't get the job done against New England unless we're at the very top of our game and they are at a low point.