John Rzeznik to sing the National anthem

Legitimate question- are you really asking me to enlighten you as to what real music is or are you saying, if this isn't real music then what is cause I'll be damned if this isn't real music. I couldn't be any more sincere. I really don't know what you're asking. The albums Beggars Banquet through Goats Head Soup by the Rolling Stones (five albums) are real music. The album Shotgun Willie by Willie Nelson is real music. The album Master of Puppets by Metallica is real music. The album Long Cold Winter by Cinderella is real music. The albums Use Your Illusion I & II by GnR is real music. The album Original Gangster by Ice T is real music. The album Rift by Phish is real music. The album Red Clay by Freddie Hubbard is real music. The album Walking Distance by Robert Earl Keen is real music. The album The album Low End Theory by Tribe Called Quest is real music. The album Hard To Earn by Gangstarr is real music. The album Revolution by Miranda Lambert is real music. The album Phantom Power by the T-Hip is real music. The first six Zeppelin albums are all real music. The album 'Round Midnight by Miles Davis is real music. The albums Infidels, Bringing It All Back Home, Blood on the Tracks, Desire and many, many more by Bob Dylan are certainly real music. In my humble (not really) opinion, A Boy Named Goo does not constitute what I would call real music. You? EDIT: I think that all I'm trying to say here is that I was right in line with the rest of you to make fun of Bon Jovi when he was in contention to purchase the Bills but the bottom line is that the lead singer for the Goo Goo Dolls is every last bit as cheesy as Bon Jovi and I appear to be one of very few people on here who is willing to admit that.

You are right on the money. They are pretty much the "Alternative Rock " version of Bon Jovi. Song doctored music ( did Desmond Child ever work with the Goos? He may as well have).

It's nice that a band from Buffalo has had some success, but it's a little awkward when they basically admit that the music is schlock.

Edited by HoF Watkins

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People who claim their music is better than your music << laser pointer guy << douchebags

SDS is right. We should all be accepting of what the recording industry shoves down our throats and simply agree that Justin Bieber is just as good as Joe Bonomassa and some boy band put together by a a marketing executive) is just as good, and valid, as The Band.Actually Bieber and the boy band might even be better, as they sell more records and are more popular.

And it's sad that poor Bon Jovi boy was so poorly treated by Bills fans here. He is an outstanding member of the music community, and Bills fans should have been proud for him to own the team.

Seriously SDS, is all culture equal?

Legitimate question- are you really asking me to enlighten you as to what real music is or are you saying, if this isn't real music then what is cause I'll be damned if this isn't real music. I couldn't be any more sincere. I really don't know what you're asking. The albums Beggars Banquet through Goats Head Soup by the Rolling Stones (five albums) are real music. The album Shotgun Willie by Willie Nelson is real music. The album Master of Puppets by Metallica is real music. The album Long Cold Winter by Cinderella is real music. The albums Use Your Illusion I &amp;amp; II by GnR is real music. The album Original Gangster by Ice T is real music. The album Rift by Phish is real music. The album Red Clay by Freddie Hubbard is real music. The album Walking Distance by Robert Earl Keen is real music. The album The album Low End Theory by Tribe Called Quest is real music. The album Hard To Earn by Gangstarr is real music. The album Revolution by Miranda Lambert is real music. The album Phantom Power by the T-Hip is real music. The first six Zeppelin albums are all real music. The album 'Round Midnight by Miles Davis is real music. The albums Infidels, Bringing It All Back Home, Blood on the Tracks, Desire and many, many more by Bob Dylan are certainly real music. In my humble (not really) opinion, A Boy Named Goo does not constitute what I would call real music. You? EDIT: I think that all I'm trying to say here is that I was right in line with the rest of you to make fun of Bon Jovi when he was in contention to purchase the Bills but the bottom line is that the lead singer for the Goo Goo Dolls is every last bit as cheesy as Bon Jovi and I appear to be one of very few people on here who is willing to admit that.

Three things:

1) "Presence" is an underrated record. "For Your Life" and "Nobody's Fault but Mine" are great.

2) Cinderella did indeed evolve into a better band than most people remember. They were crappy when they started though.

3) Say what you will about "A Boy Named Goo," but I will always appreciate the fact that the band had the good sense and, yes, charitable instinct to cover the seminal yet very obscure "Slave Girl" by the Lime Spiders from Australia. The original came out in 1983 and it is regarded by garage psych fans (myself included) as one of the greatest songs of that genre's long history. Interestingly, the people in that scene in Buffalo at the time (the Splat Cats and various others, the Pink Flamingo DJs, etc. -- all of whom were friends with the Goos) circulated that song around like it was samizdat. It really had this weird popularity in Buffalo's indy/garage rock subculture - a popularity I can't imagine it had anywhere else save Australia. Anyway, I remember when the album came out, and while I don't like the album, I'll always remember fondly that they covered it because it really was a Buffalo thing (I was there). It's not as good as the original (how could it be?), but it's still decent, and the original band (the Lime Spiders) got a nice and completely unexpected check. Of course, Robbie sings on it ...

