Cleveland Browns

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hang in there. We know the feeling. We were 5 seconds away from it again ourselves yesterday.

You weren't 5 seconds away from being blown out by a winless team with the worst defense in the league. But thanks. Raiders next at home. Hope they don't look past this team as well. Because you know, this team was good enough for people to be checking off wins. Gotta love Browns fans.

I didn't catch your game yesterday, so I am genuinely curious: what happened on the coaching side to lead to such a lopsided loss to a bad team?

I'm sure there was more to it than this, but Pettine's lovely rushing defense we experienced last year was on full display yesterday...the Jags ran 35 times for 185 yards.

I'm sure there was more to it than this, but Pettine's lovely rushing defense we experienced last year was on full display yesterday...the Jags ran 35 times for 185 yards.

Denard Robinson had 127 yards. DENARD.ROBINSON.

I didn't catch your game yesterday, so I am genuinely curious: what happened on the coaching side to lead to such a lopsided loss to a bad team?

They were up 6-0. In FG position on 4th down. Instead of taking the points on the road, they do this schoolyard play where they tried to catch the Jags in a defensive substitution. It failed. No points, Jags get ball and score TD. The Browns never scored after that.

The HC needs to have their team ready to play each week. This team has been ready to play ONCE all year. The other games have been L's or they need a miraculous comeback in the 2nd half.

They were up 6-0. In FG position on 4th down. Instead of taking the points on the road, they do this schoolyard play where they tried to catch the Jags in a defensive substitution. It failed. No points, Jags get ball and score TD. The Browns never scored after that.

We've had that in Buffalo. The field goal makes it a two-score game, but no...somehow the coach is smarter than that.

You can certainly quarrel with the play call (pass instead of a run), but going for it on 4th and 1 in that situation is fully supported by the analytics percentages. Furthermore, not converting there hardly cost the Browns the game--they lost by far more than three points. Making it a "two possession game" means next to nothing with two minutes left in the first half. And if the Browns had tried a field goal there, who's to say (1) they would have made it and (2) that the Jaguars would not have marched downfield and scored after the ensuing kickoff? The fact that you are complaining about Pettine going for it there explains why so many coaches ignore the percentages and kick field goals (or punt) instead of going for first downs and touchdowns on 4th and short--going for it makes them an easy target for second-guessers who are not aware (or don't care) what the percentages say. Edited by mannc

You can certainly quarrel with the play call (pass instead of a run), but going for it on 4th and 1 in that situation is fully supported by the analytics percentages. Furthermore, not converting there hardly cost the Browns the game--they lost by far more than three points. Making it a "two possession game" means next to nothing with two minutes left in the first half. And if the Browns had tried a field goal there, who's to say (1) they would have made it and (2) that the Jaguars would not have marched downfield and scored after the ensuing kickoff? The fact that you are complaining about Pettine going for it there explains why so many coaches ignore the percentages and kick field goals (or punt) instead of going for first downs and touchdowns on 4th and short--going for it makes them an easy target for second-guessers who are not aware (or don't care) what the percentages say.

Mike Schopp?

With the amount of money they had under the cap and their draft position, not to mention the # of picks, you're telling me thais past offseason in Cleveland wasn't a joke? And I'm a Browns fan...

I understand that this post was before the awful showing against Jax yesterday, but c'mon bro, this thread is terrible!

With the amount of money they had under the cap and their draft position, not to mention the # of picks, you're telling me thais past offseason in Cleveland wasn't a joke? And I'm a Browns fan...

I understand that this post was before the awful showing against Jax yesterday, but c'mon bro, this thread is terrible!

Yup! Despite the result yesterday I really like their philosphy in building this team and think they will end up building a sustainable competitive team with this current position they have put themselves in with their cap, building from within, continued draft status etc.

I don't expect the casual fan to be able to look past the front office noise from last year.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

The problem with the analytics that say go for it on 4th and 1 despite being able to kick a FG and go up 2 scores is that it does not factor in the momentum shift that clearly occurred at the end of the half when the Jags turned the failed 4th down conversion into a touchdown.

The problem with the analytics that say go for it on 4th and 1 despite being able to kick a FG and go up 2 scores is that it does not factor in the momentum shift that clearly occurred at the end of the half when the Jags turned the failed 4th down conversion into a touchdown.

Or the fact that in order for the analytics to really mean anything you have to follow them all the time. Kind of like playing basic strategy in blackjack.

If you commit to the analytics over the long haul you'll see the predicted results; you can't combine hunches with analytics.

Two things: (1) There is zero evidence to support the so-called "momentum" factor; and (2) if there were a real momentum factor, would the Jags' momentum have been any less if they had scored the touchdown just before halftime, following a successful Browns' FG instead of after a failed 4th and 1 attempt?

Or the fact that in order for the analytics to really mean anything you have to follow them all the time. Kind of like playing basic strategy in blackjack.

If you commit to the analytics over the long haul you'll see the predicted results; you can't combine hunches with analytics.

I'm not at all sure that's true, but if it were true, why is that a problem with analytics? Edited by mannc

Two things: (1) There is zero evidence to support the so-called "momentum" factor; and (2) if there were a real momentum factor, would the Jags' momentum have been any less if they had scored the touchdown just before halftime, following a successful Browns' FG instead of after a failed 4th and 1 attempt?

Well, a meteorite could have hit the earth and wiped the existence race off the planet...why do we do anything at all? It's pointless...we'll all be dirt in the end

• 3 weeks later...

The Cleveland Browns are in sole possession of 1st place for the 1st time in 19 years and have a 49.5% chance to make the playoffs using a template to build sustained success.

The Buffalo Bills are in 2nd place and have a 12% chance to make the playoffs using a myopic approach.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever