Should Entertainers Be Paid for Benefits?

Gugny

Should Entertainment Be Paid for Fundraisers  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Should a band/performer ever be paid to play a fundraiser/benefit?

• Yes - Time is money. If they charge a discounted rate, that's cool.
    • No - It's a fundraiser. All monies should go to the beneficiary.

I'm helping to organize a fundraiser to raise money for homeless veterans. I asked a guitarist from a local band if they'd be available. His first question, "Last time they threw us some dough. Is that still part of the budget?"

I was pissed.

I've been in bands, on and off, for the past 20+ years. I've played MANY benefits/fundraisers. Not only was I never given money ... I was never offered money and I never asked for money.

It's a BENEFIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So ... what do you think? Should it be a given that the band plays for free? Keep in mind, please, I'm not asking Bruno Mars or Maroon 5 to play ... these are just local bar bands I'm hitting up. And I'm not raising money for a class trip; this is for homeless veterans.

The band will have all they can eat for free and the bar is kicking in one beer/guy/set.

Thanks for opining!!

I think it's reasonable to at least pay for their expenses if any, and provide free food and drink. As far as them making a profit, only if they had to give up another profitable engagement to do the benefit. It also depends on how popular they are. Would they attract enough people to cover their cost and still net more than if they weren't there.

I think it's reasonable to at least pay for their expenses if any, and provide free food and drink. As far as them making a profit, only if they had to give up another profitable engagement to do the benefit. It also depends on how popular they are. Would they attract enough people to cover their cost and still net more than if they weren't there.

Should have mentioned that. Free food is an absolute. And the bar will kick in one beer/guy/set.

It's charity. It's voluntary by definition. If they want to donate their time, good for them. If they don't...get a different band.

You can't really force (or expect) people to make charitable donations, so it makes little sense to get pissed when they don't.

It's charity. It's voluntary by definition. If they want to donate their time, good for them. If they don't...get a different band.

You can't really force (or expect) people to make charitable donations, so it makes little sense to get pissed when they don't.

I guess I got pissed because the guy who asked about the "dough" is a friend and his WWII veteran father recently passed. So yes ... I absolutely expected him to donate his band's time. But I get the gist of what you wrote.

Incidentally, I did find another band through another local music contact. The band member who agreed to do it did not ask for money. When he told the band, one of the members said he wanted money to cover his gas. He was told that he would be subbed for if he wanted money.

That's doing the right thing.

If the band is paid to perform, they should be declaring it as taxable income, right? :D

If they donate their time, they can deduct their band fees and expenses they would have earned for a paying gig.

If they can and they want to donate their time, great. If not, it is a free choice. Do not get upset.

Every year I walk and collect money for MS. I am SO thankful for donations, but NEVER get upset if someone does not sponsor me.

If the band is paid to perform, they should be declaring it as taxable income, right? :D

If they donate their time, they can deduct their band fees and expenses they would have earned for a paying gig.

If they can and they want to donate their time, great. If not, it is a free choice. Do not get upset.

Every year I walk and collect money for MS. I am SO thankful for donations, but NEVER get upset if someone does not sponsor me.

I get this, Rockpile, and I do not disagree with you.

My beef isn't the people that won't pony up the $20 to attend the event, though. I get that. Money is a lot more difficult to come up with/part with than time.

As a performer/band, the 4-hour time investment has returns. They are making the bar owners happy. If they are new, they are auditioning for the bar owners. They're getting exposure. They're getting free advertisement. If they have merch, they can sell it and donate a % to the event's cause. They will have a great reputation as a band who GIVES.

That's a lot of perks for giving up a few hundred bucks.

This event is on a Saturday afternoon. There is band playing there that night. I extended the offer to them to play for 2-3 hours in the afternoon for the benefit. They'd be set up early. It would get their soundcheck out of the way and it could even be a good opportunity to polish some new stuff if they had it.

They refused unless they got additional money. Mind you, they're already gonna get paid for their evening gig. They'd already have to be there; have to set up; have to tear down. And they still wanted more money.

Guess what ... they'll never play at that bar again because the bar owner is disgusted.