Jeremy White: All-22 Review - Bills at Jets

JW: All-22 Review - Bills/Jets

The Bills blowout win over the Jets came with a season-high five touchdowns. It also brought out an awful lot of criticism for the conservative nature of the offensive game plan. Maybe it wasn't as conservative as you think? Jeremy White tackles that, Kraig Urbik's return, and Sammy's latest "WOW" move in this week's All-22 Review.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Required reading for folks upset about Hackett.

I don't know about that. The first point he makes is Sammy is unstoppable and the Bills should target him more.

Which is what the Hackett detractors are saying.

His next point is, look at how good this pass play worked on first down to Woods.

Which is what the Hackett detractors are saying, throw more on first down.

Then he shows more pass plays that were awesome.

Ummmm...

Meh…I understand running the ball doesn't kill your QB when you have the lead.

You can still mix it up with some other things. I do not buy the rationale that you just send your RBs into the C/G hole because you're sitting on the lead.

3-outs are a great way to tempt fate and have the other team catch your lead.

Edited by filthymcnasty08

I don't know about that. The first point he makes is Sammy is unstoppable and the Bills should target him more.

Which is what the Hackett detractors are saying.

His next point is, look at how good this pass play worked on first down to Woods.

Which is what the Hackett detractors are saying, throw more on first down.

Then he shows more pass plays that were awesome.

Ummmm...

You missed a few.

"He's too predictable"

Addressed in the All-22.

"He played too conservative"

Addressed in the All-22

"He sucks!!!!11!1!1!one!!111!!!!!eleven!!1!!!"

No comment.

Edited by FireChan

You missed a few.

"He's too predictable"

Addressed in the All-22.

"He played too conservative"

Addressed in the All-22

"He sucks!!!!11!1!1!one!!111!!!!!eleven!!1!!!"

No comment.

It's not addressing the issues and combating the criticisms when your examples support the opposition. :lol: The complainers are saying he should have passed more and should have done more of exactly the things that Jwhite was showing worked, which if they would have, would have won the game earlier and easier.

It's not addressing the issues and combating the criticisms when your examples support the opposition. :lol: The complainers are saying he should have passed more and should have done more of exactly the things that Jwhite was showing worked, which if they would have, would have won the game earlier and easier.

That's not what I'm saying. There's a difference between reasonably complaining about philosophy (which you, and a few others do) and what the vocal majority complains about.

That's not what I'm saying. There's a difference between reasonably complaining about philosophy (which you, and a few others do) and what the vocal majority complains about.

True. I was laughing though when I was reading that. Not even the biggest myopic idiot who argues that Hackett is too predictable actually thinks that every single play is predictable. Or that there are not a couple plays over the course of the game that were unpredictable, no matter how unreasonable they are.

White seemed to me to be saying "Look! Here are three plays when he wasn't predictable!" and they were all great gains. Which would make the complainers that he is too predictable not say, "Oh now I see, Jeremy! You're right!" But rather, "Exactly! Look at how great we did when we weren't so predictable! We should do that over and over, not the stupid runs!"

True. I was laughing though when I was reading that. Not even the biggest myopic idiot who argues that Hackett is too predictable actually thinks that every single play is predictable. Or that there are not a couple plays over the course of the game that were unpredictable, no matter how unreasonable they are.

White seemed to me to be saying "Look! Here are three plays when he wasn't predictable!" and they were all great gains. Which would make the complainers that he is too predictable not say, "Oh now I see, Jeremy! You're right!" But rather, "Exactly! Look at how great we did when we weren't so predictable! We should do that over and over, not the stupid runs!"

Which would be....predictable? OK. I'm done here.

He says they werent conservative and his examples are from the first couple drives when we were in fact not conservative. He shows our throws deep which resulted in touchdowns, praising them even as examples of great plays. Then he doesnt mention anything about the 5 possessions where we didnt get a first down despite only being up by 7, 10 or 13 points. Talking about "playing with a lead"...really? Just in the second quarter Vick marched right down the field and scored a TD, youre going to convince me that we were totally fine run, run, passing it with a 10 point lead? That is bogus. If those throws early were working so well, and Sammy was so awesome how can you justify completely ignoring him until the 4th qurater?