Edited by dave mcbride

If you really believe I like the album Blood on the Tracks because it's critically acclaimed, I'm not sure I have the energy to defend myself. I almost feel like you're trolling me at this point. Let's just let it go man. I like Dylan, you like the Goo Goo Dolls. It's cool. Go Bills.

That is where you are wrong...I LIKE BOB DYLAN ( so much so Ive seen him 5 times, including once here in Brazil ) and I LIKE GOO GOO DOLLS! ( difference being I wouldnt pay to see a bad live band )

I believe there are many that would say the same. However, holier than thou like yourself typically decides that whoever likes Goo is an idiot. Good luck with that one...I go back to the fact that you are a Bills fan!

Again, I said that Long Way Down was a great driving song. Also Name is a classic for a certain generation ( including me ).

Edited by PO'14

the goo goo dolls are not a band that i like at all. but i will give them their due, they are successful doing what they love doing. and if there are thousands, hundreds of thousands, or even millions of people that love their music, then i certainly won't say they suck just because it's "not my thing".

the goo goo dolls are not a band that i like at all. but i will give them their due, they are successful doing what they love doing. and if there are thousands, hundreds of thousands, or even millions of people that love their music, then i certainly won't say they suck just because it's "not my thing".

Congrats...Some on here dont get it...U DO!

Congrats...Some on here dont get it...U DO!

To be fair, I don't judge the band for making a living. Simply acknowledging that their product is like fast food. Easily accessible, manufactured to appeal to the masses and addictive ingredients layered in. He's the Dave Thomas of rock n roll at this point. No shame in that, and it takes a great many talents to accomplish- just don't tell me it's great food, you know?

After living in several states and two countries, I have come to the conclusion that the music scene in WNY largely sucks. I know many good musicians from WNY, but they did not want to play garbage covers, or mindless pop-rock. I mean, Rochester's most popular bands are cover bands, Uncle Plum and Nick And the Nice Guys. The people en mas just don't want to hear local original music for some reason.

When the most known band from you scene is the Goo Goo Dolls, you know your $#!+ is weak. At least Rochester has Cab Calloway and Chuck Mangione

After living in several states and two countries, I have come to the conclusion that the music scene in WNY largely sucks. I know many good musicians from WNY, but they did not want to play garbage covers, or mindless pop-rock. I mean, Rochester's most popular bands are cover bands, Uncle Plum and Nick And the Nice Guys. The people en mas just don't want to hear local original music for some reason.

When the most known band from you scene is the Goo Goo Dolls, you know your $#!+ is weak. At least Rochester has Cab Calloway and Chuck Mangione

Bufffalo has (had) many great musicians. Bobby Militello is arguably better than Chuck Mangione and still active. So is Jay Beckenstein for that matter. As for Cab Calloway, Buffalo produced Harold Arlen (a great songwriter), Groger Washington, Rick James, B word! And many more.

Overlooked here are some of Buffalo's great local bands over the years. Gamalon. Bobby Jones and Rush Hour. Do any of the Reinhardts still play locally? While I've been gone quite a while, Buffalo was NOT a cover band town, as much as most other places I have lived (I'm looking at you, Long Island).

Buffalo's musical diversity is immense. The focus in this thread just happens to be on pop rock. A shame really.

If the Bills want to tap into local musical talent for such things, why didn't they call John Valby? What better way to usher in the Pegula era than Valby singing the anthem- would be like Leslie Nielson's "Enrico Palazzo"

I meant to give Valby some props in my last post. Good call. (The guy is a pretty damn good musician, actually.)

If the Bills want to tap into local musical talent for such things, why didn't they call John Valby? What better way to usher in the Pegula era than Valby singing the anthem- would be like Leslie Nielson's "Enrico Palazzo"

Yeah...that would be great. Make a mockery of the National Anthem. :thumbdown:

Bufffalo has (had) many great musicians. Bobby Militello is arguably better than Chuck Mangione and still active. So is Jay Beckenstein for that matter. As for Cab Calloway, Buffalo produced Harold Arlen (a great songwriter), Groger Washington, Rick James, B word! And many more.

Overlooked here are some of Buffalo's great local bands over the years. Gamalon. Bobby Jones and Rush Hour. Do any of the Reinhardts still play locally? While I've been gone quite a while, Buffalo was NOT a cover band town, as much as most other places I have lived (I'm looking at you, Long Island).

Buffalo's musical diversity is immense. The focus in this thread just happens to be on pop rock. A shame really.

James Clark Buffalo native jazz guitarist who taught George Benson to play among others I know. A session musican and played on several Grover Washington jr. LP's and Bensons albums. he was a Buffalo giant and is completley unrecognized. One of the best jazz guitarists on earth in his day. had his weekly Sunday jams at No Name for years. RIP bro.