Aaron Williams gets us a lot closer yesterday.

qblax16

Really hurt not having Aaron Williams in the secondary today. Not saying we'd win if he'd been able to play, but would have really helped our chances.

We can get away with one below average safety with Aaron out there. We were exposed, and it wasn't the linebackers who were the problem in coverage this week like I feared all week.

Side note - I think I just saw Gilmore get beat for another TD.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Really hurt not having Aaron Williams in the secondary today. Not saying we'd win if he'd been able to play, but would have really helped our chances.

We can get away with one below average safety with Aaron out there. We were exposed, and it wasn't the linebackers who were the problem in coverage this week like I feared all week.

Yup. Got to think he could have defended at least a couple of the throws to Gronk.

Don't blame Gilmore for that TD. He did everything he should have done on that catch but had some bad luck.

OK I'll blame him for the other 6 I've seen him give up this season/preseason...

Don't want to sound combative, but Gilmore is frustrating

Edited by qblax16

But obviously not McKelvin, who gave up the two TDs to LaFell and wasn't in the same zip code on either.

Some folks on this board confuse me.

But obviously not McKelvin, who gave up the two TDs to LaFell and wasn't in the same zip code on either.

Some folks on this board confuse me.

McKelvin has struggled too, but my expectations for Gilmore were too high. I don't expect McKelvin to be a shut down corner. He could have played better too, but the point is Arron can help these corners, and without him out there our secondary is just bad.

McKelvin has struggled too, but my expectations for Gilmore were too high. I don't expect McKelvin to be a shut down corner. He could have played better too, but the point is Arron can help these corners, and without him out there our secondary is just bad.

I agree that the Bills badly missed Aaron yesterday--Duke was horrendous and they had no answer for Gronk. I just always find it funny that Gilmore gets the whoopin' on this board when he's never the focal point of the opposing team's passing attack. I mean, he was targeted a total of 5 times in 37 passing attempts yesterday (I previously said 4 in the Shoutbox...I looked and it was 5, so sorry for the error to anyone that took part in that discussion).

I completely agree that Gilmore needs to make that play on the TD--that's what elite CBs do. He's not elite; he is, however, very good. I'm hoping we see Corey Graham start to take a larger portion of McKelvin's snaps away.

Seriously though but in more ways than just his individual play. I do believe that the Tyms TD and probably the Duke Williams PI would have never happened with Aaron Williams on the field.

I also think Aaron Williams is responsible for play calling in the secondary, or at least audibles. On some plays the secondary just looked completely lost. They weren't sure of the coverage or the position. It was complete chaos on some plays.

I agree that the Bills badly missed Aaron yesterday--Duke was horrendous and they had no answer for Gronk. I just always find it funny that Gilmore gets the whoopin' on this board when he's never the focal point of the opposing team's passing attack. I mean, he was targeted a total of 5 times in 37 passing attempts yesterday (I previously said 4 in the Shoutbox...I looked and it was 5, so sorry for the error to anyone that took part in that discussion).

I completely agree that Gilmore needs to make that play on the TD--that's what elite CBs do. He's not elite; he is, however, very good. I'm hoping we see Corey Graham start to take a larger portion of McKelvin's snaps away.

I don't think you can hang that Tyms TD on Gilmore, he was in good position with his arm in the receiver's chest. Brady is Brady and this **** just happens with him.

If anything McKelvin may have been in better position to tip the ball but decided to watch instead.

I don't think you can hang that Tyms TD on Gilmore, he was in good position with his arm in the receiver's chest. Brady is Brady and this **** just happens with him.

If anything McKelvin may have been in better position to tip the ball but decided to watch instead.

I can see how my post might look like I'm directly blaming Gilmore for the Tyms TD; I did not mean for it to come off that way. It was a tremendous throw and great catch. I just meant that breaking that TD up would have been an elite-level play for a CB, and I thought Gilmore was in position to make that play.

If that's the worst thing we have to say about the guy, he's doing fine. I look at the TDs he's been beaten for this year, and they've each been their own brand of spectacular play. Wallace makes that circus catch in week two, Keenan Allen is blocking Gilmore on Royal's short TD in week 3, and then the play yesterday (for reference, Golden Tate's TD against Detroit was a zone coverage on which Preston Brown completely neglected his drop zone).

If we got competent play from McKelvin (or Graham were given more snaps), I think it's a wholly different discussion. Now, I realize that Graham started at FS yesterday, which limited the time he could play at CB, so perhaps when Aaron Williams comes back that's something they'll consider.

I can see how my post might look like I'm directly blaming Gilmore for the Tyms TD; I did not mean for it to come off that way. It was a tremendous throw and great catch. I just meant that breaking that TD up would have been an elite-level play for a CB, and I thought Gilmore was in position to make that play.

If that's the worst thing we have to say about the guy, he's doing fine. I look at the TDs he's been beaten for this year, and they've each been their own brand of spectacular play. Wallace makes that circus catch in week two, Keenan Allen is blocking Gilmore on Royal's short TD in week 3, and then the play yesterday (for reference, Golden Tate's TD against Detroit was a zone coverage on which Preston Brown completely neglected his drop zone).

If we got competent play from McKelvin (or Graham were given more snaps), I think it's a wholly different discussion. Now, I realize that Graham started at FS yesterday, which limited the time he could play at CB, so perhaps when Aaron Williams comes back that's something they'll consider.

Yeah I was agreeing with you.

It is just so frustrating as a fan. Our CBs on paper should be a strength, but instead are a liability.

The front 7 is now a force to be reckoned with but the CBs are leaky.

No Duke Williams PI, no Tyms TD and the game is a different game.

Don't blame Gilmore for that TD. He did everything he should have done on that catch but had some bad luck.

I hear you but how many times can you say this about Gilmore? It seems like you can say that about him every single friggin week.

Isn't it weird how many times he seems to have a guy covered but yet he ends up giving up a big play to that guy anyway?

Duke WIlliams was the worst player on the field yesterday, for more than the pass interference penalty, his slow jogs in coverage were pathetic.

It's gonna be a rough morning for Duke Williams in this morning's film review session.

He'll be the Hero in the Special Teams Film Review.

And the Goat on the Defense Film Review.

To be fair he has to just make one correction.

Turn your head and look for the ball on defense.If he does this twice instead of run directly into the defender and push he isn't the goat anymore.

It is very coachable mistake for a young player. It took McKelvin 5 years to learn to turn his head and look for the ball. I'm thinking Duke Williams could learn faster than that.

Edited by Why So Serious?