I usually really like Jeremy but this one didnt do anything to change my mind. Im not in the first Hackett camp, but I am in the " I want to see more fire power...soon" camp.

Which would be....predictable? OK. I'm done here.

Predictable when something is working is good. That is commonly referred to as :worthy: doing it until they show they can stop us.

Predictable when something is not working is bad. That is commonly referred to as :wallbash: start trying something else, like the thing that works.

Not to mention that I haven't seen anyone say we shouldn't run. Only that we shouldn't run, run, pass.

This article touches on how we were conservative with the "lead" and thus "smart". What happens when the game is "close" is as follows:

1st Quarter Plays called (run/pass):

1st possession: Tie game: 0-0 – Run, Run, Pass – Incomplete but penalty gives us first down to continue drive. Then Pass, Pass, Pass, Pass (sack), Pass – TD.

2nd possession: Winning: 7-0 – Run, Pass, Pass – Punt

3rd possession: Winning: 7-0 – Run, Run, Pass – Punt (Are we protecting this lead already?)

4th possession: Winning: 7-0 – We get the ball at Jets 1 yd line: Pass – TD

2nd Quarter plays called (run/pass):

5th possession: Winning: 14 – 7 – Pass, Run, Pass (84yd bomb), Run, Run – TD

6th possession: Winning: 21 – 7 – Run, Pass, Pass – Punt (No complaints)

7th possession: Winning 21 – 7 – Run, Run, Pass – FG (It’s the 2nd quarter of an NFL game – too early to protect anything - Horrible)

8th possession: Winning 24 – 14 – Run, Pass, Run – Punt (We’re up 10 pts in the 2nd quarter – are we really protecting anything in the 2nd quarter of an NFL game? - Horrible)

3rd Quarter plays called (run/pass):

9th possession: Winning 24 – 17 – Pass, Run, Pass – Punt

10th possession: Winning 24 – 17 – Run, Run, Pass – FG (Up 1 score in the 3rd quarter – what exactly are we “protecting” early in the 3rd quarter of a game? – Horrible)

11th possession: Winning 27 – 17 – Run, Run, Pass – Punt (we’re up a wopping 10 points in the 3rd quarter and we’re “protecting” here? – Horrible)

12th possession: Winning 27 – 17 – Run, Run, Pass – FG (AGAIN – we’re up 10pts in the 3rd quarter and still protecting that insurmountable lead – Horrible)

13th possession: Winning 30 – 17 – Run (end of quarter)

4th Quarter plays called (run/pass):

13th possession (cont’d): Winning 30 – 17 – Run, Pass – TD

14th possession: Winning 37 – 17 (OK, now it’s the 4th quarter and you’re up more than two scores – now is the time where you just “protect” the score, IMO) – Run, Run, Run, Run, Pass (61yds) – TD

15th possession: Winning 43 – 23 – Run, Run, Run, Run, Run, Kneel. Game OVER.

Look at the above for 1 minute and think about what you’re looking at. I bolded the 3rd quarter b/c that was the KEY quarter that was a complete abomination of play calling. We are up by a whopping 7 points and 10 points and look at our play calling. Are we really protecting a 7 point lead to start the 3rd quarter? Are we really protecting a 10 point lead, ON THE ROAD, midway through the 3rd quarter? It’s 7 and 10 pts, not 21 and 24 points.

Look at the 2nd quarter too. What are we possibly “protecting” in the 2nd quarter of a game when the other team is still within 2 scores. It wasn’t 35 – 3 in the 2nd quarter.

Prior to the game being completely out of control in the 4th quarter at 37 – 17, the play calling had already been an abomination – and that’s the problem. Out of 13 drives prior to the game being out of control in the 4th quarter – NH called Run, Run, Pass 7 times.

