Pats* could be missing starting C

YoloinOhio

Stork is a 2014 draftee who was injured in the preseason. The Patriots were hoping that after the Mankins trade one of the young OL would step up (Stork, Cannon, Devey, Kline, etc). Since both Wendell and Connolly were capable of playing both G and C, depending on which young OL stepped in, it would cause Wendell and Connolly to shift around. Stork is a C, which keeps the two veterans at guard. That seemed to work decently last week (though against arguably the weakest pass rush the Pats have faced so far this season).

I think of Stork, Devey, and Kline, Stork is the best interior lineman, so last week's OL is probably the best they can do. Cannon would be better served staying as swing tackle. If Stork is out, then either Devey or Kline will start at guard, with probably Connolly sliding to C. If that occurs, the biggest issue is not just straight up inside rushers, but stunts. The Pats have shown that their slightly undersized, technician based interior blocking can be vulnerable to movement inside if they are not all on the same page.

good research, informative!

Stork is a 2014 draftee who was injured in the preseason. The Patriots were hoping that after the Mankins trade one of the young OL would step up (Stork, Cannon, Devey, Kline, etc). Since both Wendell and Connolly were capable of playing both G and C, depending on which young OL stepped in, it would cause Wendell and Connolly to shift around. Stork is a C, which keeps the two veterans at guard. That seemed to work decently last week (though against arguably the weakest pass rush the Pats have faced so far this season).

I think of Stork, Devey, and Kline, Stork is the best interior lineman, so last week's OL is probably the best they can do. Cannon would be better served staying as swing tackle. If Stork is out, then either Devey or Kline will start at guard, with probably Connolly sliding to C. If that occurs, the biggest issue is not just straight up inside rushers, but stunts. The Pats have shown that their slightly undersized, technician based interior blocking can be vulnerable to movement inside if they are not all on the same page.

You've posted a couple of excellent posts on line play. Kudos, thanks, and keep posting. :beer:

i think Solder could have a tough time with Hughes because he seems to struggle with speed rushers. Would you agree?

but we could be missing Kyle, Bradham and Freddie.

Bradham should be back. Kyle I think will be out. Freddie is 50/50 but I think that might give Dixon and Brown a chance to play. I think Bradham will be key to have back this week (Kyle would be too but its better to not rush him back too soon as he is key for the long haul).

i think Solder could have a tough time with Hughes because he seems to struggle with speed rushers. Would you agree?

For the most part, though his issues look to me less about the pure speed, but the guys who can change direction on him. A small pure speed rusher can be diverted outside, guided past the QB, or just smothered with size. The hardest ones are those that can start getting the OT moving back and out, then change direction, cut across the front of the OT, and turn it into an inside move. Cameron Wake did this to Solder a number of times against Miami, and the young, confused interior Gs were not giving him the help he needed.

(and for the record, I am a Pats fan. I just like having intelligent football discussions with other people.)

For the most part, though his issues look to me less about the pure speed, but the guys who can change direction on him. A small pure speed rusher can be diverted outside, guided past the QB, or just smothered with size. The hardest ones are those that can start getting the OT moving back and out, then change direction, cut across the front of the OT, and turn it into an inside move. Cameron Wake did this to Solder a number of times against Miami, and the young, confused interior Gs were not giving him the help he needed.

(and for the record, I am a Pats fan. I just like having intelligent football discussions with other people.)

lol I assumed you had to be a Pats* fan in order to know that much about their OL!

The Bills DLine loves to run stunts. Look what Marcel and Jerry were doing last week. They combined for 5 sacks because they were switching back and forth with plays designed to help each other get pressure. The results were unbelievable. Dareus was on fire but so was Hughes. At on point Marcel was double teamed and went between the 2 OLmen splitting them apart and just bull rushing the QB. The Patriots OL better be on their A game because these guys can definitely get to the QB.

What really impressed me the most was this unit generated 6 sacks without Kyle Williams in the lineup. They are giving teams a lot of different looks and still getting the job done. Another impressive feat is the Bills are #1 in stopping 3rd down conversions. They like to stop the run and force 3rd and long situations then they really put the pressure on the QB. I have seen 1,3, 4 & 5 man fronts this year. They like to mix things up. Yes, I'm not kidding....they actually ran a play were there was only 1 man rushing the passer and everyone else dropped into coverage.

This injury report scares me. I assume from the lack of concern on the board, that a lot of these guys are expected to play?

http://www.buffalobills.com/team/injury-report.html

TEAM INJURIES

NAME POSITION INJURY WED. THU. FRI. GAME STATUS Bradham, Nigel LB Knee LP LP LP Questionable Brooks, Ron CB Neck LP LP LP Questionable Easley, Marcus WR Knee DNP DNP DNP Out Jackson, Fred RB Illness/Ankle LP LP DNP Questionable Searcy, Da'Norris S Knee LP LP LP Questionable Spikes, Brandon LB Ribs LP LP LP Questionable Williams, Kyle DT Knee LP LP LP Questionable Williams, Chris G Back LP LP DNP Out Williams, Aaron S Wrist LP LP LP Questionable

Edited by What a Tuel

@SalSports: Big. #Bills RT @Patriots: CB Brandon Browner, DL Dominique Easley and C Bryan Stork have been downgraded to out for Sunday's game.

well, Robert Woods, Eric Wood, and Marcell Dareus will be very happy to hear that