About J.P.

DreamOnDan

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion, Drew Bledsoe wasn't ready for over half of the games this season, and he's a seasoned veteran.

224691[/snapback]

You could also say that he wasn't mentally "ready" for a good portion of the games this season (or last, or the year before), too.

So, as jarthur pointed out, a QB needs to be mentally ready. This is something I've always argued that is the most important aspect of the quarterback position.

People think that because this will be Losman's first year he will be less mentally ready. I contend that he'll be at least as mentally ready as our incumbent, who has proved that he is incapable of being a consistent mental star. Futhermore, I think Losman actually increases our playoff chances right away.

But we won't know until we know, will we?

Does anybody actually think that he needs to be "ready"?  First off what the heck is ready anyway?  To me, ready is...... Does he have 2 feet?, Can he throw the ball?  Is there anything going on under that Cali-surfer haircut of his?  Other than that what matters?  There is no doubt that he is going to make rookie mistakes.  Sitting on the sidelines isn't going to change that.  The fact of the matter is that J.P. cost the Bills a 1st, 2nd, and 5th rd pick.  THat is a lot!  That is the kind of price you pay for Jim Kelly.  The only way that J.P. doesn't start is if Bledsoe had a season better than ever, ever, that is right ever.  Even Drew Bledsoe in his prime wasn't worth a 1st, 2nd, and 5th.  I don't really know what is going on but I was just thinking about the business aspects of football.  Bledsoe is GONE!

224544[/snapback]

A few footballphiles recently produced a study which looked at the performance (based on receptions, yardage, TD passes etc( looking at the performance of first round QB draft choices over the past 10 tyears and whether starting them right away or sitting them had any effect (I didn't save the link but will try to find it).

Not surprisingly to me they found that there was no single timeframe for having a QB start which dictated success in most or all cases. There are simply too many examples of folks like Manning who played well from the start (though the team's W/L remained 3/13) or even RoboQB this year and many examples of the Pennington's who even sat for two years and then QB'ed them to the playoffs or Brady who sat for a year and won the SB is second year and first as a starter.

Surprisingly even to me though was that they found that though there was no one way that their statistics clearly showed that QBs who sat a year tended to perform better later in their careers as opposed to players who were started quickly.

The described a number of factors such as bad teams tend to want need a new QB quickly so the bad records associated with players started quickly may have more to do with them playing for bad teams.

However, I think that the convenitional wisdom that QBs ONLY can learn by playing is simply wrong in many cases. Real life anecdotes from some QBs support this view as when Raven's QB Kyle Boller said during interviews in the 04 draft that he was surprised to find when he was forced to the bench by injury after starting to find that there actually were things he could learn from the bench we he could not learn as well why playing.

I think this observation makes sense as when you are playing, in order to perform you focus on the next play and only even think about past plays to the extent you may choose to stay away from a platy which failed or go back to something that worked. In fact it is often said the best QBs have incredibly short memories not getting too hung up or beating themselves up about plays which did not work or getting too over-confident and too predictable in celebrating stuff that woked.

At any rate it depends upon the individual.

JP strikes me as actually have a unique opportunity to profit from his injury forced benching as it provided an early opportunity to do what folks are calling for him to do this offseason which is to become Sam Wvche's adopted son and soak things up from this former HC.

Why don't we just wait and see what happens during this off-season. Losman will be resuming his work at OBD within a couple weeks. Sam Wyche will be his constant companion in the film room and the Wilson Fieldhouse. Keep things in perspective. Rumors and opinions don't mean much of anything, at this point.

The Bills know what #11 brings to the table, which is why alternatives are being considered as we speak. What happens during March Free Agency and the April Draft will answer most all our questions. Until then, we're just throwing darts and know very little, if anything.

Playbook?  Playbook?  Oh, that is what "ready" means.  Oh I feel so much better.  I was really racking the brain on what this ready talk is.  Playbook, ha you have got to be kidding.  He memorized the playbook before his first practice.  Just like every single other NFL player.  :)

224550[/snapback]

FYI, the playbooks in the NFL are a little more intricate than the playbooks they use in madden.....

And from someone in football that I know, this is false.  They are concerned about his mental ability, physical stature, and ability to throw.  Not sure if was release, but from what the insider told me was the broken leg had an impact as he could not learn to throw and step properly and it was holding him back.  The inside info I have, and again it comes from a real NFL insider, there is doubts that Losman will ever make it onto the field as a starter.  Whether it is Bledsoe, Warner, Kita, or someone else, the inside info I have said the Bills are looking elsewhere because they doubt Jp's ability. 

But I guess we'll wait and see.

