Hackett is bad, like very bad

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, that's the knock on Orton. He's great at moving the ball between the 20s. Here are the teams we're ahead of in scoring: Jags, Raiders, Vikes, Jets, and Titans. We're not last!!!

Way to move the goal posts. And no thats not the knock on Orton at all. With Orton at QB he's 7 for 11 with 4 TD's in the redzone. The team has scored 5 TD's in 8 attempts in the redzone. 2 of those were fumbles from this past game. Care to try again?

Worry about the OL coach who should be fired too

Every group except the receivers look worse. But they need to keep Wheatley because his son is a beast at Canisius. :)

Way to move the goal posts. And no thats not the knock on Orton at all. With Orton at QB he's 7 for 11 with 4 TD's in the redzone. The team has scored 5 TD's in 8 attempts in the redzone. 2 of those were fumbles from this past game. Care to try again?

17, 22, 17. Is that good enough? 1 touchdown (4th quarter), 3 touchdowns, and 2 touchdowns (barely). I know we're Bills' fans and not allowed to have high standards but that's bad offense.

Orton is 28th in QBR. It's an improvement over Manuel, so we went from 32th to 28th. Let's party! :) Demand more.

And this is the discussion when they WIN !?

I'll be concerned about Hackett when the PLAYERS don't turn the ball over 3 to 4 times and they only put up 13 points. Until then, I don't see anything that overly concerns me from the OC.

Every group except the receivers look worse. But they need to keep Wheatley because his son is a beast at Canisius. :)

17, 22, 17. Is that good enough? 1 touchdown (4th quarter), 3 touchdowns, and 2 touchdowns (barely). I know we're Bills' fans and not allowed to have high standards but that's bad offense.

Orton is 28th in QBR. It's an improvement over Manuel, so we went from 32th to 28th. Let's party! :) Demand more.

You keep moving the goalposts again and again. Detroit is the #1 defense, they SHUT DOWN Aaron Rodgers. What did you expect against them? Not to mention it was Kyle Orton's first start. New England game was completely lost on the Defense in the 2nd half. They folded. And this past weekend, as I've said before, they lost out on points in the redzone because of fumbles in the redzone. It could have been 4 TD's this week without those fumbles, who know.

Anyways, I'm done.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

you call that experience? i'm talking 20 years of experience like a Norv Turner or Mike Shanahan. with Pegula we can afford to get anyone we want. bye bye Hack-job

LOL Shanahan. You don't even believe that BS, do you?

You keep moving the goalposts again and again. Detroit is the #1 defense, they SHUT DOWN Aaron Rodgers. What did you expect against them? Not to mention it was Kyle Orton's first start. New England game was completely lost on the Defense in the 2nd half. They folded. And this past weekend, as I've said before, they lost out on points in the redzone because of fumbles in the redzone. It could have been 4 TD's this week without those fumbles, who know.

Anyways, I'm done.

And that's what will happen more if you force them to win games. They won the Detroit game because we gave up a pick 6 and didn't score a td until the 4th quarter. The won the Minnesota game with INTs and stopping the Vikes from putting up more than 16 points when we scored 10 points all game.

It needs to improve and hopefully, it will.

I'm not sure what to make of Hackett, but I'll go along with the fact that he is not a great coordinator. BUT, then why on earth would Marrone attach himself to this guy? Obviously he trusts him and likes him ... but why? I guess Marrone can be loyal to a fault. Head coaching jobs are few and far between ... why attach your legacy and job to an unproven candidate? Hackett appears to be the weak link in the armor.

I think one of Hackett's biggest faults is that he is not calling enough plays to take a shot deep. We saw it a couple of times this passed week, but in my opinion we need to see it a lot more. Teams still disrespect the Bills' deep threat. And it seems like teams are really capitalizing on the penalties that these deep shots often draw.

If the Bills made teams worry about getting beat deep, I think we would see better production from the running game and from the short passing game.

Hackett has a tendency to call ultra-conservative plays to start series - the infamous run, run, short pass. I wish he would turn one of those runs into (take a shot deep).

I'm not sure what to make of Hackett, but I'll go along with the fact that he is not a great coordinator. BUT, then why on earth would Marrone attach himself to this guy? Obviously he trusts him and likes him ... but why? I guess Marrone can be loyal to a fault. Head coaching jobs are few and far between ... why attach your legacy and job to an unproven candidate? Hackett appears to be the weak link in the armor.

A new head coach is as good as the staff he can attract. On defense, it obviously hasn't been an issue. There's ton's of talent here and people around the league will attach themselves to this unit to advance their careers (or in JS case, resuscitate it). Our offense, w/o a QB is obviously not an attractive place.