Predictability. Lack of creativity. That's this offense's problem. We won and that's freaking awesome. We also had 6 turnovers which happens about once every 3-5years maybe. If we're going to continue to improve as a team, we need to improve the play calling. That's all I'm saying with respect to NH.

This article touches on how we were conservative with the "lead" and thus "smart". What happens when the game is "close" is as follows:

1st Quarter Plays called (run/pass):

1st possession: Tie game: 0-0 – Run, Run, Pass – Incomplete but penalty gives us first down to continue drive. Then Pass, Pass, Pass, Pass (sack), Pass – TD.

2nd possession: Winning: 7-0 – Run, Pass, Pass – Punt

3rd possession: Winning: 7-0 – Run, Run, Pass – Punt (Are we protecting this lead already?)

4th possession: Winning: 7-0 – We get the ball at Jets 1 yd line: Pass – TD

2nd Quarter plays called (run/pass):

5th possession: Winning: 14 – 7 – Pass, Run, Pass (84yd bomb), Run, Run – TD

6th possession: Winning: 21 – 7 – Run, Pass, Pass – Punt (No complaints)

7th possession: Winning 21 – 7 – Run, Run, Pass – FG (It’s the 2nd quarter of an NFL game – too early to protect anything - Horrible)

8th possession: Winning 24 – 14 – Run, Pass, Run – Punt (We’re up 10 pts in the 2nd quarter – are we really protecting anything in the 2nd quarter of an NFL game? - Horrible)

3rd Quarter plays called (run/pass):

9th possession: Winning 24 – 17 – Pass, Run, Pass – Punt

10th possession: Winning 24 – 17 – Run, Run, Pass – FG (Up 1 score in the 3rd quarter – what exactly are we “protecting” early in the 3rd quarter of a game? – Horrible)

11th possession: Winning 27 – 17 – Run, Run, Pass – Punt (we’re up a wopping 10 points in the 3rd quarter and we’re “protecting” here? – Horrible)

12th possession: Winning 27 – 17 – Run, Run, Pass – FG (AGAIN – we’re up 10pts in the 3rd quarter and still protecting that insurmountable lead – Horrible)

13th possession: Winning 30 – 17 – Run (end of quarter)

4th Quarter plays called (run/pass):

13th possession (cont’d): Winning 30 – 17 – Run, Pass – TD

14th possession: Winning 37 – 17 (OK, now it’s the 4th quarter and you’re up more than two scores – now is the time where you just “protect” the score, IMO) – Run, Run, Run, Run, Pass (61yds) – TD

15th possession: Winning 43 – 23 – Run, Run, Run, Run, Run, Kneel. Game OVER.

Look at the above for 1 minute and think about what you’re looking at. I bolded the 3rd quarter b/c that was the KEY quarter that was a complete abomination of play calling. We are up by a whopping 7 points and 10 points and look at our play calling. Are we really protecting a 7 point lead to start the 3rd quarter? Are we really protecting a 10 point lead, ON THE ROAD, midway through the 3rd quarter? It’s 7 and 10 pts, not 21 and 24 points.

Look at the 2nd quarter too. What are we possibly “protecting” in the 2nd quarter of a game when the other team is still within 2 scores. It wasn’t 35 – 3 in the 2nd quarter.

Prior to the game being completely out of control in the 4th quarter at 37 – 17, the play calling had already been an abomination – and that’s the problem. Out of 13 drives prior to the game being out of control in the 4th quarter – NH called Run, Run, Pass 7 times.

Predictability. Lack of creativity. That's this offense's problem. We won and that's freaking awesome. We also had 6 turnovers which happens about once every 3-5years maybe. If we're going to continue to improve as a team, we need to improve the play calling. That's all I'm saying with respect to NH.

What if the QB audibled? Happens a lot. Complaining about play calling when you dont know the play call is hard to do.

Edited by TheTruthHurts