224656[/snapback]

this has to be a joke....please....tell me you're just stirring the pot... :D:lol::)

And from someone in football that I know, this is false.  They are concerned about his mental ability, physical stature, and ability to throw.  Not sure if was release, but from what the insider told me was the broken leg had an impact as he could not learn to throw and step properly and it was holding him back.  The inside info I have, and again it comes from a real NFL insider, there is doubts that Losman will ever make it onto the field as a starter.  Whether it is Bledsoe, Warner, Kita, or someone else, the inside info I have said the Bills are looking elsewhere because they doubt Jp's ability. 

224656[/snapback]

If that's the case, then TD should be taken out behind the stadium and summarily shot. Because he gave up a HELL of a lot for that kid. He'd better work or the franchise is FORKED.

If that's the case, then TD should be taken out behind the stadium and summarily shot. Because he gave up a HELL of a lot for that kid. He'd better work or the franchise is FORKED.

224783[/snapback]

What did he give up? A second and a 5th. Jp was a late round 1st rounder.

224656[/snapback]

This assertion sounds rather unlikely to me. Actually, it sounds ridiculous.

If the Bills had issues with JPs stature and throwing ability, like the supposed expert says, he would not have been the object of our desire. Say what you will about TD, he is not a flaming idiot, nor is Modrak and M&M for that matter. Yes, JPs injury may have set him back in his throwing motion, but to label him a "bust" in everything but name is boarderline outragious.

It sounds like your NFL "insider" has his own agenda - the most likely being that he was of the same mind as all the other "lemmings" out there who wrote JP off because he was a "head-case" and not the fiery competitor the Bills brass believe him to be.

In any event, such insights as yours and Buftex's are greatly appreciated. It is all too infrequent these days to find actual football info on here.

224656[/snapback]

I am not saying you are wrong, VA (you're reporting a source which is cool and helpful) but the guy who told you this doesn't have a clue. Here's why:

1) JP will be on the field as a starter. It doesn't matter if he's in a wheelchair, at somepoint JP will start for the Buffalo Bills. The fact that he was a first round pick demands that he gets the opportunity to start at somepoint. There isn't a team in the NFL that drafts a guy (at any position, much less QB) in the first round and doesn't give him the opportunity to start before cutting and running. Will that be this year? I don't know, but at some point JP will start.

2) Since point number 1 is a fact (not opinion, FACT) there is no possible way anyone at OBD would be doubting JP's ability publicly. None. Could they be thinking that? Sure. But no one would say it out loud, even to other coaches because there is too much at stake with him being a First Rounder who the Bills MOVED UP TO GET. They would instead, bite their tongue (out of fear of crippling the kid's psyche) and wait for him to stink it up on the field before making any such claims.

3) Thus, unless your source is a coach on the Bills (and I'm not asking you to reveal who it is, that would be unfair) there is no way he could come around to the conclusion that the Bills are looking 'in another direction' unless he is just full of sh--.

224656[/snapback]

That is a mighty bold statement VA....

You are either going to look like someone with really good inside info....or a bonafide goat..... :D

That is a mighty bold statement VA....

You are either going to look like someone with really good inside info....or a bonafide goat..... :D

225162[/snapback]

Nah, it's not VA's fault (in my opinion). He's sharing inside info. It's not HIS info. I think it's cool to share that stuff, I just don't think his source on this particular topic knows what he is talking about.

See: Tom Brady, Chad Pennington, and Eli Manning.

Manning is a perfect example of what happens when you rush a rookie. BRady and Pennington are when you don't.

224551[/snapback]

rolly, help me out. Didn't Brady sit one year before leading his team to the SB, just like Losman? And shouldn't we give Manning another season before judging him a bust - or that playing him before he was ready might've helped his progress? The point is you can find examples any which way, but the majority of cases show that Losman should be ready to contribute this year.

224656[/snapback]

:D:angry::angry::(

Yeah, is this the same "real NFL Insider" that thinks we'll be lucky to get anything for Travis Henry????

Do us all a favor and spare us from this idiots "inside" information. I have a feeling that he scouts for the Redskins, a team that has been the worst in the NFL at finding draft picks and productive free agents to help their team.

In my opinion, Drew Bledsoe wasn't ready for over half of the games this season, and he's a seasoned veteran.

224691[/snapback]

I agree. The problem with Bledsoe is after the season he always went home,and forgot about football. If he had spent the offseason trying to improve,he may have reached his potential and the hall of fame. Let's hope J.P. is more like Brady than Bledsoe in that regard.

I agree. The problem with Bledsoe is after the season he always went home,and forgot about football. If he had spent the offseason trying to improve,he may have reached his potential and the hall of fame. Let's hope J.P. is more like Brady than Bledsoe in that regard.

225337[/snapback]

Yeah nevermind the fact that MM Bledsoe's boss told him to go home and rest for a month.