This is why Bills run game stinks

That actually was interesting and confirms some of my thoughts on the subject. The issue is not our backs but the blocking.

The good news -- at least with the examples that he showed with Seantrel and Cyril -- is that those problems are easily fixable. He did show any examples of Pears who PFF rates as a disaster at guard.

As an aside, Billick illustrated Bridgewater's issues - he is unable to read/see and waits until he is able to actually see that a receiver is open and by that time it is too late.

Edited by Peter

It's early into Orton's season but since the pass pro has actually been better than the run blocking and he is a QB that can actually throw the ball consistently, I think the offensive plan is going To change a bit going fwd.

Edited by YoloinOhio

It's early into Orton's season but since the pass pro has actually been better than the run blocking and he is a QB that can actually throw the ball consistently, I think the offensive plan is going To change a bit going fwd.

My hope is that opposing defenses will actually begin to respect our passing game and not crowd the box to defend against the run the way they have.

My sentiments exactly! I'd be curious to see if this is a recurring example of ineptitude from previous games? And why after 6 games are they still committing these errors?

I'm now of the opinion that there is one thing and one thing only holding this club back (unfortunately it's a big one): offensive line play. The line fell apart from a pass protection perspective in the San Diego game. I thought they'd fix that as the line got more experience playing together since the Chargers got pressure through a lot of stunts. But then Detroit did the same thing, with the running game falling apart too. I don't think anyone here liked the Chris Williams signing, but in retrospect he was important in keeping this line marginally functional. With another rookie in Richardson in there it's completely fallen apart. Is there a short term fix? Probably not. But Urbik for Richardson or Pears is at least worth a try, maybe with the hope that Kouandjio takes over one guard slot late in the season when (sadly) he'll probably be auditioning to stay in 2015.

Fixing the OL has been a priority for a while. Before they drafted Wood and Levitre, their line was pathetic. Levitre was overrated for sure but at least he was serviceable. I would try straight up hat on hat drive blocking and ditch the zone block scheme. These guys are big so let them fire off the ball and get their target. It can't be any worse.

Cordy Glenn is our best O-Lineman and a potential All-Pro or Pro Bowler at LT. That being said, the guard situation appears to be desperate enough to call for desperate measures. Henderson looked very comfortable at LT during the preseason (granted it was preseason). How about a short-term fix of Henderson LT; Glenn LG; Wood C; Urbik RG and Chris Hairston RT. I still remember how good Hairston looked as a rookie and thought, man this might be our LT of the future.

It's obviously not an ideal situation but it has the advantage of getting Pears out of the lineup and reducing the number of rookies starting from 2 to 1 (as opposed to replacing Pears with CK and having three rookies OL starters). Again, desperate times call for desperate measures.

That actually was interesting and confirms some of my thoughts on the subject. The issue is not our backs but the blocking.

The good news -- at least with the examples that he showed with Seantrel and Cyril -- is that those problems are easily fixable. He did show any examples of Pears who PFF rates as a disaster at guard.

As an aside, Billick illustrated Bridgewater's issues - he is unable to read/see and waits until he is able to actually see that a receiver is open and by that time it is too late.

That sounds an awful lot like EJ.

Cordy Glenn is our best O-Lineman and a potential All-Pro or Pro Bowler at LT. That being said, the guard situation appears to be desperate enough to call for desperate measures. Henderson looked very comfortable at LT during the preseason (granted it was preseason). How about a short-term fix of Henderson LT; Glenn LG; Wood C; Urbik RG and Chris Hairston RT. I still remember how good Hairston looked as a rookie and thought, man this might be our LT of the future.

It's obviously not an ideal situation but it has the advantage of getting Pears out of the lineup and reducing the number of rookies starting from 2 to 1 (as opposed to replacing Pears with CK and having three rookies OL starters). Again, desperate times call for desperate measures.

I don't think it's wise, or prudent, to move Glenn. Instead of strengthening a position, you're weakening two -- LT and LG -- since Glenn would be learning a brand new position for him in the NFL, a position he hasn't gotten a single rep at this year in camp or practice. Fixing the O-Line starts and ends with removing Pears from the right guard spot. Give me a line of:

Glenn, Richardson, Wood, Ubrik, Henderson with Hairston as your swing, and possible replacement for Henderson if he continues to struggle.

Edited by GreggyT

I don't think it's wise, or prudent, to move Glenn. Instead of strengthening a position, you're weakening two -- LT and LG -- since Glenn would be learning a brand new position for him in the NFL, a position he hasn't gotten a single rep at this year in camp or practice. Fixing the O-Line starts and ends with removing Pears from the right guard spot. Give me a line of:

Glenn, Richardson, Wood, Ubrik, Henderson with Hairston as your swing, and possible replacement for Henderson if he continues to struggle.

Time to add a center to the PS and let Urbik get in the scrum.

also i would like to see some more drive blocking as BFoM has mentioned.

Even on PassPro !! start knocking some heads.

Edited by 3rdand12

I like how he still picks the Bills "because this is all fixable," and yet this has been going on for 6 games already.

Then let's get him as our Oline coach because apparently the guy they have isn't teaching them anything!

That sounds an awful lot like EJ.

Billick also said he needs about 500 throws. Did EJ have 500 throws in his tenure?

Is anyone coaching these guys? They are not missing blocks they don't even know who they should be blocking which is pretty basic.

Blocking is a huge problem obviously but playcalling is just as big of a problem and it starts with being in the shotgun most of the game. You can't run out of the gun if teams are not worried about the pass so why not go under center in a more traditional set to give yourself some freaking options instead of shotgun draw over LG and shotgun draw over RG all freaking day. Go back to Pears and Urbik, they could at least run with those guys on the right side

Edited by Max997

Is anyone coaching these guys? They are not missing blocks they don't even know who they should be blocking which is pretty basic.

Blocking is a huge problem obviously but playcalling is just as big of a problem and it starts with being in the shotgun most of the game. You can't run out of the gun if teams are not worried about the pass so why not go under center in a more traditional set to give yourself some freaking options instead of shotgun draw over LG and shotgun draw over RG all freaking day. Go back to Pears and Urbik, they could at least run with those guys on the right side

I like it. Nobody liked Pears at tackle, and everyone got carried away with Seantrel because he's obviously more talented than your typical 7th rounder. But don't let perfect be the enemy of good (enough). No one should have been satisfied with Urbik + Pears, but we did have an effective run game most of the time, which is more than we have right now, and that's even with Lee Smith playing to help out (for longtime/oldtime fans like me, like playing Paul Seymour at tight end)

There has been a lack of fundamental good coaching on this team for years on the offense, and many areas have ignored, and been bad for a long time.

Pears and Urbik were never anything more then stop gap / ban-aids that the team has relied on long after their usefulness has been used up. The team finally decided to replace that RT position this year, and yet keeps trying to fill the OG's spot with garbage players.