Coaches are loyal to a fault. If I was a first time NFL coach, I'd hire an experience NFL coordinator. Gailey's downfall was he was loyal to bad DCs.

I think one of Hackett's biggest faults is that he is not calling enough plays to take a shot deep. We saw it a couple of times this passed week, but in my opinion we need to see it a lot more. Teams still disrespect the Bills' deep threat. And it seems like teams are really capitalizing on the penalties that these deep shots often draw.

If the Bills made teams worry about getting beat deep, I think we would see better production from the running game and from the short passing game.

Hackett has a tendency to call ultra-conservative plays to start series - the infamous run, run, short pass. I wish he would turn one of those runs into (take a shot deep).

I agree with this. Personally, I'd throw deep every 3 series. The worst thing that happens is it ends up as a long punt. But given the way the NFL calls penalties, it could be a huge penalty or completion.

The Vikes have given up 30, 28, and 42 points in games this year. The Pats have given up 33, 41, and 25 in games this year. We helped those defense lower their points per game average.

Why is it so crazy to think that maybe the guy who was a Syracuse OC for 2 years might be over his head? Not his fault for accepting the job but it's fair to call him out. Players are regressing.

Way to cherry pick two games with combined SEVEN turnovers. Why do you keep ignoring that point, and specifically the point that they turned it over TWICE in the red zone against Minnesota. Those are POINTS OFF THE BOARD. Why does this concept elude you?

Why is it crazy to think he's "over his head?" Because there's no evidence to support his notion. Period. His critics lean on what they think he should be doing, and rarely address what is actually happening. Even rarer is the pause to consider why it's happening.

Referring to him as a "Syracuse OC for 2 years" as if that renders his failure a foregone conclusion is just a lazy critique. Why don't we actually take a look at what he's had to work with in his 23 professional outings: two starting quarterbacks who haven't been on a 53 man roster in 2014, a rookie who lost his job and a journeyman who some fans--YOU AMONG THEM--believe is average, at best.

Couple that with the HURRENDOUS offensive line he's been saddled with and a stable of flawed running backs and we should have an offense that's been ranked 30th through 32nd the entire time he's been in charge of it. To listen to a lot of posters (who have no clue what they're talking about), and you'd think we do. BUT WE DON'T. Hello.

Do we have a great offense? Hell no we don't. And short of ignoring our personnel issues at KEY positions, that's a completely unreasonable standard by which to judge Hackett.

It needs to improve and hopefully, it will.

You mean the fumbles in the red zone? Yeah...that ****'s gotta go.

The great drive we had last game and went eighty yards and scored was when we abandoned the Hackett offense and spread it out. We had three WR the whole time and one RB. The other TD, I even admitted was rewarding bad behavior because we had three TE in. But it was a long pass to Watkins because Orton saw he had one guy on him and he beat him off the line.

The great drive we had last game and went eighty yards and scored was when we abandoned the Hackett offense and spread it out. We had three WR the whole time and one RB. The other TD, I even admitted was rewarding bad behavior because we had three TE in. But it was a long pass to Watkins because Orton saw he had one guy on him and he beat him off the line.

So you're saying we should go full time to an offense that had to drive 105 yards to pick up 80 thanks to penalties, but mostly, sacks?

It is the coaches' job to train players to execute the coaches' plays properly.

It is the coaches' job to teach players what will draw flags and what won't.

That is why they call them coaches and not just "play designers".

If it is the same player making the same mistakes week after week, then you can say it is a player talent problem. If it is different players making the mistakes week after week, then you can place more blame on the coaches not doing their jobs well enough. (In my opinion)

Except he is not a coach ... he is the offensive coordinator. The coaches for any team are the position coaches ... I do not hear anyone calling out the O-Line coach or the RB coach. It is thier job to make sure the players learn and execute what Hackett has in mind.

Edited by A Dog Named Kelso

More than play-calling, it is the groupings, philosophy and system that is the bigger and more troubling problem.

This team's strengths are its 4-5 playmaking WRs, its 4 playmaking RBs, and now, its gunslinger veteran QB.

Its glaring weaknesses are its interior line, power running game, and TEs.

There are ten reasons to spread the field, put 3-4 WRs out there with 1-2 backs, scrap the 2-3 TE sets and let the veteran QB spread the ball around quickly.

There are ten reasons not to play 2-3 TEs, run up the middle, be conservative predictable, and keep a lot of your talent on the bench.

Furthermore, Hackett and Marrone are going to be rewarding themselves for bad behavior because, for example, the first TD to Watkins was a Three TE formation. And we won the game.

They will ignore that the play worked because they simply saw a single guy on Watkins and threw it to him deep because he beat the guy cleanly off the line, and that they won because they scrapped the stupid philosophy and let (were forced into) Orton winging it.

