MMQB Deep Dive: Bills D vs. Pats* O

YoloinOhio

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

seems fair to speculate that spikes vs the NE personnel packages will be a big matchup. its what they do well, and he doesnt. couple it with a good chance he might be a little extra aggressive.... im curious to see if schwartz gives him the kind of snap count that he probably wants this week.

I think, of all coaches, after working under Belichik for 15 years, Pepper Johnson had some knowledge about what the Pats* are going to do on defense and has downloaded all of that to Hostler/Hackett/Marrone. He also knows Spikes' strengths and weaknesses well and I'm sure is in on the strategy of what the Pats* will try to create with the mismatches. The Pats* O is very scary, but TBH so was Chicago, Detroit, and SD. I think Rivers is playing better than Brady right now and has better offensive personnel, yet if EJ hits a couple throws we win that game.

Play a 33 D. The old fashioned 33. Go find Dareus right now. Tell him he is the glue, the anchor, the big cheese. That he is going to be tasked with swallowing up OL - 3 of them if possible while Hughes and MWilliams blow up the OT's every play. Aggressive 3 man fronts.

Put Bradham in at WLB and make him smack Gronk in the mouth every time he releases, no matter what. Let him then get picked up by Corey Graham who matches up perfectly to him at nickel.

Bradham watches the backfield, Spikes let's no one pass - Gandolf style he lays the wood at anyone who tries.

Brown seals the edge and watches the extra TE or FB.

Gilmore and McKelvin straight up man over with Duke Williams coming at anyone up the middle in a cover 3 form while Aaron Williams does what Aaron Williams does.

I could stop the Patriots this week.

Play a 33 D. The old fashioned 33. Go find Dareus right now. Tell him he is the glue, the anchor, the big cheese. That he is going to be tasked with swallowing up OL - 3 of them if possible while Hughes and MWilliams blow up the OT's every play. Aggressive 3 man fronts.

Put Bradham in at WLB and make him smack Gronk in the mouth every time he releases, no matter what. Let him then get picked up by Corey Graham who matches up perfectly to him at nickel.

Bradham watches the backfield, Spikes let's no one pass - Gandolf style he lays the wood at anyone who tries.

Brown seals the edge and watches the extra TE or FB.

Gilmore and McKelvin straight up man over with Duke Williams coming at anyone up the middle in a cover 3 form while Aaron Williams does what Aaron Williams does.

I could stop the Patriots this week.

I heard on the radio yesterday they were discussing that with his current OL, Brady is less comfortable facing a 3-4 than a 4-3. That doesn't bode well, and I think KC runs a 3-4. What worries me is Cincy's scheme is simlar to ours. Marvin Lewis has run the same D for like 10 years. He lines his guys up and expects them to win the matchups, nothing too creative. Maybe we do what Miami did? They seemed to rattle him big time. I don't know but they need to bring the kitchen sink.

I heard on the radio yesterday they were discussing that with his current OL, Brady is less comfortable facing a 3-4 than a 4-3. That doesn't bode well, and I think KC runs a 3-4. What worries me is Cincy's scheme is simlar to ours. Marvin Lewis has run the same D for like 10 years. He lines his guys up and expects them to win the matchups, nothing too creative. Maybe we do what Miami did? They seemed to rattle him big time. I don't know but they need to bring the kitchen sink.

somewhere I already put what we must do. Move Jerry Hughes around. Make Brady have to find and account for him on every snap.

It was in the Hughes to space thread.

Just treat Wright as a 3rd WR, and throw Graham or a safety at him. Am I over simplifying this?

yes. You have to take a piece out. A defender must leave and it is likely Spikes.

But I've seen reports that spikes has been playing better against the pass the Brown or Rivers

Just treat Wright as a 3rd WR, and throw Graham or a safety at him. Am I over simplifying this?

who, then, covers gronk? and if you treat him like a 4th receiver, suddenly your passing defense will get run on.... thats kind of the issue with new england.

their offense was designed to create mismatches in the middle of the field. spikes will be one of those guys susceptible, potentially.

the Pats have run all over the Bills the last couple games so obviously stopping the run should be top priority

the atmosphere this weekend should be a lot like week 2 vs Miami but i dont think the game will be as easy

who, then, covers gronk? and if you treat him like a 4th receiver, suddenly your passing defense will get run on.... thats kind of the issue with new england.

their offense was designed to create mismatches in the middle of the field. spikes will be one of those guys susceptible, potentially.

Bradham and Brown, imo, have done ok in coverage for us this year... it seems most teams have a pass threat TE now, so I'm not sure why Gronk is any more special than what we've faced.

Has NE been playing Gronk and Wright in their first 4 games? What did those teams do? I didn't pay attention too much to personnel/formations...

the Pats Every team have run all over the Bills the last couple games (prior to this year) so obviously stopping the run should be top priority

the atmosphere this weekend should be a lot like week 2 vs Miami but i dont think the game will be as easy

fixed!

After this game I hope Pepper gets a ride back to the locker room.

I'm fearful of how they are going to make Spikes play out of position. I'd like to see Spikes blitz the middle and get around Tommy. Make him fear stepping up, push the middle, stunts, et cetera.

somewhere I already put what we must do. Move Jerry Hughes around. Make Brady have to find and account for him on every snap.

It was in the Hughes to space thread.

yes. You have to take a piece out. A defender must leave and it is likely Spikes.

But I've seen reports that spikes has been playing better against the pass the Brown or Rivers

I'd love to see a 3 man front with Hughes hovering and blitzing gaps.

Bradham and Brown, imo, have done ok in coverage for us this year... it seems most teams have a pass threat TE now, so I'm not sure why Gronk is any more special than what we've faced.

If you look at Detroit, they had 2 with Ebron and Pettigrew. The Bills did a very good job shutting them down.

The only team to have real success with their TE was the Bears. Chargers/Rivers went to Green when Gates wasn't open and that worked, although they weren't able to score.

The average game for a TE so far has been 49.8 yards, 5.6 Rec, and 0.2 TD.

Has NE been playing Gronk and Wright in their first 4 games? What did those teams do? I didn't pay attention too much to personnel/formations...

fixed!

They may use him more this week but Wright has been playing less than a quarter of the snaps. Even last week his coming out game he played less than a quarter.

i mean, im not saying its rocket science, but if it were easy the pats wouldnt have had any offense for quite some time... so you might be oversimplifying it a little, in response to the original question.

They may use him more this week but Wright has been playing less than a quarter of the snaps. Even last week his coming out game he played less than a quarter.

They're clearly working him in steadily. He's a good player, and I have a hunch that people will eventually conclude that the Pats got the better of that trade with the Bucs.

They're clearly working him in steadily. He's a good player, and I have a hunch that people will eventually conclude that the Pats got the better of that trade with the Bucs.

They got the cheaper side of the trade, that's for sure. But they got rid of a 5x All-Pro and trusted member of their QB's OL for a UDFA TE and future mid-round pick. The Bucs elected to draft ASJ in the 2nd even though they had Wright... he could be a good player but not sure how "great" he is. A move for the future, but not for the present. That said, if he lights us up because of Spikes, hopefully we can keep them out of the endzone and/or score more points.