I stuck up for Hackett for a long time, not because I thought he was good, but because I thought no one could have succeeded in the situation he was put in last year. It wasn't fair to say he sucked.

In the first two games this year, and even in the two losses with EJ, it wasn't fair to simultaneously say that there were a dozen wide open plays on the field that weren't made by EJ and then say that the playcalling sucked.

But the line has gotten progressively worse. They stopped playing MWilliams. They increasingly play 2-3 TE sets. The other teams knowing this are increasingly tightening the box and blitzing, which we often don't even have hot reads for. And for three games in a row the offensive game plan and philosophy has been increasingly, glaringly bad. That is both Marrone and Hackett's fault, and it was abysmal yesterday.

I think this is on point. I just don't understand why we don't spread it out more. The talent is with our WR's. To folks who think the dual tight end sets are good because it brings more blockers to help Orton... hello, if you split people out they have to cover them. Removes potential pass rushers from the box. If they blitz let Orton read it and get the ball out to hot routes. I trust him to make hot route reads.

Spread it out, clear out the box. Didn't understand why we NEVER did that to create more natural lanes for Spiller and even Jackson (now Brown, because he's that type of runner too). Don't understand why we don't do that to force linebackers or nickel/dime back scrubs to cover 4 (or 5) talented WRs. Don't understand why there were never middle screens in the game plan for Spiller or bubble screens for Watkins.

There have been some good things, but these things just baffle me. Most successful teams do these things, at least most of the time, if they have the type of playmakers we do. We NEVER do these things, because NH is just so in love with the two tight end set and his bunch trips WR formations. Trying to be too damn clever for his own good. Everything does not have to be game planned to death, Nate. Line up shotgun 4 WR, one RB to block (or dump to). Every team utilizes West coast philosophies to a greater extent than we do, especially the best ones. I don't understand why he is so stubborn on not using basic tools. Is it his ego? Does he feel he has to revolutionize the NFL?

Edited by DC Greg

My single biggest problem with Hackett is that we basically play with 2 downs instead of 3 before we have to punt

Why do I say that? Because he is so predictable on first down with that between the tackles dive running play that teams KNOW he is gonna do it.....and it seems like we get nothing out of that play

Now we are in 2nd and 9 or 2 and 8.......

My only hope at this point is that with a big bruizing back that turns into a 2nd and 6 or a 2nd and 5 more consistantly

it makes a huge difference

Can we name one player who has improved since Hackett became the OC? Isn't that one players are supposed to do? We are 27th in the NFL in scoring and the teams below us are the worst in NFL.

I'm sure he is a good dude but this offensive unit could be the sole reason we miss the playoffs.

My point exactly.

And like it or not people, this falls on the Offensive Coordinator. That's just the way it is. He's just way too predictable. In this league, with the whole preparation that goes around each game, this guy will cost us games.

I think this is on point. I just don't understand why we don't spread it out more. The talent is with our WR's. To folks who think the dual tight end sets are good because it brings more blockers to help Orton... hello, if you split people out they have to cover them. Removes potential pass rushers from the box. If they blitz let Orton read it and get the ball out to hot routes. I trust him to make hot route reads.

Spread it out, clear out the box. Didn't understand why we NEVER did that to create more natural lanes for Spiller and even Jackson (now Brown, because he's that type of runner too). Don't understand why we don't do that to force linebackers or nickel/dime back scrubs to cover 4 (or 5) talented WRs. Don't understand why there were never middle screens in the game plan for Spiller or bubble screens for Watkins.

There have been some good things, but these things just baffle me. Most successful teams do these things, at least most of the time, if they have the type of playmakers we do. We NEVER do these things, because NH is just so in love with the two tight end set and his bunch trips WR formations. Trying to be too damn clever for his own good. Everything does not have to be game planned to death, Nate. Line up shotgun 4 WR, one RB to block (or dump to). Every team utilizes West coast philosophies to a greater extent than we do, especially the best ones. I don't understand why he is so stubborn on not using basic tools. Is it his ego? Does he feel he has to revolutionize the NFL?

Because we can't block and because until three weeks ago, we didn't have anyone under center reliable enough to make those pre-snap reads. May be it will be phased in? Who knows? But the OLine is certainly not equipped to stay on an island.

My point exactly.

And like it or not people, this falls on the Offensive Coordinator. That's just the way it is. He's just way too predictable. In this league, with the whole preparation that goes around each game, this guy will cost us games.

Or because we have an unreliable line, banged up flawed RB's and instability at the most important position in professional sports. May be that's why the offense will keep us out of the playoffs.

Is it because you're afraid fixing the offense will require more than a firing/hiring? I'm beginning to believe this is the case.